FYI Useless Quiz

Last edited:
4. In the US, when is the usual time to spay or neuter my dog?

Your Answer: after they are fully grown

The correct answer was 5-6 months old.

you're supposed to wait until they're fully grown because some growth hormones get affected with spaying & neutering. . .
ugh.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...angers-of-early-pet-spaying-or-neutering.aspx

The answer may, in fact, be correct. Many vets still advise early neutering so it's quite possible that the majority of such operations take place before 6 months. There's a lot of conflicting advice on the internet I notice and the question isn't 'when should you' but' when do most'.

gah. When we got our dog (a Wheaten) in 2003, the vets all told us to wait until she was full grown. We looked into Groenendaels too, & every breeder told us - even before we saw the dog - that if we were getting them fixed to do it after they were full grown.

I only googled it as I have a dog who I'm thinking of getting neutered. A heck of a lot of sites seem to say 'most vets recommend before 6 months, some as young as 8 weeks'/ Whether that's advisable, it certainly seems to be a common belief,

the lady that was the breeder for the Belgians said if you do it too soon it fucks with the estrogen which fucks with the bone building as the dog grows. the Belgian is only a medium sized dog but she said it causes problems with the conformation & can lead to hip displasia & hearing problems, etc. She was really emphatic about the importance of letting the dog get full grown & then get it done.

I think it might be easier for the vets when they're younger, as well as less expensive. Ask around & see what they tell you.

What kind of dog do you have?

the lady that was the breeder for the Belgians said if you do it too soon it fucks with the estrogen which fucks with the bone building as the dog grows. the Belgian is only a medium sized dog but she said it causes problems with the conformation & can lead to hip displasia & hearing problems, etc. She was really emphatic about the importance of letting the dog get full grown & then get it done.

I think it might be easier for the vets when they're younger, as well as less expensive. Ask around & see what they tell you.

Carys.

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person

No. What fucks with dogs is human-involved breeding. Pure breds are infamous for all the genetic defects from inbreeding. Don't buy from a breeder, adopt a mutt from the rescue.

This has been a PSA announcement.

Plus vets want you to do it younger because it lessens the amount of animals getting pregnant before they are fixed.

Blah, I would have beat April, but the quiz wouldn't load and I clicked the link and the page wouldn't load. Had to close it out a couple times and reopen it, and apparently it still timed from the first time I clicked the link.

Whoever wins the quiz tomorrow gets to set the subjects for the whole of next week (Sunday to Saturday). Unless, of course, it's me in which case whoever comes a poor second gets the honour.

The subjects available are

FunTrivia Mixed Bag (default) (100000 questions)
Animals (449 questions)
Celebrities : Easier (601 questions)
Celebrities : More Difficult (5176 questions)
General Knowledge 1 : Very Easy (1157 questions)
General Knowledge 2 : Easy (1787 questions)
General Knowledge 3 : Average (2466 questions)
General Knowledge 4 : Harder (3493 questions)
General Knowledge 5 : Difficult (5725 questions)
General Knowledge 6 : Very Difficult (5487 questions)
Geography 1 : Easier (500 questions)
Geography 2 : Intermediate (1880 questions)
Geography 3 : Difficult (3140 questions)
History 1 : Easier (249 questions)
History 2 : Intermediate (928 questions)
History 3 : Difficult (3188 questions)
Hobbies (1162 questions)
Literature 1 : Easier (232 questions)
Literature 2 : More Difficult (1836 questions)
Movies 1 : Easier (1656 questions)
Movies 2 : Intermediate (5252 questions)
Movies 3 : Difficult (9835 questions)
Music 1 : Easier (629 questions)
Music 2 : Intermediate (3429 questions)
Music 3 : Difficult (12352 questions)
People 1 : Easier (352 questions)
People 2 : More Difficult (2932 questions)
Religion 1 : Easier (426 questions)
Religion 2 : More Difficult (2172 questions)
Religion : Bible Trivia (317 questions)
Science & Technology 1 : Easier (541 questions)
Science & Technology 2 : Intermediate (1037 questions)
Science & Technology 3 : Difficult (3201 questions)
Sports : Baseball : Difficult (6473 questions)
Sports : Baseball : Easy (416 questions)
Sports : General : Easier (2981 questions)
Sports : General : Intermediate (7593 questions)
World : Australia (1194 questions)
World : UK (1132 questions)
World Trivia 1 : Easier (1165 questions)
World Trivia 2 : More Difficult (8156 questions)
World: Canada (728 questions)
World: Europe (1565 questions)