UF Statistic - Poll About Guns

How do you FEEL about guns?

• Total voters

?

merrillwood_clip_111.jpg

so, all you who choose to carry, why do you carry? do you feel threatened? why did you decide at whatever point to start carrying? i mean, i do understand those who have dangerous lives, or are on the run from someone, but when a person decides to start carrying a gun, is it mostly because something specific has happened? is it because he/she lives in a certain neighborhood? i'm just curious as to how it begins for many. i am assuming that specific things happen to someone which make it easier to make the decision to carry.

so, all you who choose to carry, why do you carry? do you feel threatened? why did you decide at whatever point to start carrying? i mean, i do understand those who have dangerous lives, or are on the run from someone, but when a person decides to start carrying a gun, is it mostly because something specific has happened? is it because he/she lives in a certain neighborhood? i'm just curious as to how it begins for many. i am assuming that specific things happen to someone which make it easier to make the decision to carry.
so, all you who choose carry a cell phone, why do you have one? do you feel that your ability to place a call at any time is that important? why did you decide at whatever point to get one? i mean, i do understand those who have dangerous lives, or need to be in contact with people at all times, but when a person decides to start carrying a phone, is it mostly because something specific has happened? is it because he/she lives in a certain neighborhood? i'm just curious as to how it begins for many. i am assuming that specific things happen to someone which make it easier to make the decision to buy one rather than just wait until you can make it to a landline

so, all you who choose carry a cell phone, why do you have one? do you feel that your ability to place a call at any time is that important? why did you decide at whatever point to get one? i mean, i do understand those who have dangerous lives, or need to be in contact with people at all times, but when a person decides to start carrying a phone, is it mostly because something specific has happened? is it because he/she lives in a certain neighborhood? i'm just curious as to how it begins for many. i am assuming that specific things happen to someone which make it easier to make the decision to buy one rather than just wait until you can make it to a landline

Yes, gun and cellphone. Same same.

sorry hun. i fail to see how they are interchangeable.

they are both a tool. neither are not require but can be useful. it's like the pocket knife i carry with me at all times.

yeahyeahyeah i get that part. what i don't get is that flaming is smart enough to know that even though it works, it doesn't work. just like you sugarlips. you know what i mean. there i said it.

i am just not feelin' commas today. :iono:

sorry hun. i fail to see how they are interchangeable.

You arent questioning guns themselves, just about carrying them. Carrying a gun is just like carrying any other inanimate object designed for applicable real world uses.

The fallacy you continue to make is attaching emotions or ethics to an inanimate piece of machinery.

You could abstract it into a syllogism. Inappropriate generalisation?

Last edited:
You arent questioning guns themselves, just about carrying them. Carrying a gun is just like carrying any other inanimate object designed for applicable real world uses.

The fallacy you continue to make is attaching emotions or ethics to an inanimate piece of machinery.

You could abstract it into a syllogism.

no, i was really asking because i am really wondering. i'm not trying to be a smartass or challenging. i just started thinking of why people decide to carry and thought i'd ask. it's not a judgmental question.

yes, those are entirely interchangeable metaphors...DEATH BY CELL PHONE :p

i was anti cellphone until i was given one essentially for free (added line on my sister's account, which allowed her to get a discount on a new phone). i started carrying it and found that it is incredibly useful. i was using it every day. in fact, i use it so often i don't think i could go back to not carrying a cellphone at all time.

You could abstract it into a syllogism. Inappropriate generalisation?
i don't carry around anything unless i use it. phone, keys, wallet.

no, i was really asking because i am really wondering. i'm not trying to be a smartass or challenging. i just started thinking of why people decide to carry and thought i'd ask. it's not a judgmental question.
I answered, the answer is most people who carry guns dont see them as anything special. You have an expectation of a special answer where there is no call for one. The people who do have them (most of them anyway) think of them as just a thing that you can carry if you want.

Look at every single serious response here about any gun topic. The people who are pro gun are the people who dont think they are anything special. The outrage is more at being arbitrarily villainized for things that never have crossed their mind than anything else. The actual object is peripheral.

The people who object to gun ownership are so stereotypical it hurts. They either dont trust themselves or dont trust other people. The actual wording of course varies but that is basically what it can be abstracted to. Through ignorance and unfamiliarity they also attach emotions and myths to pieces of machinery.

It is exactly like not understanding computers etc. It's the exact same reason little kids are afraid of toilets. I cant remember the exact word for it, it's part of developmental psychology. If you dont understand the individual components of a system you understand it as a whole, not the sum of it's parts. Fear of guns is an extreme version of that, that is reenforced by modern culture.

I answered, the answer is most people who carry guns dont see them as anything special. You have an expectation of a special answer where there is no call for one. The people who do have them (most of them anyway) think of them as just a thing that you can carry if you want.

Look at every single serious response here about any gun topic. The people who are pro gun are the people who dont think they are anything special. The outrage is more at being arbitrarily villainized for things that never have crossed their mind than anything else. The actual object is peripheral.

The people who object to gun ownership are so stereotypical it hurts. They either dont trust themselves or dont trust other people. The actual wording of course varies but that is basically what it can be abstracted to. Through ignorance and unfamiliarity they also attach emotions and myths to pieces of machinery.

It is exactly like not understanding computers etc. It's the exact same reason little kids are afraid of toilets. I cant remember the exact word for it, it's part of developmental psychology. If you dont understand the individual components of a system you understand it as a whole, not the sum of it's parts. Fear of guns is an extreme version of that, that is reenforced by modern culture.

QFE

that line of reasoning dictates I should carry a jaws of life at all times because there's no telling when I might need one...riiiiiiiight

that line of reasoning dictates I should carry a jaws of life at all times because there's no telling when I might need one...riiiiiiiight
Do you even expect an answer to this? It not a response at all.

Last edited: