Well it's about that time

matter of fact, it is. both my labor experiences were wonderful, and i looked forward to each one. think about it..i lie in bed and get massaged, fed, and pumped with good meds. how's that not a vacation?? :D

Well, aside from the insane PAIN and inability to relax, I guess it could be considered such.

don't forget to grease the nurse to ensure a smooth delivery. you don't wanna be the cheapskate in the ward.

It's practically nothing if you have an epidural.

well not really. Have you heard of episiotimies? They aren't pleasant and can take a while to heal if you have to get one. But if it's best for the baby, and it's needed, you'll get it done.

well not really. Have you heard of episiotimies? They aren't pleasant and can take a while to heal if you have to get one. But if it's best for the baby, and it's needed, you'll get it done.

Episiotimes occur maybe 30% of the time, and only are needed if you're pushing to fast and the tissue around the area doesn't expand. Even then, with an epidural, you won't feel them cut and the soreness is minimal (unless they have to cut more than normal)

Episiotimes occur maybe 30% of the time, and only are needed if you're pushing to fast and the tissue around the area doesn't expand. Even then, with an epidural, you won't feel them cut and the soreness is minimal (unless they have to cut more than normal)

My mother got an infected episiotime after my sister was born. She said it was the most painful thing she's ever experienced and she's had bone grafts. Just be sure you pay attention to this seemingly small issue. It's more important than you may think. I hope all goes well for you two.

My wife had to get one because the baby was stressed during contractions so they needed to get him out quicker, it just takes a couple extra stitches, and a while longer to heal.

My mother got an infected episiotime after my sister was born. She said it was the most painful thing she's ever experienced and she's had bone grafts. Just be sure you pay attention to this seemingly small issue. It's more important than you may think. I hope all goes well for you two.

Yeah. If there's one thing I'm not worried about is how Elaine takes care of infections and stuff for herself. She's really good with that.

i didn't have episiotomy with either of my children but still had stitches, if you get my drift. it's not something i ever felt with my epidurals, but boy howdy...you feel it after. let me just say that i'm just now getting back to normal after that 10-lb. baby boy i pushed out. :hi2u:
they can give you a foam spray to use at every, er, sitting, so be sure to get and use that stuff. it kind of numbs it, too.

i didn't have episiotomy with either of my children but still had stitches, if you get my drift. it's not something i ever felt with my epidurals, but boy howdy...you feel it after. let me just say that i'm just now getting back to normal after that 10-lb. baby boy i pushed out. :hi2u:
they can give you a foam spray to use at every, er, sitting, so be sure to get and use that stuff. it kind of numbs it, too.

Yep, we've also heard about how to counter any acidity that may cause more discomfort there. Based off of how much she's grown, we're assuming around a 6-7 pound baby.

Yep, we've also heard about how to counter any acidity that may cause more discomfort there. Based off of how much she's grown, we're assuming around a 6-7 pound baby.

yeah, well, i had an ultrasound not quite a week before he was born that told me he was going to be in the high 7s. um, no. :fly:
6-7 lbs. is very average, though, and that's wonderful!! is she planning for an epidural, a take-it-as-it-comes approach, or all-natural-no-matter-what?

Well since I had a c-section both times I guess my packing was a bit different, but you should not need diapers, the hospital provides those as well as toilet paper (?). You may want to take along a baby name book if you haven't totally decided on a name, we had 2 picked out and still ended up not nameing the baby for 3 days this time. Not sure about the Nintendo either, as I probably would have gotten annoyed if my husband was zoning out playing video games. A deck of cards is helpful, we also had Uno. We had alot of waiting after the baby was born due to him having some problems, it was the longest 14 hours ever. Take some snacks and some change for vending machines. Also take a robe for your wife and pajama pants if she plans on leaving her room at all. You will also want to pack pj's if you are staying the night. If the Ibuprofen is for you that's fine, but don't bother to take anything like that for your wife, the hospital provides all meds while your there including vitamins. Make sure you have your carseat and if its one that is a travel system make sure you get one of the covers since it will be cold.

Also don't forget to pack the going home outfit as well as whatever you want the baby to wear for newborn pics that the hospital takes.

Last edited:
Even then, with an epidural, you won't feel them cut and the soreness is minimal (unless they have to cut more than normal)

That right there is complete bullshit .. the shit hurts and you do feel it as they are doing it (and if your lucky and you are close to your epidural is about to wear off .. and they use lidocaine to help .. you'll feel the sharp pain of them actually cutting you) .. and it hurts even more afterwards .. for weeks.

I ended up with 75 stiches.

That right there is complete bullshit .. the shit hurts and you do feel it as they are doing it (and if your lucky and you are close to your epidural is about to wear off .. and they use lidocaine to help .. you'll feel the sharp pain of them actually cutting you) .. and it hurts even more afterwards .. for weeks.

I ended up with 75 stiches.

DANG!!!! That's absolutely insane. Even with no epidural, I was numbed a touch with lidocane and I only felt minor pain of them cutting me and a few pricks stitching me up with Ky and nothing after I was numbed with them stitching me up with Ian (I tore slightly with him (3 stitches total), no episiotomy). I realize there are certain degrees of tearing and cutting, hopefully their doc will have things to help minimize both.

I know it's different with everyone, but there is no reason to disillusion yourself or others (especially when you have no first hand experience) into thinking you won't "feel a thing" simply because you have had an epidural.