Thread We should make common sense a high school requirement.

okay. In this case, it is my belief that you are completely wrong. Here's why.

Was there an injury sustained from the crash? YES, there was. It may not have been perceived by the driver, but there was an injury nonetheless as a result of the accident. The law doesn't state that the injury has to be an obvious one. It is the responsibility of the driver to provide his information, which the driver did not do.

I understand wholeheartedly that one must stop when one has hit someone else, and that accident has resulted in an injury. The perception that there was no injury is what I base my argument on. I do this because of a few things, the injury (imo) wasn't that bad since the girl was back at work/school in one week. Also the girl had vaginal injuries, which are not easily noticed. This lends me to believe that the girl was acting fine, thus the injury would not have been perceived.

The perception of the injury plays a big part in this. People can only act on what they know. Now morally, things may be different. Morals are respective to their owner. Should the woman have stopped from a moral standpoint? I would have stopped in that situation, but that's me, and I'm not her.

Indeed, in the driver's mind, there was no injury. I suppose what the driver should have done was provide her information regardless. Is a 17 year old a minor? Does that make a difference?

Indeed, in the driver's mind, there was no injury. I suppose what the driver should have done was provide her information regardless. Is a 17 year old a minor? Does that make a difference?

That would have be the nice thing to do, properly check if the girl was ok, and exchange info.

See WaW? Other people can handle me disagreeing with them.

it's clearly hit & run. if you can't grasp that then I feel sorry for you. I hope you don't end up in jail due to poor decision making skills.

Depends on the state I guess. In Maryland if you leave the scene of any accident you were involved in it is an automatic 5 points on your license. You have to report it as well no matter how minor. It's another few points if you don't provide your information to all parties involved regardless of fault or injury. Also, all minors get a complimentary trip to the hospital to be evaluated unless a legal guardian is present to refuse such services. The minor cannot refuse. It's also illegal to leave the scene of an accident if you witness it even if you weren't involved.

it's clearly hit & run. if you can't grasp that then I feel sorry for you. I hope you don't end up in jail due to poor decision making skills.

And I hope you don't go to jail for going out of your mind and assaulting someone because they disagree with you..

Depends on the state I guess. In Maryland if you leave the scene of any accident you were involved in it is an automatic 5 points on your license. You have to report it as well no matter how minor. It's another few points if you don't provide your information to all parties involved regardless of fault or injury. Also, all minors get a complimentary trip to the hospital to be evaluated unless a legal guardian is present to refuse such services. The minor cannot refuse. It's also illegal to leave the scene of an accident if you witness it even if you weren't involved.

Maryland seems to be the same as Florida. Only if injury is there a requirement for the driver to stop.

I think it's less than half of all murders are ever solved.

I was watching one episode of the first 48 hours and it was some major city in the north east. 2 detectives show up to a homicide. The body is laying there shot up and there is bloody footprints leading from the body that you can clearly see on tv to a hotel room in the background. The 2 cops are standing there scratching their nuts and saying they don't have a clue and it probably wouldn't be solved. A lady actually walked up and said "Fools! Leon did it. Don't you see his footprints. He's in that apartment. He did it because that guy stiffed him on some money for the drugs." The cops looked at her and the footprints and said they were busy and one of the officers would take her statement. Other people in the background were yelling "The guy who did it is in that apartment" and all pointing to the same place. The cops never looked that way and said it'd probably be another never solved crime.

It's ok. I'm sure they caught Leon soon after that for smoking a joint or a different real crime.

Maryland seems to be the same as Florida. Only if injury is there a requirement for the driver to stop.

What I'm saying is that this is not the case. You are required to stop regardless of whether anyone is injured or not. You MUST exchange information with everyone involved in the accident and report the accident. It is impossible to do this if you don't stop and how are you supposed to know if there are injuries if you don't stop? Maryland law recognizes that injuries are not necessarily immediately obvious. Heck, I was involved in an accident where I had several broken bones and I was up and walking around right after the accident. I didn't realize I was hurt because of the adrenaline. I think this happens to a lot of people. I was busy being concerned about others involved. Anyway, that's the law in these parts. I'd provide a link to the MVA, but the pdf seems to be broken right now so it won't help. All I know about any of this comes from having been in these situations. I've been rear ended with no injuries more than once.

OMFG.. after all that there is absolutely nothing new in there at all.. *sigh*

We have discussed the injury part. You assume that the injury was obvious, I'm not so sure it was obvious thus the driver would not be required to stop.

You should always exchange information in any accident. Even a 5 mph bump where there is no visible damage.

Morally I agree with you, though the law says that's not required.

Where she lives, it is.

4549.02 Stopping after accident on public roads or highways.
(A) In case of accident to or collision with persons or property upon any of the public roads or highways, due to the driving or operation thereon of any motor vehicle, the person driving or operating the motor vehicle, having knowledge of the accident or collision, immediately shall stop the driver’s or operator’s motor vehicle at the scene of the accident or collision and shall remain at the scene of the accident or collision until the driver or operator has given the driver’s or operator’s name and address and, if the driver or operator is not the owner, the name and address of the owner of that motor vehicle, together with the registered number of that motor vehicle, to any person injured in the accident or collision or to the operator, occupant, owner, or attendant of any motor vehicle damaged in the accident or collision, or to any police officer at the scene of the accident or collision.

In the event the injured person is unable to comprehend and record the information required to be given by this section, the other driver involved in the accident or collision forthwith shall notify the nearest police authority concerning the location of the accident or collision, and the driver’s name, address, and the registered number of the motor vehicle the driver was operating, and then remain at the scene of the accident or collision until a police officer arrives, unless removed from the scene by an emergency vehicle operated by a political subdivision or an ambulance.

If the accident or collision is with an unoccupied or unattended motor vehicle, the operator who collides with the motor vehicle shall securely attach the information required to be given in this section, in writing, to a conspicuous place in or on the unoccupied or unattended motor vehicle.

(B) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of failure to stop after an accident, a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the accident or collision results in serious physical harm to a person, failure to stop after an accident is a felony of the fifth degree. If the accident or collision results in the death of a person, failure to stop after an accident is a felony of the third degree. The court, in addition to any other penalties provided by law, shall impose upon the offender a class five suspension of the offender’s driver’s license, commercial driver’s license, temporary instruction permit, probationary license, or nonresident operating privilege from the range specified in division (A)(5) of section 4510.02 of the Revised Code. No judge shall suspend the first six months of suspension of an offender’s license, permit, or privilege required by this division.

Note it isn't until after the rule that they specify injuries to be involved.

Well there you go. Someone who can keep there cool, put in a little effort, and come up with a perfect response highlighting the exact and relevant laws to back up their claim. Thank you very much Coqui! I now admit that you are right, and I was wrong.