Utah Police State

I watched some of the home movies that some people took and that seemed way over the top on the police side. Those were fully armed soliders that were pissed off. I've been to lots of raves when I was younger and no one was hostile or violent.

I've been at 2 that were shutdown by cops and the cops peaceful walked through and told people to go home. The cops were wearing their standard uniforms and there was even bike cops in t-shirts and shorts just pointing the way out. Everyone just walked to their car and the cops stopped anyone looking impared and made sure they weren't going to drive. The cops weren't mean about it at all. Their was tv crews for local news there and the cops had a one or two camera crews filming eveyrone. They sure as hell weren't tell people to shut off any cameras. They just made sure everyone left as fast and carefully as possible.

b_sinning said:
I watched some of the home movies that some people took and that seemed way over the top on the police side. Those were fully armed soliders that were pissed off. I've been to lots of raves when I was younger and no one was hostile or violent.
Exactly. They are ravers for Christ's sake. It's not like they're gonna wanna do anything to the cops other than give em a back massage...

I saw nothing shocking in that video. Cops break up parties all the time, especially ones with hundreds of people in places they aren't supposed to be. A simple permit would've kept this from happening. Good job, promoters.

Sarcasmo said:
I saw nothing shocking in that video. Cops break up parties all the time, especially ones with hundreds of people in places they aren't supposed to be. A simple permit would've kept this from happening. Good job, promoters.

According to Shawn's original post, the promoters showed the police their permit and the police ripped it up.

Bubbles said:
According to Shawn's original post, the promoters showed the police their permit and the police ripped it up.

According to the police report the permit they had was from the health department, which isn't the same as a county permit. If it was in fact a county permit, there will be record of that and they can sue the sheriff's department accordingly. But I doubt that was the case. I used to work in federal law enforcement, and many times people's recollections, though innocent, are just wrong.

b_sinning said:
The police were perpared for Terrorist instead of ravers. I just wished they would try the open hand instead of the closed fist approach first.

At parties where thousands of people are using drugs and alcohol you don tactical gear for your own protection. If a simple riot ensues the cops could find themselves outnumbered about 40 or 50 to 1. It's standard procedure. You have no idea who you are about to encounter, and therefore have no idea how they will respond, especially under the influence.

Sarcasmo said:
According to the police report the permit they had was from the health department, which isn't the same as a county permit. If it was in fact a county permit, there will be record of that and they can sue the sheriff's department accordingly. But I doubt that was the case. I used to work in federal law enforcement, and many times people's recollections, though innocent, are just wrong.

Oh, I see. I didn't realize different departments had different levels of permits.

Sarcasmo said:

++

I don't buy into the "the cops tore up our permit" business either. Had you had a permit and not violated the laws the cops wouldn't have shown up in control gear in the first place.

Sarcasmo said:

how would they end up with anything from the health dept that would make them think they were properly armed with permit?

can I go to the post office and get a permit to have the superbowl in my backyard? :fly:

why_ask_why said:
how would they end up with anything from the health dept that would make them think they were properly armed with permit?

That's the question. God only knows. But people are funny (read: stupid) sometimes. Just because you have a health services permit and EMTs on site doesn't mean you're allowed to be there.

fly said:
Exactly. They are ravers for Christ's sake. It's not like they're gonna wanna do anything to the cops other than give em a back massage...

Maybe lick their ears...

KNYTE said:
++

I don't buy into the "the cops tore up our permit" business either. Had you had a permit and not violated the laws the cops wouldn't have shown up in control gear in the first place.

Yeah...cause cops and the government never abuse their power...

It looked fairly harmless to me. I assume the location of the rave wasn't private property since they needed a permit, thus the dogs were allowed in without a warrant. They smell drugs, a person resists. I didn't see any kicking of a person in the video.

Could there have been excessive violence? Possibly. However the video doesn't show any of it.

I doubted they even used drug dogs. Most raves if you're sober and just look around a little you can see drugs being sold. Usually they aren't very covert about it.

Sarcasmo said:
And ravers never whine endlessly about nothing.
Can you be sure the government had an open and shut case? No. It's likely in an police operation AND rave that big, that some miscommunication happened on BOTH sides.