weird desktop problem

JAXvillain

Curly_Sue
Oct 13, 2004
Marklar
₥0
anyone ever seen an issue where the desktop icons auto arrange regardless of whether auto arrange is turned on or not? happens on this particular comp on all profiles...person wants me to rebuild the damned comp over this if I can't fix it...unbelievable :rolleyes:

haven't turned up anything on google or ms

why_ask_why said:
anyone ever seen an issue where the desktop icons auto arrange regardless of whether auto arrange is turned on or not? happens on this particular comp on all profiles...person wants me to rebuild the damned comp over this if I can't fix it...unbelievable :rolleyes:

haven't turned up anything on google or ms

I can tell this is going to be one of those problems that you wanna punch yourself in the head after finding the simple answer

They are working on my roaming profile right now cause anything that hits my desktop comes back to the desktop after a restart, even if deleted, lol

I will ask them next time they come back in

fly said:
Is it maybe a policy someone thought it would be funny to turn on and/or admin rights issue?

I don't use policies anywhere on the floor but it's worth a look anyway...all users have local admin rights on their own comps so that's not an issue...I have lan admin rights and it didn't work for me either

Does the auto arrange always show selected or does it do it even when it isnt selected?

Thats a per user setting, so its REALLY odd that it happens on all profiles.

Yeah, it happened to someone for me. I'm gonna have to stab myself in the eye to remember what the cause was though.

fly said:
Does the auto arrange always show selected or does it do it even when it isnt selected?

Thats a per user setting, so its REALLY odd that it happens on all profiles.

auto arranges whether selected or not
edit: it still toggles between on and off...just doesn;t work

thrawn said:
Yeah, it happened to someone for me. I'm gonna have to stab myself in the eye to remember what the cause was though.
georg%20jensen%20bo%20bonfils%20dinner%20fork%203335012.jpg

Log on to the PC. Rename C:\Docs & Setts\Default User\ntuser.dat to something else. Log onto the PC with a new account. See if the problem follows. If it doesn't, that narrows it down to a key in HKCU somewhere.

And/or

Try deleting the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DeskView]
"Settings"

on your profile on that PC. It should rebuild it...

fly said:
Log on to the PC. Rename C:\Docs & Setts\Default User\ntuser.dat to something else. Log onto the PC with a new account. See if the problem follows. If it doesn't, that narrows it down to a key in HKCU somewhere.

And/or

Try deleting the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DeskView]
"Settings"

on your profile on that PC. It should rebuild it...

I deleted the ntuser.dat file and logged in as myself and it hadn't been recreated ...I was about to delete my own profile being that you said "new account" above but first checked user rights...she had somehow been demoted to "debugger" instead of local admin...I set her to local admin and it started working again under my profile :wtf:
I have no idea why it started working again given what was done

the reg string above does not exist btw...there is no deskview

You could always try deleting her profile and creating a new one. Of course, copy all pertinent info to save it then copy it back in once the new one is created.

I know sometimes profiles get corrupted for whatever reason.

wonko80 said:
You could always try deleting her profile and creating a new one. Of course, copy all pertinent info to save it then copy it back in once the new one is created.

I know sometimes profiles get corrupted for whatever reason.

it's resolved and it wasn't just this users particular profile that was affected...it was the whole comp