Cambridge (3.7%)
Bristol (3.6%)
Wales (3.6%)
Oxford (3.0%)
Birmingham (2.4%)
Bath (2.3%)
Paris (1.9%)

Yes, that's Wales and Paris.

Wait. Wales isn't part of the UK? Does it have some special dispensation from the rest of Scotland?

Hey, I always thought New York was a city.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't quite get how the equivalent of american states and/or counties work outside of the US. I'm assuming there has to be some kind of equivalent but if even GB has them, I couldn't tell you what they are.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't quite get how the equivalent of american states and/or counties work outside of the US. I'm assuming there has to be some kind of equivalent but if even GB has them, I couldn't tell you what they are.

We have a bunch of Counties going back to antiquity of around 1000sq miles or more. Yorkshire, Rutland, Lancashire etc. Nowadays they are just administrative areas with local revenue collecting powers and responsibility for most public services. They used to each have a Sheriff answerable to the King for tax collection and the imposition of laws but now they have an elected council.

Of the 4 countries in the UK, you have England ( the boss), Wales which was a principality subdued by the English, Scotland, joined voluntarily with England in the 18th century and Northern Ireland ( an oddity as we kept that and let the rest of Ireland go as they wouldn't have voted the right way in Parliament apparently)

At various times we also had America, Canada, South Africa, India, Australia and a whole bunch of other uncivilised countries.

Last edited:
Of the 4 countries in the UK, you have England ( the boss), Wales which was a principality subdued by the English, Scotland, joined voluntarily with England in the 18th century and Northern Ireland ( an oddity as we kept that and let the rest of Ireland go as they wouldn't have voted the right way in Parliament apparently)

At various times we also had America, Canada, South Africa, India, Australia and a whole bunch of other uncivilised countries.
That's like the worst explanation of the Acts of Union I've ever read.