Food TV shows that you may not be watching but should be

I said it's hard to articulate, there are aspects of it that I didn't bother to flesh out as it would take too much time and I doubt I could put it across in such a way that would be easily understood.
But no, death doesn't make their story less interesting, but their death also doesn't encourage you to keep reading and find another character for you to champion.

I think drool summed it up for me. Not sure if its that I'm dumb or that the show isn't directed/produced well, but I kinda forgot that the main story isn't the war - its the white walkers.

I'd have to pay attention more, but I feel that's a little wrong. He does have a core cast, but he is clearly adding people. Considering who he kills, who knows if the people he's adding are going to become core cast members or not?

So, this season (second half of book 2) the only people i see "added" are the prettyboy mercenary who seems fairly minor as of yet, and... i cant even think of a second.

So, this season (second half of book 2) the only people i see "added" are the prettyboy mercenary who seems fairly minor as of yet, and... i cant even think of a second.
People that I think are new (or got bigger parts) from all of Season 3, but can't remember if they are actually new:
House Tyrell are ascendant in a fairly large way
The other priest of light (or whoever) that keeps resurrecting that one guy
That one guy that keeps getting resurrected
The magic-kid and his sister that hang out with Bran/Hodor
Pretty sure we're gonna see more of the people that gave Jamie Lannister a hand :)fly:)
Dude that Theon hangs out with
The former Night Watch guy with the Wildlings

ahhh yeah, the whole merc crew (brothers of whatever). I like them, and hope they become a big part.

Ok, i stand corrected. Lots of new folks

Like I said considering how many people get whacked, and how often they do, they have to increase the cast fairly regularly, to their credit though they do a good job of slipping them in unobtrusively so that you don't really realize they are there until they cut someone's dick off or something.

People that I think are new (or got bigger parts) from all of Season 3, but can't remember if they are actually new:
House Tyrell are ascendant in a fairly large way
The other priest of light (or whoever) that keeps resurrecting that one guy
That one guy that keeps getting resurrected
The magic-kid and his sister that hang out with Bran/Hodor
Pretty sure we're gonna see more of the people that gave Jamie Lannister a hand :)fly:)
Dude that Theon hangs out with
The former Night Watch guy with the Wildlings

Some of these people are "new" to viewers, but not new to readers. Because of the cost of casting and paying actors, the story lines often wait to introduce people, otherwise they have to pay out much more.

Thoros of Myr (the dude who keeps resurrecting Beric Dondarrion) had been around since the first book, I believe, as has Beric. Tyrells have been players since book one, too. The people who did the thing with Jaime were different people in the books. Dude that Theon hangs out with was mentioned early on in the books, and his storyline there is a little different.

Your complaints are with D&D/HBO "adding" characters, not GRRM.

Your complaints are with D&D/HBO "adding" characters, not GRRM.
That list had nothing to do with my complaints, and everything to do with showing Domon that the series does add main/could-become-main characters fairly regularly.

My complaints are many, but one was that you have no incentive to actually grow to like any of the characters as you know there is pretty good chance that they will get killed.

That list had nothing to do with my complaints, and everything to do with showing Domon that the series does add main/could-become-main characters fairly regularly.

My complaints are many, but one was that you have no incentive to actually grow to like any of the characters as you know there is pretty good chance that they will get killed.

:shrug: Other than Eddard, and now the RW, what characters had you learned to love and invested time and energy on that were killed?

That's what made the RW so damn shocking. It is your first REAL taste of the horrors to come; you can actually feel the distrust and fear that everybody living in that world must feel.

Personally, I was devastated when I read the RW, but at the same time I didn't feel like everything leading up to that had been a waste because they died. The whole thing was a very important part of the story, and let's face it- pretty damn realistic in terms of what Tywin and company would do. It was shocking because WHAT THE FUCK DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN? but also not shocking, because it makes sense in-world.

That's part of what makes these stories so interesting- you can't just predict how they're going to turn out. There's not good vs. evil, there's battling shades of grey. You can't pick up the books and say "Ok, so he's the hero, he'll get the girl, she's evil, she'll die, he'll be defeated, etc" because you just don't know until you read it.

The series is called a Song of Fire and Ice.

Deanarys is Fire. Jon Snow, Ice.

The story has been, and is all along, a story about them.

:shrug: Other than Eddard, and now the RW, what characters had you learned to love and invested time and energy on that were killed?

That's what made the RW so damn shocking. It is your first REAL taste of the horrors to come; you can actually feel the distrust and fear that everybody living in that world must feel.

Personally, I was devastated when I read the RW, but at the same time I didn't feel like everything leading up to that had been a waste because they died. The whole thing was a very important part of the story, and let's face it- pretty damn realistic in terms of what Tywin and company would do. It was shocking because WHAT THE FUCK DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN? but also not shocking, because it makes sense in-world.

That's part of what makes these stories so interesting- you can't just predict how they're going to turn out. There's not good vs. evil, there's battling shades of grey. You can't pick up the books and say "Ok, so he's the hero, he'll get the girl, she's evil, she'll die, he'll be defeated, etc" because you just don't know until you read it.

It seems every (including the starks) in the west rules with force and violence. Daenarys rules with fairness and benevolence. She's the one good-guy in a way

I assumed that's where its going, but is that really what the story is about? Or is it about winter coming and the white walkers with it? And no fucking spoilers if you know.

Who died that I liked, not including RW:
Ned Stark
Khal Drogo
Jeor Mormont (mainly cause of the actor playing him)
Ros
sorta liked Yoren
The bald wizard guy from Qarth (mainly because the story is supposed to be about a world where there is magic and you dont ever fucking see any. Three seasons in and you are just now seeing main characters perform magical acts? Why the slow build up?)
Arya's sword instructor? What happened to him?

I will freely admit that of that list, there are maybe three that I was actually unhappy about them dying, the rest were just disappointing. However, the fact that I can list that many does sort of help prove my point of "why care about these guys?"

And like I said, the main reason I stopped reading was the books started to become tedious. There is all this build up, and no real release from it. No resolution within that storyline.

Sounds like a fairly narrow viewpoint, and one that GRRM would love to use for a rope-a-dope.

Summer and Winter
Southern kingdoms and northern
South of the wall, north of it
Dragons/Wildlings
Emotions/Logic

Virtually any literary interpretation can fall into those two categories

Who died that I liked, not including RW:
Ned Stark - I already said this one :p
Khal Drogo - I'll grant you this, but he wasn't around THAT long
Jeor Mormont (mainly cause of the actor playing him) - I was sad when this happened in the books :(
Ros - She's not a book character, she was made up entirely for the show
sorta liked Yoren - He is a pretty minor character, he does some things, but he's not like, a major character or anything
The bald wizard guy from Qarth (mainly because the story is supposed to be about a world where there is magic and you dont ever fucking see any. Three seasons in and you are just now seeing main characters perform magical acts? Why the slow build up?) - Pyat Pree/Koolaid mouth? I don't think he's dead, bruh
Arya's sword instructor? What happened to him? - Syrio Forel is assumed dead. Again, he played a specific part early on, but he was only around for a handful of episodes.

I will freely admit that of that list, there are maybe three that I was actually unhappy about them dying, the rest were just disappointing. However, the fact that I can list that many does sort of help prove my point of "why care about these guys?"

And like I said, the main reason I stopped reading was the books started to become tedious. There is all this build up, and no real release from it. No resolution within that storyline.

comments above^^

BTW, did we talk about how they mentioned "french cuffs" in one of the episodes? I missed it until @APRIL said something. LOL FRANCE DOESNT EXIST THERE

Last edited:
BTW, did we talk about how they mentioned "french cuffs" in one of the episodes? I missed it until @APRIL said something. LOL FRANCE DOESNT EXIST THERE

ZOMG, WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY ARE SPEAKING ENGLISH!?!?!?

There are only so many concessions they can make, duder

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it would be totally impossible for them to write around a reference to France. :rolleyes:

My point is that you can't really complain about verbal-anachronisms when using the English language. Considering how many references come from sources that never existed in that world, you would literally have to write an entire new glossary of words and phrases