Well, cross that location off my list

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
A new bill is on the way for a vote in Uganda called the Anti-Homosexuality Bill 2009. Let me break it down for you and why this is significant.

Uganda has always had laws on the books that gave "aggravated homosexuality" up to life in prison. This new bill stiffens those rulings and adds a few more.

For the basic offense of homosexuality, the immediate judgement is life. Not up to life in prison.

The bill also defines "aggravated homosexuality" as consensually having homosexual relations (oral, anal, jacking off, using toys on, has intent on touching in a "homosexual" way, etc) with someone who is under 18 (but isn't clear if you can be under 18, too, which would be legal here), the "offender" has HIV, the "offender" is a parent or guardian or has authority over that person, or the person is disabled in some way (vaguely), the "offender" has had homosexual relations multiple times. An "aggravated homosexual" can also be classified as someone that drugs another for non-consensual sexual relations.

Offenders classified with the ruling of "aggravated homosexuality" will be put to death.

More over, if a Ugandan citizen commits these acts in another country, even if any of those actions are legal (the minors thing and rape thing notwithstanding) will be expedited back to Uganda and charged as "homosexual" or "aggravated homosexual" and dealt with accordingly.

If you are a business director for an industry that caters/panders/uses homosexuality in anyway, you are charged with a fine and sentenced to 7 years in prison.

If you are a director of a business that supports homosexual rights and civil liberties to be spread to the homosexual population, you are fined and imprisoned for up to 7 years.

If you know someone who has acted in a homosexual manner and do not report your findings within 24 hours, you can receive up to 3 years in prison and a fine levied against you.

In some cases worse that this is the isolation your family would be given because their son or daughter was convicted of a crime like this. Not only can they not marry or have children which is a socially isolating thing for the parents, they have been told homosexuality is a learned response and the blame for the way their children have behaved reflects on them. Whole families will be uprooted if one member of it is declared a homosexual.

According to the bill drafter, the reasoning for these added measures is to "strengthen the nation's capacity to deal with emerging internal and external threats to the traditional heterosexual family" and to "recognize the fact that same sex attraction is not an innate and immutable characteristic". But of which have been disproved by independent studies.

Even more than that is the law that supports witchhunting and threatens that if no witchhunts are performed, those not even involved will be punished.

How does this impact you?

Our secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, was decidedly silent when asked directly that question on a panel about the prospective bill. The Swedish government, UK prime minister, and Canadian prime minister immediately made statements condemning the bill.

That is your leadership.

AIDS and HIV funding for Uganda has not stopped or slowed down after this announcement months ago, nor will it for 2010. While this is good for the heterosexual community and is very much needed, outlawing the population that is at the highest rate of infection in the world treatment is just as punishing as the prison sentence.

Those are your tax dollars.

A group called Family has been supporting with funding and promotions this bill. This is a right-wing American group with support from Senator John Ensign and SC Gov Mark Sanford. One of the members is the Parliamentary that introduced the bill in Uganda.

More details here:
http://www.queerty.com/shock-john-e...+queerty2+(Queerty)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Those are your voted leaders.

Rick Warren of the Obama inauguration fame explicitly withdraws supporting this suffering people in his mega church saying, "I never take sides." Except, of course, his support of Prop 8 in CA.

These are your spiritual leaders or at least the leaders of quite a few thousand people.

My heart goes out to those 500,000+ people in Uganda that were just informed by those of authority and power they are the same as rapists and murderers and should be sought out to be dealt with for something apparently they had a choice in.

I am disappointed with Christian leadership staying out of the discussion or more heinously being involved funding such a bill. The Family is a Christian-run organization that sent over 3 leading ex-gay/anti-gay teachers to Uganda to change people back to heterosexuality which has been clinically found to be ineffective and in more cases than not damaging psychologically.

Rather than praying for the safety and support of others, these people are silent about the mistreatment or actively causing the harm for a natural occurrence with no mention of in mistranslated allegorical literature.

Yes well it's not exactly news that many countries in the world do not like homosexuality Dave, why preoccupy yourself with so much negativity?

Because MY tax dollars are going to this. Because MY government that I voted in doesn't even have a statement. Because this bill is the most anti-homosexual laws of any land in the world. The witchhunt clause alone makes this the most anti-homosexual ruling in history.

I must admit this is a very tenuous indirect effect, but it is still a ruling happening to people of the utmost discriminatory in current times. It should be at least noted and in my eyes unsupported, financially and emotionally.

Not liking gays is fine. Imprisoning them is sketchy at best. Putting them to death is deplorable. Punishing others for even knowing about homosexuals is despicable. Those thoughtful and caring priests that do exist would also be in jeopardy for caring and praying over gays because of this law.

I guess Clinton feels she will lose voters when and if she tries to run for president next election. I dunno, Obama claims he wants to change the worlds opinion of America but his actions of late (and those of his staff) tell a different story.