WTF US Legal System Is A Bloody Joke!

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

The Supreme Court ruled Monday the federal government has the power to indefinitely keep some sex offenders behind bars after they have served their sentences, if officials determine those inmates may prove "sexually dangerous" in the future.
"The federal government, as custodian of its prisoners, has the constitutional power to act in order to protect nearby (and other) communities from the danger such prisoners may pose," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the 7-2 majority.

Hello Police State.......

it's to be expected though, since they did hold terrorist suspects indefinitely even when they had no proof against them.

That was different. They were held by the military as enemy combatants (Mind you, I completely disagree with their ability to do this as well). These are civilian courts.

The "goal" of prison is rehabilitation. If the person isn't rehabilitated... However, I don't like the state making that determination. Or entities of the state.

The "goal" of prison is rehabilitation. If the person isn't rehabilitated... However, I don't like the state making that determination. Or entities of the state.

Anyone who believes prisons are for rehabilitation is fooling themselves.. I think some states have even dropped that moto..

Juries don't sentence prisoners. They establish guilt. If the person is in prison, the guilt has been established.

Ok, so then we throw out the sentencing phase..

Are you saying you honestly don't see a problem with this or are you just trolling?

from my experience - it seems that only the poor are ever accused or convicted of being sex offenders.

people in private healthcare are rarely, if ever, flagged on the system.

i would hazard a guess that most peers of the realm are deviant, but they are untouchable. you need to come forward or be caught. that's very hard to do.

also sex offenders are never rehabilitated - a friend of mine is a social worker dealing specifically with child sex offenders. there is no change, no matter how long they are imprisoned or medicated.

and who would you prefer to hand down sentencing?

the legal system is one of the marginally few things the government tend to get right, simply because it isn't easily altered compared to most areas of legislation.

My major worry is how long until the US moves the same logic onto other criminal offenses..

rehabilitation isn't an aim - it's to remove a threat posed to the public.

this is what antidepressants are for. individual care is subjective, and is only intended to be a byproduct.

threat assessment is the most important thing to "treat"

Ok, so then we throw out the sentencing phase..

Are you saying you honestly don't see a problem with this or are you just trolling?

Juries establish guilt. Statutes establish sentencing guidelines at both the state and federal levels. The Supreme Court just ruled that the federal government can detain sexual predators after their terms expire. Please connect those dots.

What exactly would I have a problem with? This isn't about The Man controlling you, nor is it about a violation of Constitutional freedoms or the Bill of Rights. So where's the issue, exactly?

Juries establish guilt. Statutes establish sentencing guidelines at both the state and federal levels. The Supreme Court just ruled that the federal government can detain sexual predators after their terms expire. Please connect those dots.

What exactly would I have a problem with? This isn't about The Man controlling you, nor is it about a violation of Constitutional freedoms or the Bill of Rights. So where's the issue, exactly?

ahh sarcasmo - the only man whom 'called to the bar' had an entirely different meaning.

The issue is that society has deemed an appropriate punishment system for those who commit crimes. Now the Fed's are saying they supercede that and have the power to basically detained you forever if they deem you unfit for society. This is a slippery slope, and could be pushed towards other crimes..