Video codecs

thrawn

Flaccid Member
Oct 13, 2004
Marklar
₥0
what codec bundles are you using at the moment?

for various reasons, my computer has now turned into my pc-tv. it's been so long since i've watched something that i downloaded, i dont know what i need.

help me please

I don't use packs. I add individual codecs as I need them. Usually the latest DivX, XviD and ACE (sound) takes care of most things. If not I just start up VLC which will handle the majority of files.

Valve1138 said:
FFDShow for the win
FFD show isn't a really a codec proper. Its a set of fliters and algorithms to make other codecs look better.

I only mess with h264 avc. Its the future, so ya'll might as well get used to it now.

theacoustician said:
FFD show isn't a really a codec proper. Its a set of fliters and algorithms to make other codecs look better.

I only mess with h264 avc. Its the future, so ya'll might as well get used to it now.

but it can be used as a coded to play or the encode to the proper format. Most people use it just like you said as a way to make things look better than actually encoding with it however. It also can handle various audio codecs now includeing AC3

Pretty much what I use is the following

ffdshow (usually a recent nightly unless they are known bad)
Gabest's CDXA filter (keeps VCDs from hanging the system while windows attempts to read the file)
Quicktime (I dont use alternative because you cant easily put in a new qt codec if you happen to need one with it)
CoreCodec AAC decoder and parser (im testing with it. most dont need it You can play itunes files with any other player however if you get rid of the drm however with it.)
Matroska
Gabest OGM splitter
OGG splitter
Gabest CD audio splitter (allows some programs to natively play CD because they think its a file)
Monkey Audio
FLAC
Shoutcast filter

I use a few other ones but those are the main ones. Again, I kind of experiment with some of this stuff for fun so a large part of this you likely dont need. A good read and basically everything that I use is here. http://www.inmatrix.com/articles/mediasetup.shtml

If I had to choose a pack it would be the defiler pack although its rather old.