Thread Useless Politics

they're not stopping those technologies from coming here. the freedom of choice is being restricted by the manufacturers, not the EPA. bitch to them because disbanding the EPA is not going to make them suddenly sell those cars here

To say that is disingenuous though, it costs a w_a_w yachtload of money for the manufacturers to comply so I don't blame them for not wanting to kill their profit margins.

:confused: well. right.

granted some people would shell out for engine replacements but most of the population barely gets their oil changed on a regular basis

Exactly.

In cased you didn't notice, I'm in agreement with you on the part of it taking a long time.

Just when you thought political ads were as bad as they could be...

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43301677/ns/us_news-life/

Marine objects to repeal of DADT and asks to leave military. Gates says no, "troops don't always agree on politics, religion or other matters, but they still serve together."
Gay airman comes out of the closet and asks to be released. He's let go. Hmmmmmm.

DADT is still on the books, so technically he committed a violation of code for coming out. His penalty of expulsion from the military is just.

A Marine objecting to a policy verbally means nothing. If he is not being insubordinate, he is just voicing his opinion. And Gates was correct in stating if you join the military (voluntarily I might add) you have to abide by the rules, whatever they may be and you have to follow what your superiors require of you, whatever their decisions.

I don't see a conflict.

DADT is still on the books, so technically he committed a violation of code for coming out. His penalty of expulsion from the military is just.

A Marine objecting to a policy verbally means nothing. If he is not being insubordinate, he is just voicing his opinion. And Gates was correct in stating if you join the military (voluntarily I might add) you have to abide by the rules, whatever they may be and you have to follow what your superiors require of you, whatever their decisions.

I don't see a conflict.

officially he's not being insubordinate but we all received a message from the commandant and sgtmaj themselves saying that this wasn't happening. he's getting the fuck hazed out of him right now

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43301677/ns/us_news-life/

Marine objects to repeal of DADT and asks to leave military. Gates says no, "troops don't always agree on politics, religion or other matters, but they still serve together."
Gay airman comes out of the closet and asks to be released. He's let go. Hmmmmmm.

they cant release soldiers because they disagree on ethics, religion, politics, etc... otherwise everyone in Vietnam would've been released the first day of bootcamp and the draft would've been a bust. its really not a soldiers job to have an opinion.

they cant release soldiers because they disagree on ethics, religion, politics, etc... otherwise everyone in Vietnam would've been released the first day of bootcamp and the draft would've been a bust. its really not a soldiers job to have an opinion.

That's not the part that made me go hmm. I guess nobody else read it the way I did.

"troops don't always agree on politics, religion or other matters, but they still serve together" unless they are gay.

That's not the part that made me go hmm. I guess nobody else read it the way I did.

"troops don't always agree on politics, religion or other matters, but they still serve together" unless they are gay.

that's only because the current law is still in effect. the marine in question could just as easily smoke a bunch of pot and pop on a drug test if he wants out. both will receive other than honorable discharges. there's no special treatment being given here, they're only following the letter of the law

no because he didn't commit a crime in violation of the ucmj that he could be charged with. being openly gay in the military is not a crime, just grounds for discharge.

FLORIDA GOVERNOR RICK SCOTT OFFICIALLY DEFIES JUSTICE DEPARTMENT, VOWS TO CONTINUE VOTER PURGE
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/06/06/495952/update-florida-governor-rick-scott-officially-defies-justice-department-vows-to-continue-voter-purge/

In a letter sent tonight, Florida Governor Rick Scott said the state will continue to purge registered voters from the rolls despite the Department of Justice’s warning that the effort is illegal. The Miami Herald reports, “the letter all but dares the Justice Department to sue Florida for allegedly violating the 1965 Voting Rights Act and the 1993 National Voter Registration Act.” You can read the full letter here.

Have our resident Floridian proved they are US citizens yet?

The county chairs that actually implement the purging are actually NOT doing so because the DOJ told them, too, if they implement that they will be arrest and/or fined. They are cooperating.

Rick Scott and Scott Walker should double team.

they can't skip it if they have to get the shot to get their govt cheese. obviously you can't leave that up to people who've already been established to be irresponsible

um WAY late to the convo and haven't read entire thread, but question: who is gonna make sure this happens? there's a lot of legal hobobabble involved in "government ASSISTANCE" that's just a buncha words on paper. somewhere. i wonder what the REAL percentage is regarding how long people are being ASSISTED (read: how long someone can live on what the government gives them freely without the government being responsible and abiding by its own structure of assistance use and without the ASSISTED being responsible and abiding by the requirements?)

point is -- there is NO follow-up to government projects. it's thrown in place then thrown out to be snagged and run with. you can run as far and as fast as you'd like, because no one knows how it's supposed to work or cares that it's being abused or accepts responsibility for making sure it's being used correctly. :rant:

point is -- there is NO follow-up to government projects. it's thrown in place then thrown out to be snagged and run with. you can run as far and as fast as you'd like, because no one knows how it's supposed to work or cares that it's being abused or accepts responsibility for making sure it's being used correctly. :rant:
I agree with this statement and offer up the idea that this happens in the private sector as well. I'm starting to see a slowdown in help tickets and have heard people talking about problems and never see them reported.

i find myself looking around at everything and wondering where responsibility lies...how can so many just pass the buck around without anyone there to stop it? so many things are so massive that it's easy to just shuffle stuff around and around...chances are, it'll drop through the crack somewhere and everyone will be relieved instead of concerned. it's EVERYWHERE.

no wonder modern society is so distrustful and selfish. you HAVE to be.
leaders (political, religious, business, etc.), teachers, news corporations, government, advertising, schools, companies, corporations, entertainment -- look at them all. constant lying, manipulation of facts, omissions, oppressions, intimidation, threat, insecurity, greed, justification, twisting, photoshop, etc etc etc...it makes me dizzy, and therefore nauseous, to try to keep up with what was said vs. what was meant vs. what was trimmed and what the trimmings were vs. statistics vs. tactics vs. blahblahblah...eggs and aspirin are good for you this week, but just about three weeks ago they were bad.
this medicine (only about five years old) does this but watch out for this...oh wait...two years have gone by and oops! it'll kill ya. just kiddin'.
and i said this because i stand for this unless i'm sitting, and then i mean it this way because it's completely different then...but trust me!

things just keep flyin' around at such high speeds that no one can keep up with it all...which means it's impossible for quality control to be large enough or fast enough to catch anything. it's extremely shallow and intimidating to me...but realizing all that has at least made me think that it's no wonder people are so self-absorbed, paranoid, and/or confused so much of the time. what do ANY of us KNOW anymore?

ugh. puttin' my head back in the sand now.