voting techniques

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
this is not a thread intended to start fights. i'm just curious as to HOW y'all vote. do you vote strictly by party? do you focus on trying to keep a candidate out of office or voting your guy into office? do you take your top three issues and base it on that? do you tally up your agreements and disagreements based on each man's side and vote accordingly? do you consider the VP and team approach or consider only the candidate? do you have a place where you go to compare the men or do you just keep up via news? who do you think is going to win? and what do you think about early voting?

again, please be considerate and respectful. this is HOW you vote, not why you're voting for whomever you're voting for.

I always vote for the most intelligent candidate regardless of party unless it's a 3rd party candidate because that's throwing your vote away unfortunately

Last edited:
In McCain's case the VP is a very important element, moreso than usual.

Character is a huge item I look for in a candidate. I want someone that has morals, is honest, and truly wants to do what is right for the country. (ie. see David Palmer) Someone that isn't power-hungry or money driven. (ie see Bush)

What a candidate 'says' they are fighting for is important, but not nearly as important as character.

My big topics are, of course, the economy, human rights, and not drilling in our environment (other sources of green energy sometime, plz. kthnx)

I take a metric fuckton of things into consideration, and usually spend a lot of hours researching not only candidates but ballot measures being put to vote. If I waste a vote on an issue I know nothing of, I am not pleased with myself. I may as well not vote in that case.

As April said, the VP issue is huge this year. If I had an inclination to vote for McCant before his VP choice was made, the choice of Tailin' afterwards would be enough to change my mind. A VP is just as important as president in regards to a vote because there is always the chance, and in McCant's case, a larger chance than normal because of age, that the VP could indeed become president.

I write in votes for myself.

I live in a state that has went democrat since Nixon so my vote doesnt count. I use the absentee ballot because I cant find the voting station, and I dont want to do jury duty.

Last edited:
woah woah, thats a lot of work

In McCain's case the VP is a very important element, moreso than usual.

Character is a huge item I look for in a candidate. I want someone that has morals, is honest, and truly wants to do what is right for the country. (ie. see David Palmer) Someone that isn't power-hungry or money driven. (ie see Bush)

What a candidate 'says' they are fighting for is important, but not nearly as important as character.

My big topics are, of course, the economy, human rights, and not drilling in our environment (other sources of green energy sometime, plz. kthnx)

i'd vote for david palmer :)

Last edited:
I don't vote because it encourages them. In England both the parties seem to be the same, the things I care about they don't do much about or have already sorted out decades ago.

Plus if I go on the electoral roll my information can be gleened by loads of third parties. Going on the electoral roll = no anonymity.

I try to look at each candidate's record, decide what issues I care about, and then make a choice. I try not to care what they have to say while they are campaigning. There is no way they are going to accomplish even half of what they say they are going to do if they get into office. I don't think they intend to do what they say anyway. I have no idea what I'm going to do this year.

Also, I really wish this wasn't an on topic thread.

For the major elections (president & congress), I know far ahead of time who I'm voting for. It's a combination of their policies and whether I think they're actually a good enough leader to get them enacted. With incumbents that's a lot easier since you can look back at their past performance.

For everything else (mayor, state congress, etc), I usually know a little bit about at least some of the candidates, but then in the couple of weeks before election day I research and decide who I'm voting for. There may be 1 or 2 that I haven't decided on until a couple of days later.

For ballot measures, I turn to the great guide Oregon puts out every year, and just read through that while I fill out the ballot. If it's not clear enough I can always do more research.

I'd prefer to vote for a 3rd party candidate rather than support the two party system that pretty much has a strangle hold on our government. Unless an unbelievable candidate comes forward that makes me believe that they can put the people before their party. Which never seems to happen.

I like to pretend my vote counts and that I have a say in what happens in my state government, and then I realize I live in Illinois, arguably one of the most corrupt states in the country (our former governor is in prison, the current one is being indicted) my vote only matters to me and who I argue with on the internet....

I like to pretend my vote counts and that I have a say in what happens in my state government, and then I realize I live in Illinois, arguably one of the most corrupt states in the country (our former governor is in prison, the current one is being indicted) my vote only matters to me and who I argue with on the internet....

Word up. I feel the exact same way. Except for county sheriff and congressman everything is made or broke on people who live 800 miles away and have never seen a deer.

my voting technique is to try to convince people who may be wavering to vote how I would vote, since I can't legally vote in either the democracy I'm a citizen of, or the one I live in.