Update: Terri Shaivo is DEAD! (*I'm not dead yet)

Let her:

• live

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • die

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters
i think republicans are making a big deal about it for political reasons. its ironic that bush signed a law here,while he was gov, that gives husbands/wives the right to pull the plug. i don't think she is going to get better, but starving does seem a cruel way to go even if you are brain dead.

fly said:
With all due respect, there have been a ton of state and federal judges that looked at it and obviously interpreted the law differently. I'm guessing that it isn't cut and dry at all, but barring all this legislative bullshit she would/should already be dead.

Actually they have all (at least on the federal side) that this is a state issue and they have no say. The people who bumped it back to the federal level is senate where she is nothing but a political ball to get more Republican seats next year. check this out. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/print?id=600937 im going to quote the significant parts it says it all.
# This is an important moral issue and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue.
# This is a great political issue, because Senator Nelson of Florida has already refused to become a cosponsor and this is a tough issue for Democrats.

They knew good and well that they couldnt do anything to stop it, just delay it. I bet they were wishing that it would go on long enough that she died before made it through all the red tape. They had no business doing what they did and now its going to happen more and more.

Someone with political power and guts needs to stand up and say enough is enough, the end of life care here in the US is atrocious and something needs to be done about it.

ieholly said:
i think republicans are making a big deal about it for political reasons. its ironic that bush signed a law here,while he was gov, that gives husbands/wives the right to pull the plug. i don't think she is going to get better, but starving does seem a cruel way to go even if you are brain dead.
Starving is actually a very peaceful way to go according to the assisted suicide folks.

Something about a euphoric state after the hunger pains dissipate

ChikkenNoodul said:
Starving is actually a very peaceful way to go according to the assisted suicide folks.

really? a cruel and painful death was my only real hangup.

fly and I have have discussed this in detail so I wanted to chime in. Here are some comments I made to a newspaper buddy of mine in an e-mail from a few minutes ago:

It's gotten out of control down here. Protestors, for and against, outside of the hospice. Claims that her husband has abused her while she's been in the vegetative state. The times ran a piece about the former Pinellas Co. Sherriff Everett Rice, who is now in the state house, how some lady in NJ is claiming he and the husband are conspiring to kill Terri. The evidence, Rice was Sheriff when her husband was hired on as a jailhouse nurse and now Rice voted against the "save terri" legislation.

In all honesty, I hope I am never faced with this choice, either as a father, son or husband. But I think that after a certain period of time, I would allow, nay demand that my son, wife, parent be treated with respect and allowed to pass with some dignity. Her parents/family have let this become this three ring circus. They keep showing these pictures of the poor women in this horrific state. Terri's husband has said, and I'd agree, that Terri would hate to have the world see her like this, yet her parents/the media keep putting her image out there for all the world to see. It's fuked up.

Part of the controversy is over the fact that Terri would starve to death. Well then damnit allow for her Doctors give her some sedatives so she can just go to sleep.

What I find ironic is Pres. Bush rushing to back legislation to keep her alive. This from a man who signed a whole bunch of death warrants. That guy is fucked up.

This should have been between the husband and the family. Her parents should face the reality of the fact that their daughter is gone and only her shell remains. It should never have gotten this far. Never.

lemon_fresh said:
fly and I have have discussed this in detail so I wanted to chime in. Here are some comments I made to a newspaper buddy of mine in an e-mail from a few minutes ago:

It's gotten out of control down here. Protestors, for and against, outside of the hospice. Claims that her husband has abused her while she's been in the vegetative state. The times ran a piece about the former Pinellas Co. Sherriff Everett Rice, who is now in the state house, how some lady in NJ is claiming he and the husband are conspiring to kill Terri. The evidence, Rice was Sheriff when her husband was hired on as a jailhouse nurse and now Rice voted against the "save terri" legislation.

In all honesty, I hope I am never faced with this choice, either as a father, son or husband. But I think that after a certain period of time, I would allow, nay demand that my son, wife, parent be treated with respect and allowed to pass with some dignity. Her parents/family have let this become this three ring circus. They keep showing these pictures of the poor women in this horrific state. Terri's husband has said, and I'd agree, that Terri would hate to have the world see her like this, yet her parents/the media keep putting her image out there for all the world to see. It's fuked up.

Part of the controversy is over the fact that Terri would starve to death. Well then damnit allow for her Doctors give her some sedatives so she can just go to sleep.

What I find ironic is Pres. Bush rushing to back legislation to keep her alive. This from a man who signed a whole bunch of death warrants. That guy is fucked up.

This should have been between the husband and the family. Her parents should face the reality of the fact that their daughter is gone and only her shell remains. It should never have gotten this far. Never.

fly: Can I see your caulk?

i was gonna do a story about terry shiavo anyways, this thread just reminded me to finish it

ChikkenNoodul said:

They give her heavy doses of morphine. She doesn't feel anything.

elpmis said:
is she hot? :pics:
You'd hit it

story.schiavo.file.ap.jpg

I am confused about the protesters. What exactly are they protesting?