FYI UF Poop Club: April Edition

I started Mr. Mercedes. I'm liking it so far, but I haven't gotten far yet.

I tried to start one flew over the cuckoos nest but I couldn't get into the voice used for the narration.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
I started Mr. Mercedes. I'm liking it so far, but I haven't gotten far yet.

I tried to start one flew over the cuckoos nest but I couldn't get into the voice used for the narration.
On my list to read. Currently reading When Breath Becomes Air... Pretty good so far too.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
im reading Old Man's War right now by John Scalzi.

It definitely is reminiscint of The Forever War, which was essentially space vietnam.

Which is funny, cause Scalzi never read forever war until after he wrote it.

im reading Old Man's War right now by John Scalzi.

It definitely is reminiscint of The Forever War, which was essentially space vietnam.

Which is funny, cause Scalzi never read forever war until after he wrote it.
I never got that from Old Man's War. Other than future-war, which part(s) reminds you of it?

Edit: and the PTSD

I never got that from Old Man's War. Other than future-war, which part(s) reminds you of it?

Edit: and the PTSD

Im only about 25% in, but just the "you're soldiers now, your whole life revolves around that, dont ask questions, dont ask why" bit.

Im only about 25% in, but just the "you're soldiers now, your whole life revolves around that, dont ask questions, dont ask why" bit.
Ehhh.... To be fair, that's a military thing, not an unintentional similarity.

If the underlying reason were the same I could see it. In Old Man's War its because "due to attrition, you will die before anything makes sense." where (if I remember) in Forever it was due to no one else knowing/too many secrets being kept by the govt.

Might be wrong on the underlying reason for Forever War. Been a long while since I read it. Didn't really care for it.

Foreve
Ehhh.... To be fair, that's a military thing, not an unintentional similarity.

If the underlying reason were the same I could see it. In Old Man's War its because "due to attrition, you will die before anything makes sense." where (if I remember) in Forever it was due to no one else knowing/too many secrets being kept by the govt.

Might be wrong on the underlying reason for Forever War. Been a long while since I read it. Didn't really care for it.
Forever war was a tough read, but i slogged through it, and by the end, understanding the context of the time it was written, i appreciated it.