Food UF Fart Group? - EAT YOUR PEAS

I can't wait til those two half-asians start using colloquialisms like "fixin to set down to et some groceries".

Gonna do steaks tomorrow. This a good start for a pair of 1lbers? No boneView attachment 5566
View attachment 5567

I recall Valve saying something about it not being that great if the vide part ran too long but I think his was a lot more than an hour.

You're basically bringing it up to whatever temp you want for doneness (rare, medium, etc.) and just holding it there long enough to do whatever it's going to do as far as melt fat, kill stuff, then a quick, hot as hell sear on the outside.

I started out with this, but now I prefer 90 minutes. The weight is less important than the thickness of the meat. I go with nothing else in the bag, then kosher salt and pepper for the sear.
Wife likes her steaks real rare.
Do herbs get bitter or anything? Or you just don't like the taste?

Somehow my Calphalon enamel Dutch oven got chipped during Thanksgiving. Two flecks missing inside. Had the fucker for ten years.

I’m irritated. :mad:

I don’t know if I can re-enamel it.

Or if I just need to get a real Le Creuset finally.

This one was a massive 12qt or something.

Packed it with 21 short ribs with room to spare.

Somehow my Calphalon enamel Dutch oven got chipped during Thanksgiving. Two flecks missing inside. Had the fucker for ten years.

You might be able to, but it would be a pain in the ass I bet.

Wife likes her steaks real rare.
Do herbs get bitter or anything? Or you just don't like the taste?

i don't like the way herbs taste in a cook, i find they can muddy the flavour of a good steak. 90 mins won't cook it more, it will just make sure that the whole thing is cooked to temp. Some thicker steaks won't be fully cooked in an hour, in my experience. And I don't time it, sometimes it's 75 minutes. A few minutes either way doesn't make any difference. Play around with it, find your sweet spot.

You can't overcook it with sous vide, it just affects the texture. Time is texture, temp is "doneness".

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor

that sucks. I have a lodge and a tramontina both of which are about the same age. they are a stained on the bottom, but no chips or scratches.

i don't like the way herbs taste in a cook, i find they can muddy the flavour of a good steak. 90 mins won't cook it more, it will just make sure that the whole thing is cooked to temp. Some thicker steaks won't be fully cooked in an hour, in my experience. And I don't time it, sometimes it's 75 minutes. A few minutes either way doesn't make any difference. Play around with it, find your sweet spot.

You can't overcook it with sous vide, it just affects the texture. Time is texture, temp is "doneness".

in relation to pork chops as discussed elsewhere, not beef steaks, since apparently cows have decided they hate me and i cant have beef anymore without choking, i like to add the herbal flavors after the fact, not in cooking. Bright flavors like fresh parsley, with an acid and a fat. Use sparingly to enhance without overpowering the meat.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie