Halp We have a boofing quandry...

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥83,289
Steam
mattressfish
So the houses in our subdivision are now about 15 years old. The old 3 tab shingles on all of them are starting to wear out. I'd guess at this point probably 30-40% of them have been replaced. A company came through here that said they could get the insurance company to pay for a new roof. I wrote it off as a scam. Well, we've since had a couple of references from neighbors where the process worked, due to some serious wind and hail storms we've had recently.

I decided to call and see what would happen. I figured it was worth a gamble. Even if my insurance costs doubled, it would still take them almost a decade to recoup the cost of the roof. Well, the company came out, said they absolutely could do it. I called the insurance company and put in a claim. The claims inspector came out and did a short survey of the roof and left. About a week or two later, I got a rejection letter in the mail. I contacted the roofer. They asked me to fax them the letter and they would take care of it. Over a period of a month, I called a couple times to ask what was going on. They weren't very communicative. They always said they were working on it and would call me Monday. They never did.

About two weeks ago, I got a check in the mail from the insurance company for the roof. Based on my previous lack of good communication with them, I decided to wait a week and see if the roofers called. If they did, I would have them do the roof. If they didn't, I would start taking other bids. They never called, so I went out on Angies List and found some really, really good guys to do the job. Unfortunately, the original roofer got wind of this and actually stopped by during one of the other quotes I was getting. LOL

So now I'm stuck. I feel obligated to go with the original guy because he's the one that made all this work. However, I really want to go with one of the Angies List guys since they're GAF certified and can actually get me a 50 year transferable warranty, in stark contrast to the 25 year the original roofer quotes. Not to mention, I KNOW the AL people are bonded, insured, and DEDICATED to quality customer service.

What should I do? I really feel like I had a handshake deal (without the actual handshake) with the first guy, but I really want to go elsewhere.

I didnt read beyond the second sentence. Anyone who knocks on your door and offers to replace your roof, or driveway, or anything is a complete scam.

You know better.

And by allowing to deal with the insurance company, you might have right and proper fucked your policy. Expect a massive rate hike, or just to be dropped.

No way in hell should you dig yourself a deeper hole by going with a shady-ass scamtacular company which will likely give you a worse roof than you already have.

You got conned, and somehow "shook" on it. Confirm that that check from your insurance is even real.

i will fly down there and punch april in the face if you go with them out of guilt. Thats exactly the scam.

First guy blew you off until he smelled monies
Its your money, go with whoever you want to

this.

to assuage your temporary guilt, remember this: You want someone 100% dedicated through the end of the job, not just when money will change hands. This speaks to their dedication to doing the job correctly. AND AFTER INSTALLATION SERVICE. It's your roof. you know, it keeps water out of your entire house. If it's done wrong and you need warranty or repairs, who's going to come back?

I didnt read beyond the second sentence. Anyone who knocks on your door and offers to replace your roof, or driveway, or anything is a complete scam.

You know better.

And by allowing to deal with the insurance company, you might have right and proper fucked your policy. Expect a massive rate hike, or just to be dropped.

No way in hell should you dig yourself a deeper hole by going with a shady-ass scamtacular company which will likely give you a worse roof than you already have.

You got conned, and somehow "shook" on it. Confirm that that check from your insurance is even real.
You just couldn't wait to post. Read and comprehend next time, robot. :lol:

You know better.

:rolleyes: I expect this exact knee-jerk response from you. I filed a claim. Relax.

this.

to assuage your temporary guilt, remember this: You want someone 100% dedicated through the end of the job, not just when money will change hands. This speaks to their dedication to doing the job correctly. AND AFTER INSTALLATION SERVICE. It's your roof. you know, it keeps water out of your entire house. If it's done wrong and you need warranty or repairs, who's going to come back?
Good point.

I think fly just wants to do the right thing for our home and for the roofer who did the insurance work so he's trying to find a way to make it right without having the roofer who communicates poorly do our roof.

/runon

the only question you have to ask yourself, is do you want to get punched in the face.

Ill steal 8k from you afterwards if it would make you feel better.

this is the internet, im being hyperbolic.

Go with the best company. You have no contract. They ignored you once already.

There is no scam though.

right. The scam is when the guy says your insurance co doesn't cover it! I've had neighbors change co's so they can get coverage in the future.

Also, a guy came out to my house about 6 yrs ago, and to do anything, I had to sign that I'd go with him if the ins co paid. I didn't sign anything, did a shit ton of referral homework, then had them back out to sign. Unfortunately, my ins co was one of those -too bad so sad- companies. tbh, I thought my roof was fine. It was only 8yrs old.

Domon projected outrage:

b1.jpg

Domon actual outrage:

what_is_a_desktop_computer_man_at_desk.jpg

Or you're wrong. They've done plenty of houses in the neighborhood. Relax man!

doing other houses in the neighborhood isn't the 'key.' Doing houses over the past 10-15-20-30 years in your town and still being reputable is.

My sister had a patio installed. was installed wrong, but found out 3yrs after install when they went to sell. The same guy was in biz under a very similar but legally different corp name. she's a tad neurotic and called lots of attys to see if they could do anything to force a fix, but she was SOL and had to take 1k off the house for the repair.