Vacation to DisneyWorld

Sarcasmo said:
I'm actually terrified of the fact that as he gets older the only outlet for his boredom might be a shopping mall. I'd like to move to Atlanta. Close to Appalachia for hiking, the ocean for swimming and fishing, that new huge aquarium, one of my attorneys is moving there and needs a paralegal, etc.
Please God tell me you're kidding.

Sarcasmo said:
What neighborhood do you live in? I'd be interested in buying a house maybe two or three doors down from you.
I'd move. I don't need creepy old men sitting outside my window jerking off while I play Katamari.

Sarcasmo said:
Ethan's grandparents (mom's side) live about 15 minutes from Disneyland. He's not even three yet and he's been there about 16 times. I've never been once and I'd like to keep it that way.

You have to understand that I grew up in a place without "theme parks". The closest thing would have to be the massive Kristiansand Dyrepark in Norway, several hours away. ( http://www.dyreparken.com/index.jsp?c=18273 ) That place kicked ass when I was growing up, and actually now that I look at that website, they've since added theme parks and entertainment crap. :lol: D'oh! When I was there it was an enormous zoo, spread out all over the place. Just a huge preserve that took forever to fully explore. Oh well.

I dig natural, real things. Outdoors, exploring, etc. Of course in Norway kids can go out for 13 hours a day and not worry about anything, and that's how I spent my time for years. We'd hop on our bikes, ride downtown, surprise my dad at his office, go to the fish market by the harbor, go window shopping downtown, explore old abandoned buildings and WWII remnants like nazi bunkers on the way home, etc. Over here you'd disappear and end up on the news.

Manmade things like theme parks with blinking lights and bizarre rides just grate on every last nerve in my body. They just exude fakeness and completely lack any real substance. Not to mention the thousands of people stumbling from kiosk to kiosk, ride to ride like zombies. I just can't deal. I'd rather fly Ethan to Europe, hop a train, and show him the world. Not a glorified parking lot filled with fake buildings and people dressed like cartoon characters. I want him to actually learn things and be stimulated in meaningful ways, if that makes sense. He is not going to be a video game or t.v. kid, at least nowhere near my house.

I'm actually terrified of the fact that as he gets older the only outlet for his boredom might be a shopping mall. I'd like to move to Atlanta. Close to Appalachia for hiking, the ocean for swimming and fishing, that new huge aquarium, one of my attorneys is moving there and needs a paralegal, etc.

ATL FOR THE WIN! We've got some great state parks around here. I wish theac and I got out and enjoyed them more often. :hs: You might be disappointed with the aquarium tho. I had a great time going (aside from the mass of people). The 'ocean' and 'reef' sections were increadable. I loved the beluga whales too. :heart: But it was very Disneylike, very commercial and lacking in any educational info; unlike the Tampa and Tennessee aquariums. Hell, even their mascot is a total knock off of Nemo. :(

Pandora said:
ATL FOR THE WIN! We've got some great state parks around here. I wish theac and I got out and enjoyed them more often. :hs: You might be disappointed with the aquarium tho. I had a great time going (aside from the mass of people). The 'ocean' and 'reef' sections were increadable. I loved the beluga whales too. :heart: But it was very Disneylike, very commercial and lacking in any educational info; unlike the Tampa and Tennessee aquariums. Hell, even their mascot is a total knock off of Nemo. :(

Our aquarium is smaller than yours, but it definately is full of educational stuff and there is alot of stuff geared towards children in an un-disney-like way. I like the saltwater flats portion the best.

Bubbles said:
Our aquarium is smaller than yours, but it definately is full of educational stuff and there is alot of stuff geared towards children in an un-disney-like way. I like the saltwater flats portion the best.

I like the REAL aquarium ... dolphin watching by boat , flats fishing by the Sunshine Skyway, snorkeling with the reds and snook.

Waaa - I miss the beach.

gottoys? said:
I like the REAL aquarium ... dolphin watching by boat , flats fishing by the Sunshine Skyway, snorkeling with the reds and snook.

Waaa - I miss the beach.

My dad is 100% florida cracker in the whole boat-fishing-beach sense of the phrase......I grew up on the water, in the flats, exploring the islands....etc.

gottoys? said:
You said that 'it's a small world' is redone? when? the pictures look like what I remember from a few years back.

I'm a geek I love "it's a small world" ... It's a 'happy' place. I love boat rides and I love all the animation. I actually took a video of the ride when I went with Candy\Amy - geek geek geek.

The "white" room is brand new. They've also redon the people updated them (they can blink and move their mouths and stuff) and redone parts of the vocals. The song is the same but it sounds a little different.

Bubbles said:
My dad is 100% florida cracker in the whole boat-fishing-beach sense of the phrase......I grew up on the water, in the flats, exploring the islands....etc.

My EX is 100% florida cracker in the whole boat-fishing-beach sense of the phrase......I screwed him in the water, in the flats, on the islands....etc.

sorry I couln't help myself ;)

Pandora said:

I would go again once the croud dies down, it will probably be much better. The Tennessee one was similar when it opened I felt. much better a few months later. It should be worth noteing however that they have two routes in the GA aquarium, one for the normal croud and another specifically for school groups so most of the educational stuff probably went there.

Ryokurin said:
I would go again once the croud dies down, it will probably be much better. The Tennessee one was similar when it opened I felt. much better a few months later. It should be worth noteing however that they have two routes in the GA aquarium, one for the normal croud and another specifically for school groups so most of the educational stuff probably went there.

Well that's stupid. One shouldn't have to be in school to get educational tidbits.

Thorn Bird said:
and wasn't there some ride there with an elevator and ghosts?

ToT.jpg

This is it. They've modified it. It isn't just a drop anymore. It's completely random. You may just drop or you may drop 3 times and go up 4 times or whatever the computer decides.

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. i want to go on that ride now. good thing we have hookups in winter haven for free tickets! :D

Thorn Bird said:
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. i want to go on that ride now. good thing we have hookups in winter haven for free tickets! :D

Nice.

Yeah we go so often because of that board acoust can't understand.

Total cost of this trip (tickets, airfare, hotel, food (including some fine dining), and merchandise) for two - $765 for a whole week.

Coqui said:
Nice.

Yeah we go so often because of that board acoust can't understand.

Total cost of this trip (tickets, airfare, hotel, food (including some fine dining), and merchandise) for two - $765 for a whole week.

Wow what a great deal ... do you get discount tickets from the forum or can anyone get those rates?