Way more important than any Australian new....

Silvio Berlusconi has an extensive record of criminal allegations, including mafia collusion, false accounting, tax fraud, corruption and bribery of police officers and judges. Berlusconi has been tried in Italian courts in several cases. Conveniently for Berlusconi, in three of these cases accusations were dropped by the judiciary because of laws passed by Berlusconi's parliamentary majority

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvio_Berlusconi#Foreign_policy

Also 2yrs ago when he was trying to take pensions off people a group of people I know walked past a protest consisting of 70 or so pensioners (many of which were in wheelchairs). Berlusconi's mob tear gassed and battoned the old people to fuck.

Nice guy.

The Italian legal system, trying to contain the excessive length of judgments, allows the statute of limitations to continue to run during the course of the trial. Due to the unceasing slow justice system, the delaying tactics adopted by Berlusconi's attorneys (including repeated motions for change of venue) have served to nullify pending charges on many occasions.

A statue of limitations that was reduced by none other than Berlusconi's government to protect police officers who shot people during the G8 so even though after stalling for x number of years with the trial when found guilty they did not serve time.

Waw man!!

Oh and I went on a tour of Italy for the few years he was out of power and lot of people were relieved - the stranglehold he has over the entire country re: media outlets is astonishing in a civilised country. Do you think it's right for a PM to own the TV channels, newspapers, radio and even a football team so he can ban other political parties messages?

One of the disadvantages of a parliamentary system, the people can't elect their PM. As for the other, sad truth is that many governments of all styles are populated and in some ways controlled by powerful businessmen. You can trace those roots back to almost the start of civilization. Right? No. Think we can change it? we haven't over the past 1000 years, I'm not seeing high hopes for it happening in the next 1000.

Really, we can't. Imagine if, say, in the US, people actually took the vote seriously, and everyone got out and voted, and made smart educated choices. In essence, really show that we want our country to run a certain way. I suspect you would see a great many of those democratic liberties changed in some way. You are either fortunate to work your way into those in control, or playing with the rules you best as you can if you are not. You can change your standing within the system, but you ain't never gonna change the system. Not anymore. Nothing short of a catastrophic world event is gonna change the way this tide is currently rolling.

One of the disadvantages of a parliamentary system, the people can't elect their PM. As for the other, sad truth is that many governments of all styles are populated and in some ways controlled by powerful businessmen. You can trace those roots back to almost the start of civilization. Right? No. Think we can change it? we haven't over the past 1000 years, I'm not seeing high hopes for it happening in the next 1000.

Really, we can't. Imagine if, say, in the US, people actually took the vote seriously, and everyone got out and voted, and made smart educated choices. In essence, really show that we want our country to run a certain way. I suspect you would see a great many of those democratic liberties changed in some way. You are either fortunate to work your way into those in control, or playing with the rules you best as you can if you are not. You can change your standing within the system, but you ain't never gonna change the system. Not anymore. Nothing short of a catastrophic world event is gonna change the way this tide is currently rolling.

I get that but imo this is a pretty bad case considering Europe is supposedly democratic and developed, there is nothing democratic about Italy - it's run by a fascist dictator.

Italy's PM is appointed by the President. The President is appointed by Parliament. I believe MPs are elected in by their local region.

Italy's PM is appointed by the President. The President is appointed by Parliament. I believe MPs are elected in by their local region.

Well that's not the same for all parliamentary governments. Australians elect there PM.

You're right, they don't have to have one, but the pressure from the opposition party and the public would be enough to push them to call an election

Yeah I have no idea why the people are not going ape shit over Brown.

People all around the western world are far to complacent these days.