"Well, he's dead now."

the media said:
About a block away, a Marine was killed and five others wounded by a booby-trapped body they found in a house after a shootout with insurgents.

Amnesty also noted reports that insurgents have used mosques as fighting positions, and in one incident appear to have used a white flag to lure Marines into an ambush.

Yeah, they sure as fuck deserve every consideration for their wounded considering the shit they pull. It's fucking war. Just or not, it's still a fucking war and these should not have to worry about dealing with loaded corpses or fake surrenders. If the fucking insurgents want to play dirty, let our Marines play dirty as well. War is an ugly, dirty, thing that despite our many attempts should never be glamourized and sugarcoated for the public. The politicians want to blow so much sunshine up our ass so as to blind us to the fact that our guys are dying because they're not allowed to do their job properly. Regardless of whether or not anyone believes this conflict is justified or not, at the very least let the fucking Marines have a goddamn fighting chance.

SwedishChef said:
no, I mean, why film that situation at all? Video being shot in a potentially hostile environment in a bad situation... that would just be the last thing on my mind is all.
Because war reporters, while annoying to the troops, are essential in writing the history of our society.

FlyNavy said:
Because war reporters, while annoying to the troops, are essential in writing the history of our society.

While I agree with recording history and whatnot... why do THOSE specific acts need to be captured? What is the value of watching prisoners die, or wounded getting shot, or things like that? Some things should just not be recorded in my head...

FlyNavy said:
Yeah, they sure as fuck deserve every consideration for their wounded considering the shit they pull. It's fucking war. Just or not, it's still a fucking war and these should not have to worry about dealing with loaded corpses or fake surrenders. If the fucking insurgents want to play dirty, let our Marines play dirty as well. War is an ugly, dirty, thing that despite our many attempts should never be glamourized and sugarcoated for the public. The politicians want to blow so much sunshine up our ass so as to blind us to the fact that our guys are dying because they're not allowed to do their job properly. Regardless of whether or not anyone believes this conflict is justified or not, at the very least let the fucking Marines have a goddamn fighting chance.
So we are no better than them?

ChikkenNoodul said:
Yeah, but they chop of their heads or something cliche like that. At least we dress 'em up and make 'em unf each other or ride around on 'em naked whippin' 'em like they were horsies, that's pretty original.
We are the kings of funnah.

Pancake Wagon said:
So we are no better than them?
Yes, because allowing our own soldiers and Marines to get killed because they're putting bombs in their dead comrades makes us so fucking moral. Bullshit, we're as bad as them. We've always been, we always will be. Why? Because it's fucking war. It's not like we've never intentionally killed civilians in an act of terrorism, it's not like we've never allowed and assisted ruthless dictators to take control of a government, it's not like we've never harbored traitors and terrorists from other nations, it's not like we've never worked alongside the very people we're fighting and made them a bunch of bullshit promises that started the whole mess in the first place.

No, we're no better than them. Fuck the United States and its' desire to be on a high goddamn horse. We're no more moral than the fucks who hijacked those planes; we've commited just as many atrocities as any other country in far less time yet we try to play off like we're pulling this crap for the good of the people in the middle east? At the very least tell us the fucking truth and just say "We're going over there to kick some ass because we're pissed and we want to gain control of the land for profit in addition to getting some revenge." I'd be a lot happier with this whole crock of shit war and the lying hick that got us into it if they would just be open about it.

But no, we have to pretend to offer democracy to the world when we don't even practice it ourselves. We have to be the humane warmongers, the kind and gentle killers. We have to show the world that we can still kill others yet maintain our political correctness so the blind ass-kissing conservative sheep and the retarded, whiny-ass, pussy fest liberals can bicker like school children over who's method of war crimes is more suited to our holier than thou attitude.

Fuck.

SwedishChef said:
While I agree with recording history and whatnot... why do THOSE specific acts need to be captured? What is the value of watching prisoners die, or wounded getting shot, or things like that? Some things should just not be recorded in my head...
I disagree. You see the footage of a Marine being shot as watching a video of someone getting killed. I would see that as a video of someone saving a life, hundreds, thousands, millions of lives. Those specific moments need to be captured because those of us who will see it, the people that these combatants are putting their lives on the line to protect, should know what they went through. We should know what they had to endure and what the sacrificed for us because without that knowledge we could never truly appreciate what they do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the press when it tries to interfere and cause havok, when all people care about are ratings and careers. But there are still those in the press who are there for the very reason it exists; to inform the public of the happenings of our society. Our history is written by those who observe it and no one keeps more records than the press. As much of a nuisance as they may be on the battlefield, records like that define a conflict. What if there'd been no footage of the Vietnam war? The Korean war? Desert Storm? Do you think we would view all those conflicts, the results, and the people who were part of it the same way without having actually seen what happened there?

Just my two cents..

ChikkenNoodul said:
Uh, actually we do practice democracy ourselves.

That's part of the problem.

Democracies suck.

Republics rule.
:confused: We're a representative republic, not a democracy. This country isn't majority rule, nor is it directed by the common people. Our politicians control the nation, not the people. Voting is a complete joke; our method of voting gives us about as much control over our own government as if they were drawing names from a hat or arm wrestling for their seats in the house and senate.

We're not a democracy, it's just a buzzword we use to shove down other nations' throats with bayonets. Besides, that one issue negates the rest of my post. We are still no better than them in any way. My beef is with people who think "those muslims hate us for who we are" "they hate us because we're free" "they hate us because they're jealous and because they're evil" That's bullshit, they hate us because we're arrogant fucks who don't give two shits about what happens to anyone else when it doesn't benefit us. Does bin Laden hate us because we're capitalists pigs driving SUVs and eating Whoppers while watching HDTV? No, he hates us because we blatantly lied to him and Afghanistan in the 80s. We made them fight our battles and when they wanted the assistance that we promised so many times, we balked.

We're not better than them. How arrogant and self-centered must someone be to think that?

too much thinking in this thread. Time to go poop or something.

FlyNavy said:
:lol: sorry for the rant...
I was all ready to rile you up with a bunch of antiwar antisoldier crap, but then I noticed your discertation on the war and decided it was too late...:D:D:D