GAY Well this is interesting

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
Thank you Obama for throwing us another bone.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/01/AR2010060103686.html

President Obama signed a memo last June extending some benefits to same-sex partners of federal workers, including access to the government's Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program.

This is a great step forward in removing DOMA.

I am curious how this works in states like Ohio with their DOMA-like laws that do not recognize even domestic partners.

Only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this state and its political subdivisions. This state and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance or effect of marriage.

Civilly, Ohio does not recognize anything but a marriage and a marriage can only be one man and one woman. Fine, but when an employee is a federal government employee has a partner, they are now required to acknowledge the legality of the relationship. Which one trumps the other?

I imagine it works the way any international or national company works. Just because Ohio doesn't recognize it doesn't mean that a company can't choose to recognize it. A federal employee is a federal employee no matter where they live. If the feds decide to give them benefits, Ohio has no say in it. They don't prevent private firms from doing whatever they choose to do either.

Thank you Obama for throwing us another bone.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/01/AR2010060103686.html

This is a great step forward in removing DOMA.

I am curious how this works in states like Ohio with their DOMA-like laws that do not recognize even domestic partners.

Civilly, Ohio does not recognize anything but a marriage and a marriage can only be one man and one woman. Fine, but when an employee is a federal government employee has a partner, they are now required to acknowledge the legality of the relationship. Which one trumps the other?

Whenever the two are in conflict, federal law will always trump state law.

tumblr_l3cnkvAgdA1qzktcho1_500.jpg

i suppose people would get over it if he didn't spend every tv interview he's ever had talking about it

He just answers the questions. He doesn't make public speeches about it (that often). It's not like he rewords interviewer questions to talk about this. But he does make a point to let people know his history and where he comes from and his philosophies on the matter. A fair more interesting and honorable thing than anything Lindsey Lohan has ever done.

You could compare a lot of people to Lindsey Lohan and they would come out looking like heros. Not the greatest of comparisons.