Weekly Zombie Thread

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
So I was watching Modern Marvels the other evening and they were covering the deadliest weapons on the planet. Of course the Tsar Bomba, H-bomb, A-bomb, yada yada yada were all mentioned, and when they came to VX gas a thought occured to me:

Would VX gas kills zombies???

It seems to me that since it is a nerve agent (the poisons inhibit your body from sending it's electrical pulses down the spine/to the limbs), that it would have the same effect on Zombies as humans. From what I understand from most of the movies I've seen (Resident Evil just blurting it out for example) is that the human body retains electrical energy for long periods of time after death, which is what alllows Zombies to re-animate. Would VX not cancel out the transfer of that energy and render them either dead or still alive but unable to move?

Wikipedia:
The VX nerve agent is the most well-known of the V-series of nerve agents. Its chemical name is O-ethyl S-(2-diisopropylaminoethyl) methylphosphonothioate.

The only countries known to possess VX are the United States, Russia, France and Syria. VX agent is considered an area denial weapon due to its physical properties.

VX has the texture and feel of high-grade motor oil with its low viscosity, and its low volatility. This makes it especially dangerous, as it has a high persistence in the environment. It works as a nerve agent by blocking the function of the enzyme acetylcholinesterase. Normally, an electric nerve pulse would cause the release of acetylcholine over a synapse that would touch the post-synaptic neuron. This continues the transmission of a nerve signal over the synapse. The excess acetylcholine is then hydrolyzed to non-reactive substances (acetic acid and choline). VX blocks acetylcholinesterase's diffusing properties, thus causing nerves to fire continuously resulting in contractions of all the "involuntary" muscles in the body.

Often regarded as the deadliest nerve agent created to date, as little as 10 mg is enough to kill an average person. Death can be avoided if an autoinjector is used immediately after exposure. Standard chemical agent resistance pills are also effective. The most commonly used antidote in the form of an autoinjector is atropine. Atropine works by binding and blocking a subset of acetylcholine receptors (known as muscarinic acetylcholine receptor, mAchR), so that the build up of acetylcholine produced by loss of the acetylcholinesterase function can no longer affect their target. This prevents involuntary muscle actions and muscles (like the diaphragm and heart) would not be in constant contraction.

A chemist by the name Ranajit Ghosh discovered the V-series nerve agents in Porton Down, England in 1952; the British government later abandoned the project. In 1958 the British government traded their research on VX technology with the United States of America in exchange for information on thermonuclear weapons. The US then went into production of large amounts of VX in 1961. The US later destroyed stockpiles of the deadly nerve agent (by incineration at Johnston Island in the South Pacific), as mandated by the US's accession to the Chemical Weapons Convention. The US is also destroying chemical weapons stockpiles containing VX in nine other locations, of which one of the sites is in Russia. On June 12, 2005, it was reported that more than 250,000 gallons of the chemical weapon are stored at the depot in Newport, Indiana, about 30 miles north of Terre Haute, IN. The VX is in the process of being converted to hydrolysate to destroy it. VX destruction began May 5, 2005 and on June 12 the facility had destroyed 2,894 gallons of VX. A contained spill of 30 gallons drew attention to the disposal process, but authorities said no agent was released and no one was injured in the spill.

A fictional varient of VX, "VX-2" was featured in the 1996 action movie The Rock. For dramatic effect, the movie exaggerated the effects of VX upon its victims, causing the victim's skin to liquify.

Last edited:
I think you may have a good point here. though, I think that the don't have a metabolism to metabolise the VX gas. You could rip out their heart and lungs and they would still move. So, yes, if the VX gas could be inhaled by zombies and metabolised, it would kill them.

Where is our resident zombie guru? Probably putting up a retaining wall, installing a sprinkler system, cooking dinner, washing the kid, and changing the oil right now...

It just shorts out things... Seeing as zombies dont breathe it shouldnt hurt them much. Just make them walk spaz-tastically

Shotguns are cheaper and more effecient in any case.

FlamingGlory said:
It just shorts out things... Seeing as zombies dont breathe it shouldnt hurt them much. Just make them walk spaz-tastically

Shotguns are cheaper and more effecient in any case.

But see that's the thing. I think zombie's (in the traditional sense) do breathe.

Their brains are shut down except for the barest essentials (the need to feed)

One would have to assume that the heart, lungs, etc. become re-animated.

Now according to the RE zombies, well one became alive underwater so that completely discounts this theory.

I was always under the impression that zombies were driven by a powerful hunger for skin or brains or such... or were at least fired by pure evil or the will on an evil magician.

Also...

I guess it depends on what kind of zombie it is. Some zombies give up if the head and brain are smashed or removed. Some don't... their headless bodies still stumbling and clawing at all in their way. The nerve gas might work on the zombies that can't run without a head, but it definitely wouldn't work on the "keeps going no matter what" kind.

SpangeMonkee said:
I think you may have a good point here. though, I think that the don't have a metabolism to metabolise the VX gas. You could rip out their heart and lungs and they would still move. So, yes, if the VX gas could be inhaled by zombies and metabolised, it would kill them.

Exactly. The gas would have such an effect if it had a way of reaching the brain. No blood flow = no delivery means.

fly said:
Where is our resident zombie guru? Probably putting up a retaining wall, installing a sprinkler system, cooking dinner, washing the kid, and changing the oil right now...

I find it easier to wash the kid and the car at the same time.

b_sinning said:
How do zomibes know which people are dead? Do they smell them. Or can you fool them like in Shaun of the Dead?

They sense it. Like sensing gaydom

Coqui said:
A lot of people's gaydar is off though, so are there many instances of zombie cannibalism?

Young, fresh zombies have been known to get a chomp or two taken out of their arms on occasion.

itburnswhenipee said:
I was always under the impression that zombies were driven by a powerful hunger for skin or brains or such... or were at least fired by pure evil or the will on an evil magician.

Also...

I guess it depends on what kind of zombie it is. Some zombies give up if the head and brain are smashed or removed. Some don't... their headless bodies still stumbling and clawing at all in their way. The nerve gas might work on the zombies that can't run without a head, but it definitely wouldn't work on the "keeps going no matter what" kind.
hmmmmm

there are levels of zombification. interesting.