US Airways plane crashes into Hudson river

He did a one in a million perfect textbook landing that showed he had some serious piloting skills.

Yup
If he wasnt the super balls of steel mega pilot that he is, everyone would have died.

A lesser pilot would have crashed that plane into Spike Lees house.
Hed probably still get an award for that, but hed definitely be considered a crappy pilot.

He did a one in a million perfect textbook landing that showed he had some serious piloting skills.
it was only one in a million because a double engine failure over water during takeoff is one in a million. all pilots are trained to execute the maneuver exactly as he did.

I can think of a handful of jets landing on the water videos I've seen recently, and not a one of them ended with no one dying, except this one.

Sure, you can 'train' every pilot to do it that way. Doesn't mean that they will. The facts show that most pilots faced with the scenario haven't been able to do it.

Double engine failure = no deaths? Please don't make it sound commonplace.

I can think of a handful of jets landing on the water videos I've seen recently, and not a one of them ended with no one dying, except this one.

Sure, you can 'train' every pilot to do it that way. Doesn't mean that they will. The facts show that most pilots faced with the scenario haven't been able to do it.

Double engine failure = no deaths? Please don't make it sound commonplace.
* In 1963, an Aeroflot jet splash-landed in the Neva River outside Leningrad. Everybody on board survived.
* In 1970, in what was probably our closest thing yet to a Hollywood-style ocean ditching, an Overseas National Airways (ONA) DC-9 bound from New York to St. Croix ditched in the Caribbean after running out of fuel. Twenty-three people were killed, and 40 were rescued.
* In 1996, an Ethiopian Airlines 767 went down off the Comoros Islands after running out of fuel during a hijacking. Video taken by tourists at a nearby beach shows the plane slamming into the water and cartwheeling into pieces. At the moment of impact, the pilots and hijackers had been wrestling for control.
* Three years ago, a Tunisian ATR-42 turboprop crashed into the Mediterranean off the coast of Sicily, taking the lives of 16 of the 39 people aboard.
* In 1977, a hijacked Boeing 747 owned by the Stevens Corp. plunged into the Bermuda Triangle and quickly sank. Miraculously, the cabin remained intact, leaving the occupants trapped alive at the bottom of the ocean. They were later rescued through the ingenious use of giant flotation balloons.

Oh, wait, that last one was the movie "Airport '77."
the only other landing in a river (flat water) also resulted in no deaths.

Downed by a bird strike?
wtf

It's a misnomer. The birds aren't striking. It's an engine suck. It's an engine making bird soup melange.

These birds aren't going, "Who's for bird strike?
"Johnny Human's big metal buggers piss me off! I vote we go for bird strike! Alfie, Ginger, Stevie, Feathers, Stephens, Big Beak O'Reilly, Jimmy the Penguin,
are you with me?"

"No, you're a penguin, so you stay here.

"Come on! Let's do bird strike!"
(d Sings Ride Of The Valkyries)

"Faster, faster!

" !" Mmm... Thbpth!

Just before they go through, do they go,
"Look, there's Rod Stewart"?

We don't know.

Planes are pressurized for high altitude. Um, wouldn't you think that would entail a semi-enclosed capsule? And if so, water would seep in slowly?

they're pressurized, not sealed air-tight. commercial airliners maintain their pressure by overfilling the cabin and regulating the escape of air via pressure channels

nothing really stopping the water from coming in if the engines aren't on and forcing air into the cabin :o