Food UF Fart Group? - EAT YOUR PEAS

@tre @gee

Are one of you Newfies? Bourdain's parts unknown on Sunday was from there. Great ep. Hysterical to hear the guests saying "yeah, well, Newfoundland isn't exactly a canadian destination."

but the food they were eating all looked amazing.
@gee is totally a Newfie displaced to Nova Scotia.

I haven't been to NL yet, but its on my list

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
@tre @gee

Are one of you Newfies? Bourdain's parts unknown on Sunday was from there. Great ep. Hysterical to hear the guests saying "yeah, well, Newfoundland isn't exactly a canadian destination."

but the food they were eating all looked amazing.
Proud newfie here. Watched it, loved it.

The history about the cod fishery at the beginning of the show, then taking Bourdain out cod fishing and making fish and brewis from it was spot on... I mostly grew up just outside of St. John's, but spent a good part of my childhood down in the Burin Peninsula, where both my parents are from. My grandfather, my brother and I would go out in his boat and jig for cod, bring them back and cook them up for supper that night. That brought back lots of memories, it was awesome to see Bourdain be given the same "work for your dinner" experience.

The government employee that Bourdain interviewed at Chafe's (which they called "Charlie's"... grr) did a great job describing the stubborn resilience that newfoundlanders have, the ability to get by no matter the circumstances, making due with what they've got. Lots of traditional newfoundland food is the product of poverty - fish and brewis is cured/salted pork fat, hard bread and salt cod, none of which require refrigeration. Jiggs Dinner is the same thing - a boiled up mixture of salt beef and whatever root vegetables will actually grow in NL's shitty soil.

I think the show got a bit out there with the food in the middle part of the show - charcuterie, truffles, parsnip ice cream and whatever the fuck they dumped out of a can isn't exactly what I'd call traditional newfoundland food. But at the same time I can't knock Jeremy Charles and the success he's had, good for him and good for newfoundland, the work he's doing is bringing people from far abroad into the province and this show wouldn't have happened without him. But the outdoor moose dinner scene brought the best line in the show... "why do we put truffles on our food? for the same reason a dog eats its ass"

The little glimpse of St. Pierre was great. Most newfoundlanders don't really relate with the St. Pierre culture, most of us look at the place as somewhere to smuggle cheap booze from :) Which may have happened in my family, just a little bit. But they're a group of people clinging to an even smaller island that's even further in the middle of nowhere, so much respect for them.

Everything went back together when they gathered at the Big R, sharing a big pile of unpretentious "true newfoundland" food. Fried bologna, cod tongues, pretty much everything that's salty and starchy and savory and greasy, that right there is pretty much newfoundland's take on soul food. Best food on earth if you ask me.

The screech-in they did at Christians Pub was well done. They didn't show the full part of the ceremony (probably edited out for TV friendliness) but that's pretty much how we treat tourists on the island. They pay us money and we have them say a bunch of dumb shit, eat bologna, take a shot of god awful rum and kiss a fish... we proclaim them as "honorary newfoundlanders" and they fucking love it.

Arthur O'Brien at the end of the show was a perfect finish. He's a fixture on the George Street bar scene playing traditional irish/newfoundland music. Great guy and glad to see him on there.

Proud newfie here. Watched it, loved it.
big ditto!

I didn't know the the cod history that was cool.

Or that the guys all hang out at 'the shed.' Is that the newfie version of the mancave??

I think the show got a bit out there with the food in the middle part
of the show - charcuterie, truffles, parsnip ice cream and whatever the fuck they dumped out of a can isn't exactly what I'd call traditional newfoundland food. But at the same time I can't knock Jeremy Charles and the success he's had, good for him and good for newfoundland, the work he's doing is bringing people from far abroad into the province and this show wouldn't have happened without him. But the outdoor moose dinner scene brought the best line in the show... "why do we put truffles on our food? for the same reason a dog eats its ass"

Do you usually watch the show? I think he's like that with most of them. 'out there a bit.'

He usually does the 'and here is a really good place to eat. In this one he mentioned to one of the guys that there was a high end place there but not en0ugh customers to actually go & appreciate the food. & something along the lines of literally having customers wanting to fly there to get enough customers to be busy. He usually does the 'and here is a really good place to eat. They know food.' Graphically high end but not necessarily high end the way we describe it. He mentioned to one of the guys that there was a high end place there but not en0ugh customers to actually go & appreciate the food. & something along the lines of literally having customers wanting to fly there to get enough customers to be busy. He usually does the 'and here is a really good place to eat.

Then, they usually do a 'this is how the locals do it.' This time with the woman that wanted to open a bakery. &damn if she didn't know how to work a kitchen and had course after course of amazing food. It was cool that the guys were all 'we need to talk about how to get this open. guy 1) we'll talk about financials. guy 2) and your menu? this is all good but add different cheese and have a wine bar. Having a wine bar is a license to print money.

:lol:

I enjoy the shit out of that show. You feel like you're actually getting a little cultural immersion.

Or that the guys all hang out at 'the shed.' Is that the newfie version of the mancave??
Pretty much, yeah. If you're gonna have da by's over for some drinks, you might as well give the missus some peace and quiet in the house and head out to the shed.

I've only ever watched a couple other episodes of the show. I should watch it more often.

• Gravy
My daughter & I watched about 10 seasons of topchef, & loved the show & guest chefs. Do you know who Eric Ripert is? Personality-wise? Like it's easy to see Bourdain's personality.

I love Eric Ripert. He's awesome. Went to his restaurant in November - it was amazing.

• Gravy
I love Eric Ripert. He's awesome. Went to his restaurant in November - it was amazing.
Cool. I posted here about a funny as fuck parts unknown with him. If you know their two personalities, it's a hysterical must watch.

https://uselessforums.com/threads/uf-fart-group-eat-your-peas.13923/page-131#post-1397969

It looks like it's on netflix. s08e03.

In the past couple weeks I saw a Parts Unknown with him & boulud. Not sure if they fished, but they were all eating really good fresh fish. & Ripert, the Buddhist, said he really doesn't like fishing because he doesn't like 'killing the fish' part. Boulud casually replies with 'what's the difference between killing the fish or having someone else do it for you?' & he kind of shrugs. Then, Mack Truck Bourdain chimes in with, "Yeah, with the amount of seafood you serve, all by yourself you're responsible for more fish kills than the best fishermen in the world." & Ripert is shrinking in his seat with "I don't like to think about that." :lol:

There's several episodes with the two of them, & they're all really good.

Cool. I posted here about a funny as fuck parts unknown with him. If you know their two personalities, it's a hysterical must watch.

https://uselessforums.com/threads/uf-fart-group-eat-your-peas.13923/page-131#post-1397969

It looks like it's on netflix. s08e03.

In the past couple weeks I saw a Parts Unknown with him & boulud. Not sure if they fished, but they were all eating really good fresh fish. & Ripert, the Buddhist, said he really doesn't like fishing because he doesn't like 'killing the fish' part. Boulud casually replies with 'what's the difference between killing the fish or having someone else do it for you?' & he kind of shrugs. Then, Mack Truck Bourdain chimes in with, "Yeah, with the amount of seafood you serve, all by yourself you're responsible for more fish kills than the best fishermen in the world." & Ripert is shrinking in his seat with "I don't like to think about that." :lol:

There's several episodes with the two of them, & they're all really good.

There's a picture of Ripert in Bourdain's latest cookbook eating biscuits and sausage gravy, and the comment from Bourdain is basically how hilarious it is to see a frenchman try that for the first time.

• Gravy