Well it's about that time

I know it's different with everyone, but there is no reason to disillusion yourself or others (especially when you have no first hand experience) into thinking you won't "feel a thing" simply because you have had an epidural.

Oh, I'm not doubting your experience at all, I just feel for you, that sucks that it was that bad.

There is not one redeeming quality about child birth. Pain and suffering and life-altering body repercussions to the mother. Financial and emotional burden for both parents. And in the end there is another being on this overpopulated earth.

You really need to stop talking. That's like saying me having my son wasn't worth a shit to the world.

I just had a very bad childhood and I have a terrible self image :(

:heart: to all of those people looking forward to making a new life. I just don't have that level of responsibility. If a child fulfills your life and makes you a better person as well as making child well-adapted and productive for the future, kudos to you, and congratulations :heart: I just don't share the same feeling :(

:heart:

I am not questioning your parental skills. I don't know anything about them. I don't know anything about your kid(s). I don't know how they have fill your life with joy.

Maybe what I said was too harsh :( I apologize for that :heart:

My sister-in-law makes 8 pound babies, and she's shorter than me, poor thing. Her last baby was 8 pounds and she had a tear from hole to hole (they called it a 3rd degree tear) well she had an epidural for the birth and all, but I know for weeks after the birth she had problems walking and sitting and everything.

Poor thing is pregnant again too.

I just don't see how anyone can think that a tear or a cut of one's perineum isn't a big deal and call that "mild discomfort"

I have read that massaging and stretching it with some oil (mineral oil maybe?) for weeks before the due date helps soften and elasticize it so it's less likely to tear during childbirth, but i have no personal experience with this.

:heart: to all of those people looking forward to making a new life. I just don't have that level of responsibility. If a child fulfills your life and makes you a better person as well as making child well-adapted and productive for the future, kudos to you, and congratulations :heart: I just don't share the same feeling :(

Maybe what I said was too harsh :( I apologize for that :heart:

hon, just because you don't share that desire to raise children does not mean you have to criticize the ones that do. shunning people because they breed is nothing but disrespectful and immature. i hate that non-breeders get criticized for NOT having kids, but it doesn't mean one has to turn around and do it to breeders. :heart:

That right there is complete bullshit .. the shit hurts and you do feel it as they are doing it (and if your lucky and you are close to your epidural is about to wear off .. and they use lidocaine to help .. you'll feel the sharp pain of them actually cutting you) .. and it hurts even more afterwards .. for weeks.

I ended up with 75 stiches.

75 stitches? Good lord. Did they use a chainsaw? A 1 inch cut normally should have at most 4-5 stitches.

Well since I had a c-section both times I guess my packing was a bit different, but you should not need diapers, the hospital provides those as well as toilet paper (?). You may want to take along a baby name book if you haven't totally decided on a name, we had 2 picked out and still ended up not nameing the baby for 3 days this time. Not sure about the Nintendo either, as I probably would have gotten annoyed if my husband was zoning out playing video games. A deck of cards is helpful, we also had Uno. We had alot of waiting after the baby was born due to him having some problems, it was the longest 14 hours ever. Take some snacks and some change for vending machines. Also take a robe for your wife and pajama pants if she plans on leaving her room at all. You will also want to pack pj's if you are staying the night. If the Ibuprofen is for you that's fine, but don't bother to take anything like that for your wife, the hospital provides all meds while your there including vitamins. Make sure you have your carseat and if its one that is a travel system make sure you get one of the covers since it will be cold.

Also don't forget to pack the going home outfit as well as whatever you want the baby to wear for newborn pics that the hospital takes.

DS's is plural. It's so she can play too. And I won't need ibuprofen.

OMG all this talk about tearing, I love the way my vag looks... NO KIDS 4 ME EVER!!!

