Update: Terri Shaivo is DEAD! (*I'm not dead yet)

Let her:

• live

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • die

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥83,323
Steam
mattressfish
I think they are doing the right thing by letting her die. Does anyone here care?

BTW, if you don't know, she has been in a coma for the last 15 years. Her husband has had her feeding tube removed and her parents are fighting to get it back in.

her husband has made the correct choice, her parents are retards.

edit: being in a coma for 15 years is almost a lifetime anyway, the chances that she could come out of it and be coherant and be able to function in socitey are almost non existant.

Legally it's very cut and dry

If she has a living will, the tube should be removed and she should be allowed to pass

If she does not, they need to do everything they can to keep her alive

I'm not sure why they allowed them to remove the feeding tube to begin with.

*Personally, after that one guy came out of a coma after 18years last year, I would want the hospital to keep me alive as long as possible.

personally i'd rather be taken out to the back pasture and shot rather than be in that kind of condition indefinitely. the court made the right decision.

ChikkenNoodul said:
From my understanding, that isn't the case. Because she didn't have one, they have to take the word of her legal guardian, her husband. But the whole thing is murky.

ChikkenNoodul said:

If she has a living will, the tube should be removed and she should be allowed to pass

If she does not, they need to do everything they can to keep her alive

I'm not sure why they allowed them to remove the feeding tube to begin with.

*Personally, after that one guy came out of a coma after 18years last year, I would want the hospital to keep me alive as long as possible.

she's not in a coma though...she's pretty much vacant upstairs...very sad either way it goes

ChikkenNoodul said:
Legally they did not
Incorrect sir.

And she's not in a coma. Shes a vegetable. There's nothing left to her mind but brain stem. There will be no awaking for her. She's gone as a person.

why_ask_why said:
she's not in a coma though...she's pretty much vacant upstairs...very sad either way it goes

Yeah, she's not in a coma. She's in a vegetative state. The doctors have said that her current condition is the best she will ever be. If that were the case I would want my life ended. Her husband is doing the right thing if that was her wish. Her parents, no matter how hard it may be to let her go, need to quit being selfish and say goodbye to the daughter that died 15 years ago...:(

why_ask_why said:

I was watching CNN yesterday and Dr's say her cerebral cortex has liquified. Don't think theres much hope after that.

ChikkenNoodul said:
His word is not good enough in the eyes of the law, according to my wife's study on the subject
With all due respect, there have been a ton of state and federal judges that looked at it and obviously interpreted the law differently. I'm guessing that it isn't cut and dry at all, but barring all this legislative bullshit she would/should already be dead.

ChikkenNoodul said:
His word is not good enough in the eyes of the law, according to my wife's study on the subject

florida law is different then all other law in this country.

theacoustician said:
Incorrect sir.

And she's not in a coma. Shes a vegetable. There's nothing left to her mind but brain stem. There will be no awaking for her. She's gone as a person.
Explain how then, no living will = she must live

My wife could argue this better than me of course :fly:

And no, this isn't some stupid religious argument

ChikkenNoodul said:
Legally they did not
they affirmed that her husband, who has power of attorney and guardianship over her, has the right to remove artificial means of keeping her alive. my grandmother didn't have a living will until after she had her series of strokes, and we didn't have to invoke that until her last weeks, which was 4 years after the fact. my aunt, on the other hand, wanted her to die the minute she was in the hospital with her second stroke, even when the doctors had said there was a great chance of recovery, but not total brain repair. same thing when my grandfather had massive trauma to his esophagus and was hospitalized with a tracheotomy for 6 months. there is no chance of her ever recovering, and her guardian is doing the right thing.

Well I dunno much about the legal or political issues surrounding this, but I DO know that if I was in that situation Id want the plug pulled. Living as a vegetable isnt living at all, and Id do the same if it my wife in that situation.