US Airways plane crashes into Hudson river

Cue captioned pictures of the plane in river:

"I'm okay! I had Subway for lunch!"
"Water in my muthafuckin plane?!"
"It's okay, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

stolen from the genmay thread

picture.php

I heard that the pilot is one of the few commercial pilots that besides being a military pilot with combat experience and a safety instructor. He is one of a handful commercial pilots with a glider pilots license.

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell that plane stayed afloat as long as it did. The more I read about how everything went right, the more I think that is just not possible. Not going all tin foil hat, but, seriously. Who crashes a plane, in 35 degree water, in 20 degree temperature, after losing both engines, and not a single person dies and the plane doesn't break up.

Fuckin amazing.

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell that plane stayed afloat as long as it did. The more I read about how everything went right, the more I think that is just not possible. Not going all tin foil hat, but, seriously. Who crashes a plane, in 35 degree water, in 20 degree temperature, after losing both engines, and not a single person dies and the plane doesn't break up.

Fuckin amazing.

Planes are pressurized for high altitude. Um, wouldn't you think that would entail a semi-enclosed capsule? And if so, water would seep in slowly?

Fuckin amazing.

Not only that but it landed next to the Intrepid which happens to be next to the ferry landing with an empty boat.

Planes are pressurized for high altitude. Um, wouldn't you think that would entail a semi-enclosed capsule? And if so, water would seep in slowly?

Thats the thing. The survivors all report water rushing into the plane fairly quickly. That, and the fact that the landing gear was down, opening up the lower compartments to water, and the doors were all open, means that the 'semi-enclosed capsule' really wasn't when it hit the water and afterwards.

Thats the thing. The survivors all report water rushing into the plane fairly quickly. That, and the fact that the landing gear was down, opening up the lower compartments to water, and the doors were all open, means that the 'semi-enclosed capsule' really wasn't when it hit the water and afterwards.

They're trained not to open the rear doors during a water landing, as the plane is ass heavy.

Landing gear being down shouldn't matter. Water won't gush in through the openings unless there is an escape for air. Weird that water rushed in, I didn't read that. I'm now interested in why. My first thought would be that the cargo/belly side of the plane leaks like a sieve.