Pics Well, they totaled the Mercedes.

I have no idea where you came up with that statistic, but it's ludicrous. Of course driving is a better thing than flying per passenger IF you carpool, but it's not like flying is that much more destructive to the environment than driving. The only way that statistic works in my opinion would be if I were the only person on the commercial jet and you had like 10 people in your car and we did the same trip.
My company had a carbon footprint analysis tool up for along time, that's about what we got out of it. Can't find it now, but I'm sure you can google it. I don't think you realize how bad jet fuel is and how much is burned on a single flight...

I put my Tahoe in and did it for 1 year. Then I did the Mercedes.

7.24 metric tons: 12000 miles in a USA 2007 CHEVROLET K1500 TAHOE 4WD 5.3, Auto(L4)
5.35 metric tons: 12000 miles in a USA 2005 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK320 3.2, Auto(L5)

Here is my total life footprint for one year.

Tahoe
Total = 13.11 metric tons of CO2
CLK
Total = 11.22 metric tons of CO2

http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx

I put my Tahoe in and did it for 1 year. Then I did the Mercedes.

7.24 metric tons: 12000 miles in a USA 2007 CHEVROLET K1500 TAHOE 4WD 5.3, Auto(L4)
5.35 metric tons: 12000 miles in a USA 2005 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK320 3.2, Auto(L5)

Here is my total life footprint for one year.

Tahoe
Total = 13.11 metric tons of CO2
CLK
Total = 11.22 metric tons of CO2

http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx

Something must not be right.

Total Car Footprint = 0.55 metric tons of CO2 for my Fusion

3.51 metric tons: 12000 miles in a USA 2007 HONDA FIT 1.5, Manual(M5)

4.68 metric tons: 12000 miles in a USA 2010 Ford Division FUSION FWD FMX Index:118 Eng:2.5 Cyl:4 Auto(A6)

I got it now, ok. That makes more sense.

I could do that myself. I'm trying to see what your real footprint is compared to mine. That's why I filled out the whole thing and posted my totals.

Buy carbon offsets if you really wasn't to be a hippie. That's what al gore does to claim he's green, even though bush is like a thousand times greener.

Buy carbon offsets if you really wasn't to be a hippie. That's what al gore does to claim he's green, even though bush is like a thousand times greener.

how is bush 1000x greener? not trying to bush bash, just curious.

how is bush 1000x greener? not trying to bush bash, just curious.

speaking strictly of their houses, al gore lives in a 20 room energy sucking mansion with a pool, multiple AC's, and all sorts of shit...

bushes ranch is only 4000sqft, and was designed by one of the texas uni's to be extremely green... read up on the ranch sometime, it's impressive what all they did. uses heat pumps, recycles rain water and wastewater for irrigation, etc...

actually, here: http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

speaking strictly of their houses, al gore lives in a 20 room energy sucking mansion with a pool, multiple AC's, and all sorts of shit...

bushes ranch is only 4000sqft, and was designed by one of the texas uni's to be extremely green... read up on the ranch sometime, it's impressive what all they did. uses heat pumps, recycles rain water and wastewater for irrigation, etc...

actually, here: http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

outdated info
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...mansion-flew-commercial-to-copenhagen-talks/1
gore said:
We went through a two-year effort to get the zoning changed to allow us to put 33 solar panels on the roof. We dug seven geothermal wells. What electricity we do use, we buy solely from renewable sources, which is a little more expensive.

email is from 2007 and so are gore's renovations. which was started first? who knows
In 2007, after the renovations, Gore's 10,000-square-foot home -- more than 80 years old -- won the gold or second-highest rating from the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) program.

Like I said, the problem with this is that they always assume you are traveling in the plane all by yourself. I'm not saying air travel is very clean, I'm just saying it's not any worse than any other kind of low efficiency travel.

http://www.sightline.org/maps/charts/pollu_co2transp_ooh

I was wondering how to do that and what it really does if you buy them. Something I keep meaning to look into.

I was wondering how to do that and what it really does if you buy them. Something I keep meaning to look into.

paypal me $50 and it'll offset your carbon for like 6 months. :D

what it *supposedly* does is go to conservation... funds restoring forests or updating power plants or some shens like that. it's a completely incalculable number but they use it to get donations from people who feel bad about their environmental impact. a more efficient use of the money would be updating your own home...

updating all your appliances and AC/furnace plus all your lightbulbs is the best way to reduce electricity. planting bushes/tree's properly are also huge in helping heating/cooling costs. to get off of natural gas, getting a heat pump is huge. if you don't have a smart thermostat (the ones that simply adjust heating/cooling temps based on the time of day) then you should slap yourself :p

paypal me $50 and it'll offset your carbon for like 6 months. :D

what it *supposedly* does is go to conservation... funds restoring forests or updating power plants or some shens like that. it's a completely incalculable number but they use it to get donations from people who feel bad about their environmental impact. a more efficient use of the money would be updating your own home...

updating all your appliances and AC/furnace plus all your lightbulbs is the best way to reduce electricity. planting bushes/tree's properly are also huge in helping heating/cooling costs. to get off of natural gas, getting a heat pump is huge. if you don't have a smart thermostat (the ones that simply adjust heating/cooling temps based on the time of day) then you should slap yourself :p

We've done all that except getting a heat pump. They just don't heat as well. We have updated to a more efficient gas unit though. I was pretty sure carbon credits worked like you said, I just wanted to be sure. I'll just keep volunteering for organizations that help clean stuff up.