What a bunch of BS

Pandora

Flaccid Member
Oct 19, 2004
Atlanta GA!
skewed.textamerica.com
Marklar
₥0
There's been a lot of fuss lately over Immigration reform. The Senate doesn't want to appear too lenient by granting amnesty to criminals, yet they don't want to piss off the constituents who support a liberal immigration policy. They've recently announced a 'breakthrough' in reaching an agreement on the legislation.

Here's the compromise:
While final details were not available, in general, the compromise would require illegal immigrants who have been in the United States between two years and five years to return to their home country briefly, then re-enter as temporary workers. They could then begin a process of seeking citizenship.

Illegal immigrants here longer than five years would not be required to return home; those in the country less than two years would be required to leave without assurances of returning, and take their place in line with others seeking entry papers.

My take? I think it's a bunch of BS. How is anyone going to know how long an illegal immigrant has been in this country? No immigrant in their right mind would claim they've been here less than five years, and how would anyone prove otherwise? Short of requiring all illegals to leave before they can be considered for citizenship they are basically granting amnesty. I think this is only going to encourage more illegal immigration into this country. So has anyone else been following this? What are your thoughts on this?

Pandora said:
I think this is only going to encourage more illegal immigration into this country.

I hear this argument a lot, but I don't buy it. Are you suggesting that it's actively discouraged now? Are you suggesting that there is actually some sort of effective deterrent to people determined to come to the states?

Yeah you'll never prove all of the illegals.

I know a kid who's mom smuggled him into the country when he was 8. Since then she had 2 daughters who are both US Citizens, and since they are minors, the mom can't be deported. The kid who is now in his 20's has been working under a SSN he bought under the table about 6 years ago.

Short of tracking down the true owner of the SSN he's using, theres no way to prove he's illegal, he's got all of the papers of a citizen (although they're faked).

It was actually more of a bother for him to legitimize himself and become legal than to stay hidden, so he didn't bother.

IMHO, its just political grandstanding. I doubt anything will come of it. The Republican party pulled a lot of Spanish votes last election. They want to make sure that they keep it. This will go on for a few months and then die.

So besides paying thousands of dollars in taxes per year, I also have to pay a few thousand more so that my WIFE can come live and work here.

Meanwhile, so long as you've been abusing the system and dodging taxes for long enough, you're welcome to stay.

Fucking brilliant.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Not like they could even find all of the 'illegal immigrants'

It's only a problem because of all the damn public assistance, do away with that and the useless ones would have to start working for a living or go away

The other problem is the people who continue to hire them. They work hard and cheap. As long as we give them jobs, even those who will work won't leave.

Candy said:
The other problem is the people who continue to hire them. They work hard and cheap. As long as we give them jobs, even those who will work won't leave.
And working for cash under the table means no employer taxes, no benefits, nothing like that.

Candy said:
The mind bending business crippling fine for employing an illegal is.... $250!

If they started acutally punishing the corporations that utilize illegals, and fine them assloads of money for every infraction, the problem would quickly go away. Theyre attempting to bandaid a symptom instead of adressing the root cause. So basically this problem will never go away.

itburnswhenipee said:
I hear this argument a lot, but I don't buy it. Are you suggesting that it's actively discouraged now? Are you suggesting that there is actually some sort of effective deterrent to people determined to come to the states?

The only deterrent now is in what little difficutly there is of entering the US and becoming a citizen. If they really are going to allow people who have been here 5+ years amnesty, it'll be a nice little loophole and people will take advantage of it.

Drool-Boy said:
If they started acutally punishing the corporations that utilize illegals, and fine them assloads of money for every infraction, the problem would quickly go away. Theyre attempting to bandaid a symptom instead of adressing the root cause. So basically this problem will never go away.

QFT

Pandora said:
The only deterrent now is in what little difficutly there is of entering the US and becoming a citizen. If they really are going to allow people who have been here 5+ years amnesty, it'll be a nice little loophole and people will take advantage of it.

Oh... and this would derail the clockwork efficiency of current enforcement efforts how?

Go Go Burkian Model!

This is why democracies have representatives. Don't like it? Tough. Move to Botswana or something.

Galen said:
Go Go Burkian Model!

This is why democracies have representatives. Don't like it? Tough. Move to Botswana or something.
Your completely off topic posts add something to my day. Can't quite place my finger on it.

It's rediculous. I think they should have raided the protests and gathered up all the illegals at once. Then deporting them would have been rather quick and painless by comparison.