Thread Virtual Reality

btw, a disappointing effort from Spielberg that movie was.

you know, having read the book, i liked it. The book was no literary masterpiece either, but it was just nostalgic fun. The movie checked the same box.

I think the Big Couch one, or whatever it's called, is a neat idea to allow people to watch TV together.

@Domon have you tried Plex VR?

bigscreen is what you're thinking of i think. I honestly havent watched too many movies in it yet. Low resolution really shows in VR. For stuff to be sharp, you need 4k, or even better if its available.

Remember, even if you're just looking straight ahead and not moving your head at all, your field of view is 2800x1400. Move your head even one radian, and its double that.

bigscreen is what you're thinking of i think. I honestly havent watched too many movies in it yet. Low resolution really shows in VR. For stuff to be sharp, you need 4k, or even better if its available.

Remember, even if you're just looking straight ahead and not moving your head at all, your field of view is 2800x1400. Move your head even one radian, and its double that.
1 radian? So roughly 60 degrees?

A GTX 1070 and an i7-3770k should be enough to drive one of these things?
yeah, no prob. You wont be able to max stuff, but itll be pretty good.

Im running a ryzen1500x and an 8gb r9 390. the 1070 trashes my GPU, and i do ok.

I am one of those people that is less sensitive to visual artifacts though. Back when response times in monitors was a thing, and people would bitch about 10ms vs 5ms vs 2ms and ghosting, i just couldnt see the difference.

in VR, the "ghosting" style problem is called "reprojection", and occurs when the GPU cant keep up a constant 90FPS. It interpolates at that point and makes up the frames inbetween and drops to 45.

WIth my GPU im reprojecting pretty much all the damn time, and it doesnt bother me, but the purists try to reproject almost never.

the 3770 might be a little weak in some applications. you do get CPU bound much more so with vr than other things.

Although, with a 1070 you might already be cpu bound, thats a beefy gpu for that proc

the 3770 might be a little weak in some applications. you do get CPU bound much more so with vr than other things.

Although, with a 1070 you might already be cpu bound, thats a beefy gpu for that proc

Yeah it is 5 years old at this point.

I tend to notice the little shit. When I was editing video back in the day I could see video errors down to the field, not just a single frame.

Shame RAM is still pricey.

Oh fuck yes, I need this setup

katwalk.gif

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie