Web design question

kiwi

Messin’ with Sasquatch
Apr 22, 2005
Summer
Marklar
₥15,728
I want to put a client login page on my website that has a box for a username and password, then when that info is entered and they hit go (or whatever) it automatically takes them to their online photo gallery (so I would have multiple galleries set up and their specific ID would link to their gallery). Anyone know where I could find info on how to do this?

Being a PHP/MySQL man myself I'll of course recommend going that way.

Pretty much any "login"-tutorial should get you started. I don't quite understand the purpose though. A gallery that only one person can look at?

I Robert I said:

Pretty much any "login"-tutorial should get you started. I don't quite understand the purpose though. A gallery that only one person can look at?
She takes the pics for her client, if s/he pays, then they get the password to their gallery.

I Robert I said:

I figured I would have to go in that direction. Any idea where I would find such a tutorial? I've been searching but can't find what I'm looking for.

The way I want it to work is after I do a photo session, I will post that client's online photo gallery with a login and password so they can then give it out to whomever they would like to be able to see their portraits. This will be completely seperate from my main website gallery that everyone has access too. Mostly just to put those parents at ease that are paranoid about their children's pictures being online.

One extremely simple, but ugly as sin, solution would be to just generate a long and complicated string to use as the id/directory name/or whatever and just send them that. The odds of someone just guessing a 10 character long alphanumetric string isn't all that great.

edit: this is just a generic PHP tutorial. Not specific to your needs. wr3kt's post above might be more apropriate.
This is the tutorial that got me started a few years ago. This together with www.php.net and a good buddy who knew more than myself was all that was required to give me a good foundation to build on :)
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/ddws/20.html

Can you not look into setting up the person a free account on something such as photobucket? That way, any pictures they want private access to, they can log in there to get. Assuming you are not trying to brand the site yourself, this should be easy.

My friend's favorite site that also has a cool slideshow thing, is www.flickr.net, I believe. He was also working on something on his own time that did slideshows. I'll ask him how far he is on that.

Kiwi: I have the gallery set up I want (www.mccutchanphotography.com/jenni2) that has a built in shopping cart system that I want. I just want one basic login page to send people to that they can access from my main webpage instead of having to give them a specificed web address to keep track of.

KNYTE said:
Kiwi: I have the gallery set up I want (www.mccutchanphotography.com/jenni2) that has a built in shopping cart system that I want. I just want one basic login page to send people to that they can access from my main webpage instead of having to give them a specificed web address to keep track of.

That is some tight use of Flash right there. I really want to figure out how to do stuff like that...

Can anyone recommend a good site for learning PHP and MySQL? I'm totally clueless about stuff like formmail and cgi-bins and all that crap.

Also we need a website thread! Where we can all post our websites. :-D

Millions said:
That is some tight use of Flash right there. I really want to figure out how to do stuff like that...

Can anyone recommend a good site for learning PHP and MySQL? I'm totally clueless about stuff like formmail and cgi-bins and all that crap.

I would love to learn to do all that stuff someday too, I tried to learn flash but just don't have the time right now. The site that I Robert I posted seems to be a real good basic starting point for PHP, I plan on playing with it to see what I can figure out over the next few days.

Millions said:

Make a thread sir!

kiwi said:
I would love to learn to do all that stuff someday too, I tried to learn flash but just don't have the time right now. The site that I Robert I posted seems to be a real good basic starting point for PHP, I plan on playing with it to see what I can figure out over the next few days.

Flash is where it's at! I love it so much...it's a powerful program and you can do so much cool shit with it.

...but then conversely because I learned Flash and Photoshop and all that...I am totally in the dark about PHP or advanced HTML editing. Shit I just now learned CSS a few months ago!

b_sinning said:
I can take advanced flash, photoshop, just about anything web grahics/web page programming for free from work but I haven't had the free time.

Yea, yea, I don't want to hear about what you can get for free anymore. :p