Weekend dive report, drama!

Arátoeldar said:
Damn I haven't scuba dive for 24+ years. :(

When my father was stationed in Panama he and I learned how to scuba dive under the PADI system. The gentleman who was our instructor was the best diver in the entire Caribbean area. He and I had a lot of fun with that for the year we were in Panama. The only stupid thing I remember doing was during the course we had to bring up a pool grate for some reason or another. I nearly killed myself getting that up to the edge of the pool. :fly:
Nice! Most OW training these days doesn't have you retrieving anything heavy from the bottom, usually that's now in the 'Rescue' class so the agency can make more money

ChikkenNoodul said:
The laws concerning maritime salvage have to be at least 10x more confusing than the US tax code, though generally if the claim is not disputed I think about 80% goes to the finder after a year and a day IIRC.

Then there's taxes on top of that I'm sure

Damn, makes me want to get over my fear of deep water. I'd settle for a hundred bucks for my next crack hit. $200 million is just a bonus.

ChikkenNoodul said:
You're better off searching inland lakes / ponds, the guys that look for golf balls are always finding jewelry and guns :fly:

There was a cool article in the Dallas Morning News recently about a dude who does the golf ball thing across the country. He found a bunch of brand-new cars in a course pond once in what is obviously suspected as an insurance fraud scheme (how fucking dumb is that? Ever heard of the ocean???), guns, an antique jewelry box, and a bunch of other shit. I'm extremely curious how some of that stuff ends up there. It's just so weird.

There's a company here in Dallas that does ocean salvaging. I should go get a part time job over there. That stuff fascinates me. http://www.oceanri.com/

Sarcasmo said:
There was a cool article in the Dallas Morning News recently about a dude who does the golf ball thing across the country. He found a bunch of brand-new cars in a course pond once in what is obviously suspected as an insurance fraud scheme (how fucking dumb is that? Ever heard of the ocean???), guns, an antique jewelry box, and a bunch of other shit. I'm extremely curious how some of that stuff ends up there. It's just so weird.

There's a company here in Dallas that does ocean salvaging. I should go get a part time job over there. That stuff fascinates me. http://www.oceanri.com/
:lol: insurance fraud is retarded, at least ship them to the Caribbean and get paid for it twice

(When I was in the Bahamas several of the rental cars had obviously been stolen from the NY/NJ/CT area, since the EZ-Pass unit was still in place)

If I could do it all over again I'd love to do commercial diving/salvage :(

ChikkenNoodul said:
You can find shark's teeth off of Venice beach

And as Candy said, there's stuff around WPB - I'm sure there has to be more stuff in the gulf

There are quite a few wrecks in the Gulf that are close to our area that you can reach in a semi-small private boat. I used to go out with my Dad all the time and we dove a few wrecks out by the Skyway bridge. They turn into reefs after awhile and you see some pretty cool stuff.. last time there was a huge school of baracuda swimming around the wreck 'BlackThorn'. The best diving I have found within driving distance is in West Palm or Key West.

Certification is inexpensive and in many vacation places you can get ceritified in a few hours.

If we can talk you and Zoe into going to the Keys with us next month we can dive while we are there... ;)