Your vagina is actually extremely good at self healing. My doc was telling us of a colleauge (sp?) of his that goes to a third world country once a year to volunteer his time and the entire time he is there he simply delivers babies as quickly as possible. Regularly, the ladies tear from one side to the other, but they don't have time to stitch them up, so they just send them on their way and they usually heal completely with no signs of ever tearing.

75 stitches? Good lord. Did they use a chainsaw? A 1 inch cut normally should have at most 4-5 stitches.

I'm glad you are surgically inclined.

They don't just stitch up the outside .. they have to cut through several layers of flesh and muscle .. it'sn ot a "simple" one inch cut. You make it sound like you can just slap a bandaide on and walk on out of there.

They have to stitch each layer they cut.

I had a 9lb 11oz baby .. and I wasn't big enough to push him out on my own (there was no tearing) and I didn't want a C-section .. so I had a full episiotomy.

I love when people try to talk to me like I don't know anything, when I already know the answer; makes it even better when it's something I've experienced. :lol:

I'm glad you are surgically inclined.

They don't just stitch up the outside .. they have to cut through several layers of flesh and muscle .. it'sn ot a "simple" one inch cut. You make it sound like you can just slap a bandaide on and walk on out of there.

They have to stitch each layer they cut.

I had a 9lb 11oz baby .. and I wasn't big enough to push him out on my own (there was no tearing) and I didn't want a C-section .. so I had a full episiotomy.

I love when people try to talk to me like I don't know anything, when I already know the answer; makes it even better when it's something I've experienced. :lol:
Aw... it's just Coqui, he knows everything about everything, it's just how he is. It's okay, he's a n00b to the childbirthing thing, he'll see how it is ;)

Your vagina is actually extremely good at self healing. My doc was telling us of a colleauge (sp?) of his that goes to a third world country once a year to volunteer his time and the entire time he is there he simply delivers babies as quickly as possible. Regularly, the ladies tear from one side to the other, but they don't have time to stitch them up, so they just send them on their way and they usually heal completely with no signs of ever tearing.

Jesus H....

That's makes my balls hurt. Like some kind of sympathetic....vicarious.....thing.

Aw... it's just Coqui, he knows everything about everything, it's just how he is. It's okay, he's a n00b to the childbirthing thing, he'll see how it is ;)

Yes I made this thread specifically to test you guys. I already knew the answers.

I think the mofugger smilie is appropriate here.

Jesus, cut Luis a little slack. He only knows what he has been told by nurses, docs and friends. Personally two of my friends told me they had 10 or less stitches. One having only 3. It's not routine at our hosptial at all... they prefer to let you naturally tear.

Yes, it looks like a 6-7 pound baby. I've been measuring extremely average the whole time with ultrasounds and just uterine size. Most of my friends were weighing in a lot heavier baby sizes than mine was at various points. I was worried that mine would be tiny until I read the averages. So far I seem dead on with a friend who had her baby a few months ago and it was about 6.5 pounds.
Keep in mind I'm 5' and a size 2 (well was a size 2) and have gained less than average as well. My mom only had 6 pound babies too.

For those who gave advice, thanks.

Actually the DS will be for him. I'll have my cell phone which has my music, books, bejeweled and solitare on it. In addition it has my complete addresss book, internet access and all that fun stuff. So he can play all he wants on his DS ;)

My list is a bit off from his, but similar

Personal fan for white noise
cell phone & charger
camera & charger
my clothes to go home in
baby's clothes to go home in (snow suit too)... no special outfit needed as we aren't wasting our money on hospital pics. We'll do it at home.
cheapy gown, robe & flip flops for after delivery (possibly shorts for underneath)
cloth diapers to get baby scent on to take home to cats
DVDs
alarm clock
hard candies & snacks
probably my vitamins since I haven't taken a pre-natal (stomach can't handle them). Not sure if they carry gummy vitamins or not ;)
My shampoo, conditioner and facial wash
Pillows

I need to find a nursing bra... not easy for me at the moment since no one carries them in my size except online (and yeah, I am not planning on buying one that I have no idea how it *really* fits)