UF Statistic - Poll About Guns

How do you FEEL about guns?

• Total voters
the jaws of life comparison is a good one. without the proper tool the outcome could be fatal.

Good in general, but not what I was getting at. I was pointing out that irrational fear of inanimate objects stems from ignorance. I do something NO ONE ELSE I KNOW DOES though, I carry a lil notbook and pen.

@ Syrup and Johnny

Mine costs less than $2 per year, and I cant make a fire with it. Not to mention having a JAR full of phone numbers on pieces of paper has way more visual impact than having a list, on a cell phone.

Not saying it's better, it's just how I roll.

Bitches.

Last edited:
@ Syrup and Johnny

Mine costs less than $2 per year, and I cant make a fire with it. Not to mention having a JAR full of phone numbers on pieces of paper has way more visual impact than having a list, on a cell phone.

Bitches.
either way, tell me about something that else that you carry every day and hope that you never have to use.

@ Syrup and Johnny

Bitches.

As if anyone would answer if you called.

either way, tell me about something that else that you carry every day and hope that you never have to use.

I frequently carry an assortment of tools for my bike, including a wind-up flashlight/radio/cellphone charger that I haven't had to use in an emergency yet.

I'm sure you have at least one spare tire in your car, I do, and luckily I've only needed the spare (On my own vehicle, rental cars are a different story) once in the last 13 years.

Road flares, tire gunk, all that good stuff.

Also carry credit cards I hope I never have to use.

I frequently carry an assortment of tools for my bike, including a wind-up flashlight/radio/cellphone charger that I haven't had to use in an emergency yet.

I'm sure you have at least one spare tire in your car, I do, and luckily I've only needed the spare (On my own vehicle, rental cars are a different story) once in the last 13 years.

there's no fear of emotional distress should you have to, god forbid, buy something on your credit card.

Cash? lol

Knife, pen, paper, moneys, ID, credit card, watch, hair bands, doggy treats, lighter, multi-screwdriver type thingy (dont like multi tools), some little green engineering reference book.

Lighter being the most important.

I'll add First Aid kit. In the winter I add things to my truck just in case I get stuck somewhere.

I answered, the answer is most people who carry guns dont see them as anything special. You have an expectation of a special answer where there is no call for one. The people who do have them (most of them anyway) think of them as just a thing that you can carry if you want.

Look at every single serious response here about any gun topic. The people who are pro gun are the people who dont think they are anything special. The outrage is more at being arbitrarily villainized for things that never have crossed their mind than anything else. The actual object is peripheral.

I suppose for many people who carry guns, it's because they grew up with them and really don't see them as anything special. The thing is, they are special. Almost 70% of the murders in the US involve guns. I don't think any other object you toss in your pocket before you leave your home carries that kind of weight.

The people who object to gun ownership are so stereotypical it hurts. They either dont trust themselves or dont trust other people. The actual wording of course varies but that is basically what it can be abstracted to. Through ignorance and unfamiliarity they also attach emotions and myths to pieces of machinery.

It is exactly like not understanding computers etc. It's the exact same reason little kids are afraid of toilets. I cant remember the exact word for it, it's part of developmental psychology. If you dont understand the individual components of a system you understand it as a whole, not the sum of it's parts. Fear of guns is an extreme version of that, that is reenforced by modern culture.

I simply don't trust other people with guns the same way I don't trust other people when I go out for a drive. I don't want to die and there are a lot of irresponsible people in this world out there driving cars or carrying guns or doing a plethora of other dangerous things that could impact me. I don't think that's ignorant, I don't think it has anything to do with fear, I think that's real. Little kids are afraid of toilets because they think they can get hurt by them, but then they learn that it's safe (in most cases ;)) and move on. People are afraid of guns partly because they are not educated, but partly because they know that they can get hurt or dead by them. I'm sure there are a few people around here who know someone who has died because of gun violence, it isn't that uncommon.

All that being said, I'm not opposed to well educated, responsible adults owning and carrying guns. It is our right and there are good reasons for it, although one of those good reasons doesn't really stand up since I seriously doubt we as a country could overtake our government/military with any amount of fire power we could muster up. Ultimately it comes down to freedom, and I'm all for it.

I just wish there were some way to determine who the responsible people are in this world. I also realize that most of these gun murders we have are by people who were probably not licensed to carry and obtained the guns through dishonest measures. I wish there were something we could do about this too, but as long as there are guns available to honest people there will be guns available to dishonest ones.

I personally do not want to own a gun. I don't want to shoot anyone. Lucky for me I've never been in a situation where I thought "Gee I wish I had a gun" and I doubt I ever will be. I hope I'm also never in a situation where I have to think "Gee I wish that person didn't have a gun", but I still doubt I'd wish I had one at that moment. You never know though. Sometime in my life I will probably take a gun safety class just so I know more about them. Maybe I can learn some Matrix style moves too so I can dodge bullets. That would be cool.

Word.

I always feel incredibly weird talking about having to trust other people because intuitively I dont. Outside the real of my personal friends I have an incredibly cynical view on the concept of social trust and relationships. There is absolutely no good reason -not- to think that every interpersonal event in regular society is some form of systemic exploitation, i.e. everyone is out to get you.

When it comes to guns though things are slightly clearer. You are dealing with something that has no middle ground, it is the perfect individual weapon, the end product of well over 10,000 years of large scale war. There's no reason to dance around that or say 'I like hunting.' Guns are made for winning a fight completely, and that usually means killing someone.

Given that every reasonable person knows this on some level you simply have to trust that they have the same attitude as yourself. As long as people need something like this in any situation, they should have the option. There is no mutual unspoken societal agreement when only certain classes of individuals are allowed access to that type of power.

Placing a 'monopoly on the legitimate use of physical force' (Max Weber) assumes a perfect system. No man made system, or group of human individuals is without fault or weakness. It makes more sense to subscribe to a system of mutual respect than power from the top down. Mutual respect, I might add, that is societal and not legal (criminals dont care about laws because of their basic nature and so on).

[Half these philosophies are rooted in libertarian anarchism lol]

On a side note I might add that I annoy to a frothing rage :p