Variations on a theme (thread): chivalry

I think that is all very easy to say coming from a white male.

really now :fly: even those here who know me would be very surprised to find out what I am :lol:
Because the needs of the minority are recklessly overlooked to the detriment of all.

no, the minority in this case are the business owners who have to hire people they don't want because of affirmative action bullshit. do you honestly believe that without those laws there would be massive firings of blacks and women? do you honestly believe that if given the legal leeway to do so a good portion of businesses would only hire whites or males?

Last edited:
really now :fly: even those here who know me would be very surprised to find out what I am :lol:

no, the minority in this case are the business owners who have to hire people they don't want because of affirmative action bullshit. do you honestly believe that without those laws there would be massive firings of blacks and women? do you honestly believe that if given the legal leeway to do so a good portion of businesses would only hire whites or males?

Probably not. Know why? Affirmative Action. Go back to the 1950s and skip civil rights. You can't honestly tell me that black people would be be presidential candidates today, I don't care how rosy your glasses are.

The choice to find another job. The choice to tell all your friends and family that this company is racist and not to shop there. The choice to go to your local newspaper and have them print an article about this company. But basically you have the choice not to work there and the employer should have the choice of whether or not to hire you.

Because, as he pointed out, the concept of "civil rights" encompasses the ones enumerated by the Constitution. I brought up the Civil Rights Act to point out what you should have been referring to and then mentioned that it goes way too far and needs to be reexamined.

Bottom line: if I own an accounting firm and feel that if I hire only asians and jews my company will be successful, I should be allowed to. If I own an auto shop and feel that women can't fix cars as well as men and thus refuse to hire any, I should be allowed to. There is absolutely no good reason to do otherwise except the idea of entitlement that some groups feel. No one has the right to expect work. Everyone has the responsibility to find it on their own.

What you have just said successfully flies in the face of everything a republic stands for. You probably need to move to Bahrain or something.

Isn't that the truth.

coming from another person that has no idea what I am :fly:
Probably not. Know why? Affirmative Action. Go back to the 1950s and skip civil rights. You can't honestly tell me that black people would be be presidential candidates today, I don't care how rosy your glasses are.

:tard: did I say those things should not have happened in the first place? read what I'm actually putting down, not what you want to see.
What you have just said successfully flies in the face of everything a republic stands for. You probably need to move to Bahrain or something.

lol how so?

So then you are for civil rights and stuff. Cool.

Civil rights, yes. The Civil Rights Act today, no. While no government - federal, state or local - should ever be allowed to discriminate based on any of the protected classes (and sexual preference, imho) I also believe that private entities should be allowed to discriminate based on whatever the hell they want.

The same way that you are allowed to ban all asian members from this forum and say that they're not allowed to post or even register here a business owner should be allowed to do the same. The same way I have the right to prevent anyone of a particular religion from entering my home I should be able to do the same if I run a store.

Civil rights, yes. The Civil Rights Act today, no. While no government - federal, state or local - should ever be allowed to discriminate based on any of the protected classes (and sexual preference, imho) I also believe that private entities should be allowed to discriminate based on whatever the hell they want.

The same way that you are allowed to ban all asian members from this forum and say that they're not allowed to post or even register here a business owner should be allowed to do the same. The same way I have the right to prevent anyone of a particular religion from entering my home I should be able to do the same if I run a store.

Before you were talking about Wal-Mart, and now you said private business. When you say private do you mean sole proprietorship and partnerships or are you actually talking about all businesses, including publicly owned corporations? I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

Before you were talking about Wal-Mart, and now you said private business. When you say private do you mean sole proprietorship and partnerships or are you actually talking about all businesses, including publicly owned corporations? I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

You're right, publicly traded companies are a different story. Still, if every shareholder of walmart felt the same way about the issue (I know, impossible) then yes, it should be allowed to operate as it wishes.

You're right, publicly traded companies are a different story. Still, if every shareholder of walmart felt the same way about the issue (I know, impossible) then yes, it should be allowed to operate as it wishes.

Im still attempting to figure out how publicly traded corporations arent private. Private generally means "not run or supported by the government". So, like the Post Office is a non-traded corporation but it's public seeing as your tax money subsidizes it.

Private/public companies feed the government. Where do you think politicians come from? They can work for private companies before taking office. If you allow companies to discriminate, you are basically affecting the government.

Your theory of how it would work in now way reflects the reality of how it would pan out.

Okay, so you were for it, before you were against it? What.

Without the civil rights movement and subsequent laws, minorities are likely to not have the slightest foothold in this country. From what you said previously, you agree with that, but still think the laws shouldn't exist? What am I missing?

Private/public companies feed the government. Where do you think politicians come from? They can work for private companies before taking office. If you allow companies to discriminate, you are basically affecting the government.

Your theory of how it would work in now way reflects the reality of how it would pan out.
No, a racist politician that owns a racist grocery store can be as racist as he wants but once he's an elected official the government as a whole is prevented from doing those things. Just because he runs his business a certain way does not mean he has the leeway to run his political office that way. Once again, government has legal boundries it cannot cross. Private business should not have many of those same boundries.

Why should said business owner have to accept people he doesn't want in his store when he doesn't have to accept them into his home?

So what is with the coyness, just come out and say what you are.

Guessing you are a 1/4 black.
not even close but it is amusing how people like to assume that because you hold a certain point of view you must fit into a particular stereotype. just like everyone that wants to end the war on drugs is a pothead, everyone that supports gay marriage is a fruit and everyone that despises abortion is a bible thumper

He was unable to further his argument and instead popped out with a baseless and incorrect assumption.
Okay, so you were for it, before you were against it? What.

Without the civil rights movement and subsequent laws, minorities are likely to not have the slightest foothold in this country. From what you said previously, you agree with that, but still think the laws shouldn't exist? What am I missing?

Your first question is too confusing to figure out. :confused:

You're missing what I've clearly pointed out. When the Civil Rights Act was written the culture was different, the attitude of the society was different. I despise the concept of legislating morality when those laws do nothing more than create victimless crimes but it was unfortunately a very necessary evil at the time. Today, however, those laws are not necessary in the private sector. There are enough black, hispanic, asian, female, jewish, <insert minority here> business owners and citizens of wealth that there would be no shortage of jobs for them even if all the racist and bigoted white male business owners decided to fire their minority employees and ban non-whites and females from patronizing their businesses that everyone else would still have PLENTY of choice in employment and places to shop, eat and watch movies.

not even close but it is amusing how people like to assume that because you hold a certain point of view you must fit into a particular stereotype. just like everyone that wants to end the war on drugs is a pothead, everyone that supports gay marriage is a fruit and everyone that despises abortion is a bible thumper

He was unable to further his argument and instead popped out with a baseless and incorrect assumption.

If that wasn't the case stereotypes wouldn't hold any water. Anyways, what is it then?

No, a racist politician that owns a racist grocery store can be as racist as he wants but once he's an elected official the government as a whole is prevented from doing those things. Just because he runs his business a certain way does not mean he has the leeway to run his political office that way. Once again, government has legal boundries it cannot cross. Private business should not have many of those same boundries.
If you think just because they get voted to public office that they will stop skewing things to whatever ethnicity they prefer, then you're very naive. There are always loopholes and ways around laws.

Why should said business owner have to accept people he doesn't want in his store when he doesn't have to accept them into his home?
You're basically empowering our society to become more segregated. Seems rather backwards to me.

Weren't you the one that posted some threads about going to work and all that? If so, those pictures showed your arm, and it looked like the arm of a white person. I know you are a male, so it wasn't a completely baseless statement.