GAY Welp - f this country and it's lack of common sense

Those are separate issues.

this is the bullshit that causes all the problems. Let's let some tiny group of people decide what is and isn't able to be decided by 15 year olds.

Hmm.

Do we think a 15 year old has the capacity to make an intelligent decision when choosing an elected official? Nope.
Do we think a 15 year old has the capacity to make an intelligent decision when choosing whether or not to get a tattoo? Nope
Do we think a 15 year old has the capacity to make an intelligent decision when choosing whether or not to have alcohol? Nope
Do we think a 15 year old has the capacity to make an intelligent decision when deciding if they want cigarettes? Nope
Do we think a 15 year old has the capacity to make an intelligent decision when deciding if they want to change their P to a V or V to a P? Abso-fucking-lutely. 15 year olds are certainly capable of making that life altering decision. I can't believe we've been denying these mature, introspective, rational teens this opportunity.

:lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: Puff Dabby
I def think it's more of a lgbt thing. Saying they would be allowed to since the medical age of consent is 15 and they aren't sayin. Okay every medical thing unless you're transgender. But the psychs and processes would still stop them from making these decisions if tey in fact are not matured enough.

I def think it's more of a lgbt thing. Saying they would be allowed to since the medical age of consent is 15 and they aren't sayin. Okay every medical thing unless you're transgender. But the psychs and processes would still stop them from making these decisions if tey in fact are not matured enough.
I wish I knew what you just said. I get about half of it then it just goes sideways to the point that I"m honestly not sure what your point was

this is the bullshit that causes all the problems. Let's let some tiny group of people decide what is and isn't able to be decided by 15 year olds.

Hmm.

Do we think a 15 year old has the capacity to make an intelligent decision when choosing an elected official? Nope.
Do we think a 15 year old has the capacity to make an intelligent decision when choosing whether or not to get a tattoo? Nope
Do we think a 15 year old has the capacity to make an intelligent decision when choosing whether or not to have alcohol? Nope
Do we think a 15 year old has the capacity to make an intelligent decision when deciding if they want cigarettes? Nope
Do we think a 15 year old has the capacity to make an intelligent decision when deciding if they want to change their P to a V or V to a P? Abso-fucking-lutely. 15 year olds are certainly capable of making that life altering decision. I can't believe we've been denying these mature, introspective, rational teens this opportunity.

Tl;dr

I wish I knew what you just said. I get about half of it then it just goes sideways to the point that I"m honestly not sure what your point was
I think they made the law as a PC thing to not tick off the gay community. The actual process of gender changing will stop the child from actually changing since there are many psych evals and lifestyle changes that even a mature adult has to go through before they change anything about a person.

But when it comes to 'hey, i'd like to be part of a huge group of voters that can potentially give us all a better direction for the next few years' the answer is 'you're not old enough.' or 'we don't want you to make a mistake or most likely, their best decision in your life.'

15 years old. There's enough hormones already resulting in countless hours of therapy *without sex change talk* helping these kids maintain self control through puberty.
Then maybe you can sponsor a referendum next year to lower that too! Yay democracy!

I think they made the law as a PC thing to not tick off the gay community. The actual process of gender changing will stop the child from actually changing since there are many psych evals and lifestyle changes that even a mature adult has to go through before they change anything about a person.
Yeah, I might could agree with that.

What is the percentage of people who go through an operation like that regret it?

I have absolutely no idea. That's why I wonder if it's an issue. I'm not very familiar with the subject of transgender people in the first place so I don't know if it's pretty well established that by 15 a person can make that kind of decision or if it's still up in the air.

By 15, you've already been through puberty.

started but from what I'm seeing most medical consensus is that puberty lasts at least until 17 for both males and females

plus aren't people still reacting to significant changes in hormones into their early 20s? I've met people who've felt their sexual orientation shift completely long after puberty, is gender identity something else that could shift?

I have absolutely no idea. That's why I wonder if it's an issue. I'm not very familiar with the subject of transgender people in the first place so I don't know if it's pretty well established that by 15 a person can make that kind of decision or if it's still up in the air.
I'd love to find out, since any of the shows/documentaries I've seen all say the people knew as children that they were in the wrong body.

I'd love to find out, since any of the shows/documentaries I've seen all say the people knew as children that they were in the wrong body.

right! I've seen those too...but that feels like selection bias. those are all focused on the people whose gender identity was established at a young age. we simply may not be hearing about the ones that don't realize they're in the wrong body until late teens OR develop those feelings later in life or even lose those feelings. I don't know how malleable gender identity is, I don't imagine it's like sexual orientation but I also don't think it's completely static and the way one feels before puberty is locked down for life

I have a friend who would know. I'll ask. She'll probably have resources we can consult as well. She's very well read on the topic. She wasn't even able to admit to herself that she wanted the change until her 30s and still isn't able to share with the public because she is a male dj on a fairly popular radio station. The changes for her to become fully female at this point are next to impossible since puberty is over and done.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
The amount of the population who are transgendered children is so entirely small. Let them make their mistakes or most likely, their best decisions in their life.

I don't necessarily disagree with that but I thought the point was to avoid the trauma of having to transition after puberty. Is there any thought given to the trauma that this might create for a person? Are we ok with it because it might only negatively affect a handful of people versus the many it will help?

either way I imagine a psychologist still has to approve of the operation, right?

this is one of those things that I don't have nearly enough information to form an opinion about but I feel like it's not as cut & dry as I'd like it to be

There is a huge process to changing. Hormones. Living life as the opposite sex. Psych evals. It's a long process