Update: Terri Shaivo is DEAD! (*I'm not dead yet)

Let her:

• live

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • die

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters
smileynev said:
Yeah, she's not in a coma. She's in a vegetative state. The doctors have said that her current condition is the best she will ever be. If that were the case I would want my life ended. Her husband is doing the right thing if that was her wish. Her parents, no matter how hard it may be to let her go, need to quit being selfish and say goodbye to the daughter that died 15 years ago...:(
Her parents said that if she came down with diabetes, they would have all of her arms and legs amputated. After that, if she had heart disease, they would try to get her a heart transplant. Her parents are very sick people.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Explain how then, no living will = she must live

My wife could argue this better than me of course :fly:

And no, this isn't some stupid religious argument

Aren't you trying to explain how no living will = she must live

I'm confused...:confused:

I would hope, for her sake, that her soul, if you believe in such things, moved on many years ago.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Explain how then, no living will = she must live

My wife could argue this better than me of course :fly:

And no, this isn't some stupid religious argument
Florida law says that her husband is her legal guardian and is allowed to make legal decisions for her. This has been upheld at all levels of court from the lowest levels to the Supreme Court (by refusing to hear the case). You need to read all the facts before you make decisions on legality.

F33nX said:
they affirmed that her husband, who has power of attorney and guardianship over her, has the right to remove artificial means of keeping her alive. my grandmother didn't have a living will until after she had her series of strokes, and we didn't have to invoke that until her last weeks, which was 4 years after the fact. my aunt, on the other hand, wanted her to die the minute she was in the hospital with her second stroke, even when the doctors had said there was a great chance of recovery, but not total brain repair. same thing when my grandfather had massive trauma to his esophagus and was hospitalized with a tracheotomy for 6 months. there is no chance of her ever recovering, and her guardian is doing the right thing.
Whatever, I'll believe my lawyer over non-lawyers :D

theacoustician said:
Florida law says that her husband is her legal guardian and is allowed to make legal decisions for her. This has been upheld at all levels of court from the lowest levels to the Supreme Court (by refusing to hear the case). You need to read all the facts before you make decisions on legality.
Oh right, Florida law

'nev was right, never mind then

Florida is a bunch of fuckups

fly said:
Her parents said that if she came down with diabetes, they would have all of her arms and legs amputated. After that, if she had heart disease, they would try to get her a heart transplant. Her parents are very sick people.

While I don't disagree that they are doing the wrong thing, I can understand why. Just the thought of going through that with a son or daughter of mine brings tears to my eyes.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Oh right, Florida law

'nev was right, never mind then

Florida is a bunch of fuckups
Its a state matter, not a federal matter. No one would give a shit about her case if they weren't trying to pull heartstrings and use a reversal of this decision as a platform to repeal abortion.

theacoustician said:
Its a state matter, not a federal matter. No one would give a shit about her case if they weren't trying to pull heartstrings and use a reversal of this decision as a platform to repeal abortion.
Well, the parents must've gone to their legislator for help and his cronies decided to use it for political gain and that's why it's spiraling out of control

ChikkenNoodul said:
Well, the parents must've gone to their legislator for help and his cronies decided to use it for political gain and that's why it's spiraling out of control
Yes, it has become THE platform for the Right to Lifers, ie. the Republican base.

ChikkenNoodul said:
or the bible thumpers in the area caught wind of it and went to their legislators

smileynev said:
While I don't disagree that they are doing the wrong thing, I can understand why. Just the thought of going through that with a son or daughter of mine brings tears to my eyes.
I'm certain that its horrible, but sometimes you have to stop being selfish.

fly said:

Of course. Now tell that to the man that changed her diapers, carried her around on his back like he was a horse, cried the first time she said daddy, cried the first time she went to school, and cried the day he gave her away to the man that wants to end her life.

smileynev said:
Of course. Now tell that to the man that changed her diapers, carried her around on his back like he was a horse, cried the first time she said daddy, cried the first time she went to school, and cried the day he gave her away to the man that wants to end her life.
Sorry, after dealing with relatives that are lost to Alzimer's, I think it wouldn't be that hard. You see them, but they simply aren't there anymore. At some point you realize the person is gone even if the shell is still there. Doesn't mean its easy though.

theacoustician said:
Sorry, after dealing with relatives that are lost to Alzimer's, I think it wouldn't be that hard. You see them, but they simply aren't there anymore. At some point you realize the person is gone even if the shell is still there. Doesn't mean its easy though.

One of my greatest fears right there.

smileynev said:

maybe I'm just an insensitve asshole, but at some point over the last 15 years he had to have at least an inking of a thought that he was no longer doing it for his daughter, but for himself.

fly said:

maybe I'm just an insensitve asshole, but at some point over the last 15 years he had to have at least an inking of a thought that he was no longer doing it for his daughter, but for himself.

You would think so. As I said, he needs to realize that she has passed from this world, and he needs to let go and move on as best he can. Hers was a fate worse then death for her family, because they could still think that someday she may change, she might get better.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Don't get me wrong folks, I think the husband's choice is the RIGHT choice

I just didn't necessarily believe it's LEGALLY correct, until I was reminded that Florida law is different than other states

Which is true, California is another state that's quite different legally from most

fuggin blue states.