WTF unbiased observation is a myth

I'm currently reading a Sci-Fi novel where first Contact between humans and four species of aliens provides zero possibilities of actual communication. In other words, they're so strange to us and we are so strange to them that we can't learn anything via verbal written or sign language to communicate with them. The concept in this book is that the aliens are here to trade and then that's what they do they just trade. They'll go up take a piece of art and then leave one of their artifacts in its place.

Explain to US, though: the dolphins or crows or octopi may have their own theories. Language barrier tho
Until we can breach the language barrier, the only thing we can do is speculate. You want to talk bias, ascribing enough sentience to animals to assume they can perceive the universe, when we have no direct evidence of that is a pretty big one.

I'm not denying those three animal species are intelligent, but there is an extreme difference in what they've displayed and being able to do what we've discussed here.

Until we can breach the language barrier, the only thing we can do is speculate. You want to talk bias, ascribing enough sentience to animals to assume they can perceive the universe, when we have no direct evidence of that is a pretty big one.

I'm not denying those three animal species are intelligent, but there is an extreme difference in what they've displayed and being able to do what we've discussed here.
Yup. I ascribe a whole lot of sentience and assume they have more than I can understand, only seeing it from a human standpoint.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and adi