US cruise ship outruns pirates

If a large cruise ship can be captured by 8 guys with rifles, something isn't right.

They didn't even have an rpg. Just rifles. That's it.

yes but the people on the cruise ship don't know what they have. There is no way they would risk the liability of attempting to run away and get blown up. It's much cheaper for the to be overtaken and not risk loss of life and a wrongful death suit. I don't really think if a ship was overtaken by pirates and the ship surrendered that someone could sue the ship.

What? This is America man...

They could but there wouldn't be any grounds for a win. That would be the same as if a rouge wave hit the ship. There wouldn't be anything the cruise line could have done to prevent it without endangering life.

They could but there wouldn't be any grounds for a win. That would be the same as if a rouge wave hit the ship. There wouldn't be anything the cruise line could have done to prevent it without endangering life.

There is tons of things they can do to prevent, its just "how much do we want to spend".

God, it isn't rocket surgery. Just send out a thousand merchant vessels loaded with cargo, only instead of typical crew members use terminators. Piracy over.

yes but the people on the cruise ship don't know what they have. There is no way they would risk the liability of attempting to run away and get blown up. It's much cheaper for the to be overtaken and not risk loss of life and a wrongful death suit. I don't really think if a ship was overtaken by pirates and the ship surrendered that someone could sue the ship.

But wouldn't letting 8 armed men with hostile intent take over the ship put even more lives in danger?

I understand that lawyers would love to get their hands on a captain who did his best to save his passengers the ordeal of being held hostage. I don't think it's right, however. I know it's currently not legal, but if the rules were to be changed, and personnel trained, and inventory closely monitored, I have no issues with putting a few Stinger Missles on ships passing through that corridor. But then, that just means the pirates will get bigger missles too. I don't know how you would be able to combat something like this.

But wouldn't letting 8 armed men with hostile intent take over the ship put even more lives in danger?

I understand that lawyers would love to get their hands on a captain who did his best to save his passengers the ordeal of being held hostage. I don't think it's right, however. I know it's currently not legal, but if the rules were to be changed, and personnel trained, and inventory closely monitored, I have no issues with putting a few Stinger Missles on ships passing through that corridor. But then, that just means the pirates will get bigger missles too. I don't know how you would be able to combat something like this.

Are they going to shoot down some helis? :fly:

Stingers are surface to air missiles. Unless the pirates are in zeppelins I think they should just use those gigantic cannister miniguns U.S. naval ships use.

as someone touched on, make this the newest Disney cruise...Pirates of the Barbary Coast...all hands on deck to kill some pirates! 100's of kids cranked up on adderall because their over attentive soccer moms think they have ADD...mount various weapons all over the ship along the rails and let the fun begin :fly: