Wedding photography research

In Maryland you can expect to spend $1500 to $5000 on a decent photographer. I wish I had gotten more of a photojournalist than a standard wedding photographer. I like lots of black and white pictures too. I think they can be more dramatic. I wish the guy we had was better at framing the shots than he was. I would expect a photographer to be very professional, stay out of the way, and not be drunk. Sure, pictures are important on the big day, but not as important as enjoying the big day, and if you need to be dragged off by the photographer for a few hours for formal posed pictures, it takes away from your enjoyment I think. I'd be willing to pay more for a photographer who would just follow me around and take pictures as opportunity arose.

This is kind of the basics of what I would like to offer. I want to keep it fairly simple.

8 hours coverage
minimum 400 photos
4x6 of each photo
dvd of all photos

$2800

Intimate coverage (not available fri or sat)
6 hours coverage
minimum 300 photos
4x6 of each photo
dvd of all photos

$1800

Engagment session
20 finished photos
includes a hardbound guest book with each photo in it

$500

Additional options
Albums
Enlargements
Additional Hours

How do those prices sound to people around the country? Completely absurd to any? Ideally, at those prices, we would be living somewhere where we could rent a decent house for under $1500 a month. If it cost more to live there, I would charge more.

This is kind of the basics of what I would like to offer. I want to keep it fairly simple.

8 hours coverage
minimum 400 photos
4x6 of each photo
dvd of all photos

$2800

Intimate coverage (not available fri or sat)
6 hours coverage
minimum 300 photos
4x6 of each photo
dvd of all photos

$1800

Engagment session
20 finished photos
includes a hardbound guest book with each photo in it

$500

Additional options
Albums
Enlargements
Additional Hours

How do those prices sound to people around the country? Completely absurd to any? Ideally, at those prices, we would be living somewhere where we could rent a decent house for under $1500 a month. If it cost more to live there, I would charge more.

Two questions, will you be using film or digital?
Are you a member of the Professional Photographers of America?

If you answer yes to the last and are using film, those prices are pretty much spot on. (and may actually be lowballing it) here in Columbus. With digital, you'd need to reduce by at most $200 the total price around here.

Two questions, will you be using film or digital?
Are you a member of the Professional Photographers of America?

If you answer yes to the last and are using film, those prices are pretty much spot on. (and may actually be lowballing it) here in Columbus. With digital, you'd need to reduce by at most $200 the total price around here.

No, she isn't part of the Professional Photographers of America, though my guess is that is just your average "pay for play" organizations that don't really do anything for you, yes?

IMO, those prices sound a bit low for all that you're offering, really. lke i said, i haven't done a lot of research, but i really think you could easily lift those prices a bit without anyone (here) batting an eye.
i don't know about that friday and saturday parts, though. that might be hard for people to swallow.
and if you're looking to rent at $1500/month, you could buy a good-sized house for payments at most that high or better.

No, she isn't part of the Professional Photographers of America, though my guess is that is just your average "pay for play" organizations that don't really do anything for you, yes?

Well I'm not a professional photographer so I don't know. But I have heard it affects the ability to be hired. (from another non professional photographer - so take it with a grain of salt)

People get married several times in their lives these days. Its okay if you do not have a photographer for each marriage. :lol:

It very much is. You pay your monthly dues and can then submit photos for rating and get certifications and such. They also have some perks, such as legal advice and help if you are ever sued, classes and seminars, things like that.