Weekend dive report, drama!

Terrifying! I've wanted to get scuba certified for sometime now, but it's things like this which would definitely deter me... Hope the guy turns out okay, and very very cool pictures

zengirl said:
Terrifying! I've wanted to get scuba certified for sometime now, but it's things like this which would definitely deter me... Hope the guy turns out okay, and very very cool pictures
I'd say 99.999999% percent of these problems can be mitigated with a good buddy, I always go with my wife who is excellent, I guess some people aren't that fortunate or are too trusting of others.

I didn't get a chance to talk to those two before the dive, like I did most everyone else, because they were the last to arrive so I don't know what their experience was, but I'm guessing they were unprepared for the depth and current.

I didn't know you were from NH - I used to live in Keene; beautiful place, but I would have never thought of becoming certified until I moved here.

I have been diving in places such as Cozumel,Mexico, Key West, the Bahama's, West Palm Beach, Ginny Springs, Devil's Den and another well known cavern called "The Ballroom," (to name a few) and a few times on different wrecks in the gulf of Mexico off Tampa Bay. To date I havent seen anything as beautiful as what I saw on a drift dive in West Palm Beach.

I snorkeled in Jamaica, and I was not impressed with the location of the dive - Jamaica is beautiful though.

I haven't been in several years now. I never even knew there were seals off the coast of NH.

Haha, did you go to college there? My wife and I lived just west of Nashua for three years.

We both got certified when we lived in MA before that, I did my cert dives in a 40' deep pond with less than 6 inches of visibility, she did hers in Lake Winnepesauke up in Wolfeboro NH.

I actually didn't know there were seals there until a couple years ago, but never made it out.

What'd you see in WPB?

ChikkenNoodul said:
Some idea of what the wreck on Sunday looked like (again, not my picture)

chesterpoling-stern-lee66.jpg

Oh crap... I DID leave the water running.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Haha, did you go to college there? My wife and I lived just west of Nashua for three years.

We both got certified when we lived in MA before that, I did my cert dives in a 40' deep pond with less than 6 inches of visibility, she did hers in Lake Winnepesauke up in Wolfeboro NH.

I actually didn't know there were seals there until a couple years ago, but never made it out.

What'd you see in WPB?

Nope, moved to FL and went to College at USF. My Father was originally from Keene, so we moved there for a short period of time to be with my grandparents (6 years or so).

My Uncle was a firefighter who died last winter during a diving excersize in Laconia NH. They were testing new dive equipment, diving under ice. I can't remember the name of the lake, but it was the largest one in that region. You might have heard the story; it was all over the news because he actually went missing for almost 24 hours.

Anyhow, in WPB we saw the most beautiful reef, complete with tons of coral, Parrot Fish, Moray Eels, hammerhead (they stayed away and left us alone) jellyfish, Clown Fish, you name it, it lived on this natural reef. There is nothing like it. At the most our depth reached 60 or 70 feet, and you dont even have to swim; the current takes you along at a nice pace.

Candy said:
My Uncle was a firefighter who died last winter during a diving excersize in Laconia NH. They were testing new dive equipment, diving under ice. I can't remember the name of the lake, but it was the largest one in that region. You might have heard the story; it was all over the news because he actually went missing for almost 24 hours.
Damn, my condolences :(

I remember that story well, it was Lake Winnepesauke where it happened. There was quite a bit of discussion about it on a scuba forum, sad, sad tragedy.

Candy said:
Anyhow, in WPB we saw the most beautiful reef, complete with tons of coral, Parrot Fish, Moray Eels, hammerhead (they stayed away and left us alone) jellyfish, Clown Fish, you name it, it lived on this natural reef. There is nothing like it. At the most our depth reached 60 or 70 feet, and you dont even have to swim; the current takes you along at a nice pace.
Nice :D I'd love to see a hammerhead underwater

My 'seeing god' experiences have been: doing The Maze at Grand Cayman, entering a tunnel at 80' and exiting out of the wall at 110' with nothing but deep blue below, and a night dive on the wall off Grand Turk where you could hear the humpback whales singing

Candy said:

How do things catch fire under water?

Candy said:
They don't dumbass :rolleyes:

It was a dive for training purposes (saving people who are too stupid to know when the ice is not hard enough to walk on)

;)

So the people aren't on fire when they fall through?

ChikkenNoodul said:
I've actually dove with people on the Wolfeboro fire dive team too :(

Oh My, Do you know him? His name was Mark Miller. He was with Laconia Fire and he was a huge advocate for them to get their own dive team. At the time, he was doing these underwater tests to get funding for the new Team and certification for the rest of the guys.

From what they know he got turned around and somehow caught under the ice. It was pretty sad.

The good thing that has come of it is all the funding they have recieved since.

My sister and I left immediatly to go to the funeral and got snowed in in Baltimore. We were too late but I heard it was amazing. Evidently people came for miles to pay their respects.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Damn, my condolences :(

I remember that story well, it was Lake Winnepesauke where it happened. There was quite a bit of discussion about it on a scuba forum, sad, sad tragedy.

Nice :D I'd love to see a hammerhead underwater

My 'seeing god' experiences have been: doing The Maze at Grand Cayman, entering a tunnel at 80' and exiting out of the wall at 110' with nothing but deep blue below, and a night dive on the wall off Grand Turk where you could hear the humpback whales singing

That would be awesome. I'd like to look into a trip like that. I have never been to Grand Turk, but I have seen Grand Caymen. The weather was really bad so we couldn't dive while we were there. Hopefully next time.

Candy said:
Oh My, Do you know him? His name was Mark Miller. He was with Laconia Fire and he was a huge advocate for them to get their own dive team. At the time, he was doing these underwater tests to get funding for the new Team and certification for the rest of the guys.

From what they know he got turned around and somehow caught under the ice. It was pretty sad.

The good thing that has come of it is all the funding they have recieved since.

My sister and I left immediatly to go to the funeral and got snowed in in Baltimore. We were too late but I heard it was amazing. Evidently people came for miles to pay their respects.
No, I didn't know him personally - but I know people who did :(