Thread Welcome to China.. uhh.. I mean Florida!

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
http://www.wtsp.com/news/mostpop/story.aspx?storyid=178322&provider=top

Tampa, Florida -- Meet Joel Chandler, who just paid his $1.00 toll on the Polk Parkway with a $100 bill, he is not allowed to leave unless he provides personal info to the toll taker. The toll taker tells Chandler this is what happens when they get large bills. She says this is what they have to do.

Chandler says to the toll taker, "So I'm being detained?" She says yes sir.

It is a policy the Florida Turnpike authority instituted for people who paid with $20, $50 or $100 bills. After it happened once, Chandler kept testing the system and taped his encounters as he went through the toll booths.

One time a toll taker told him, she wouldn't give him his change unless he gave her the information. Chandler replied, "So I'm being detained." He asked why he was being detained but never got an answer.

Chandler says this is a serious criminal offense, to detain someone without proper legal authority. He says that is exactly what the department is doing.

When Chandler called and e-mailed the Florida Department of Transportation to complain about the policy, he was told there is no policy to detain people who give large bills. He says that made him more concerned, because that meant there were individual rogue toll takers detaining people.

The practice continued at toll booth after toll booth and, if someone refused to provide the information, they were threatened with arrest. One toll taker told Chandler's brother Robert, "I could call FHP. Would you like me to do that, sir?" Robert Chandler asked why she would call the Florida Highway Patrol when he was being illegally detained and the toll taker said he could come up with another form of tender.

Chandler continued to complain and on July 21st at 7:19 p.m., he received an email from the assistant General Counsel of FDOT saying essentially the department didn't know what he was talking about and they don't have sufficient information to investigate.

However, earlier that same day, there were a flurry of e-mails going back and forth in the department saying shut the program down, temporarily suspend it and who should call Chandler and what should they say.

According to Chandler, not only was the D.O.T. not being truthful about the policy existing, but he also says they made a concerted effort to cover it up.

One reason the department might not have wanted the public to know about the program is because of whom was being detained.

Chandler says he thinks it clear from their own documents there was a lot of racial profiling going on.

he sent his brother through to test the system, if he truly thought he was being profiled he would've sent a white guy through to test it. Instead his immediate conclusion is "its cause I'm black".

he sent his brother through to test the system, if he truly thought he was being profiled he would've sent a white guy through to test it. Instead his immediate conclusion is "its cause I'm black".

:lol: totally overlooking the whole point here..

poor government decisions easily dealt with, meanwhile some guy is angling for a discrimination lawsuit or something?

policy was ended immediately and if he had ever made them call the fhp, the situation would've been dealt with then and there.

I heard this story last week, and it was a white guy who saw this and got all up in arms and brought this to the forefront in the first place.

If you give anyone toll booth (until recently) any bill over a 20, they ask you for all kinds of personal information.

I'd get pissy over that too. They say they do it because of counterfeiting, yet they have only gotten like $16 grand in counterfeit bills, versus 100 million in tolls, over the past 2 years. and not once did they take any info related to counterfeiting and give it to the police.

It's bullshit, and a valid issue. There is some discussion how there are some people who could be going to jail over this, or at least a big giant lawsuit.

It's bullshit, and a valid issue. There is some discussion how there are some people who could be going to jail over this, or at least a big giant lawsuit.

Bullsh*t is a bit of a euphemism. It's a flagrant violation of both civil liberty and the law. Did these minimum wage transit workers actually think they had the right to arrest people? Didn't anyone say "What the f*ck is going on here?" :lol:

Sometimes I really wish that Tunisian Influenza would hop the pond.