Hawt UF Poop Club: March Edition

People are so defensive over these books.

Surprisingly, JK's writing style in those books is kind of captivating. She's not a hack, even considering her lack of experience before the first HP book was released.

I wouldn't call the series 'childrens books'. By book 3, they are clearly and definitely 'novels'.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
I was calling bullshit. Its a good YA series, but nowhere near my favorite
I was in highschool then when they came out... from the sounds of it they were kids books when the first came out then "grew up" with the readers. I was not in that age range and was too busy with boys to give a shit. lol

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Bullshit.

You're about the same age as I am. The first HP book came out in the US when I was in 8th or 9th grade. The age argument holds no water.
1998 in the US so ape and I were 16. In all fairness it was targeted to younger ages and I had no interest in reading them at that time. I don't think I read the first one till I was in my 20's. Possibly after seeing the first couple movies if I'm recalling correctly. I could easily see why April never read them.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
1998 in the US so ape and I were 16. In all fairness it was targeted to younger ages and I had no interest in reading them at that time. I don't think I read the first one till I was in my 20's. Possibly after seeing the first couple movies if I'm recalling correctly. I could easily see why April never read them.
Thanks for having my back, boo.

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi
I was 18, and still read them when they came out.

But I'm mentally 12, so yeah. I'm actually kinda supporting your point here, I guess.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
i was also a late teenager when they came out, i think i read the first two at some point and then lost interest.

Which is completely out of character since i have the stomach to read cheesy ass dungeons and dragons books and other things of that ilk

Like what.

I'm still trying to find my copy of the book, actually. I read it when I was active duty.

I actually gave it a 3 which is pretty good for my rating scale. But it was missing a lot of things. Character emotion, imagery, a solid foundation in the laws of the universe. "Because magic" was used way too often as an explanation to some bizarre scenes.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was Anthony's first book.

All that said, I would still call it a good book.

I actually gave it a 3 which is pretty good for my rating scale. But it was missing a lot of things. Character emotion, imagery, a solid foundation in the laws of the universe. "Because magic" was used way too often as an explanation to some bizarre scenes.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was Anthony's first book.

All that said, I would still call it a good book.
Don't forget that the book is a setup for the world. There are six more books, with each explaining things a bit more from a different viewpoint.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL and nukes
Don't forget that the book is a setup for the world. There are six more books, with each explaining things a bit more from a different viewpoint.

Oh the rest of the books are told from the perspective of the other characters?

I looked it up, seems there are 8 books all together, unless I miscounted.

Oh the rest of the books are told from the perspective of the other characters?

I looked it up, seems there are 8 books all together, unless I miscounted.
Not the rest of the characters you encounter in the first book, but other of the godlike personalities. War, The Fates, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Not the rest of the characters you encounter in the first book, but other of the godlike personalities. War, The Fates, etc.
IIRC, you meet many of those characters in the first book tho.

edit: It's kinda neat in that you get to learn about Time having to live his life backwards. And Satan kinda being a nice dude.