Food TV shows that you may not be watching but should be

emmy rossum has been one of my favs since comet, so it had been on my list for a while. I find the writing far more clever than I expected it to be given the content. easy type of show to get lazy on but so far in S1 it hasn't done that.
think ill give it another try :)

• Gravy
Reactions: definitely
I'm not arguing that if someone is unhappy with their partner's libido they don't have recourse, but you bring up how often she may or may not have consented to sex, which is 100% hypothetical/conjecture on your part btw, as if that has any bearing on the events that transpired.
Nope. You said JWB raped her daily. This implies zero consent on LBs part. Neither is acceptable.
In a marriage, some consentual sex is implied as an expectation. Let's say a few times per month. If he was raping her daily then both parties brought baggage to the table (more him than her) but at the end of the day, both parties are violent criminals.

I'm not sure how you grew up, but it's way too close to how some of my friends grew up for me to agree with that 100%

the overall realism is there but the little episode-to-episode story arcs don't make that much sense a lot of the time. big big leaps.

but yea, it is in the bleakest corner of humour/drama on tv for sure. kind of why I expected it to be lazier in the writing than it turned out to be. it's surprising how little it comes off laughing at them and how empathetic a lot of the scenarios are framed.

Been a while since I've watched, you have an example?

single-episode spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't watched

i'm only halfway through S1, but the episode where they steal an old lady with alzheimer's from a nursing home to fool social security workers who were already suspicious of the whole situation comes to mind.

no ID asked for, no investigative work of any sort despite bringing in a federal agent on purpose to investigate. the lady was even reported missing from the nursing home and was on the TV news broadcast when she was returned.

so yea, the social security fraud is realistic, but the whole episode that revolved around stealing an old lady for the scam was not. but it was still hilarious.

Nope. You said JWB raped her daily. This implies zero consent on LBs part. Neither is acceptable.
In a marriage, some consentual sex is implied as an expectation. Let's say a few times per month. If he was raping her daily then both parties brought baggage to the table (more him than her) but at the end of the day, both parties are violent criminals.

On subject. I don't consider her a criminal. Given the nature of their abusive relationship, I think she reached the end of her rope both mentally and physically and snapped. Maybe she figured if she cut it off the abuse would end.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I think once he started beating her and raping her consent was off the table. Giving someone your wallet at gun-point isn't the same as giving someone your wallet so they can pay for pizza. And give your wallet back. Giving up the v-jay at threat of violence isn't consent. People who can't agree/compromise on a frequency without violence should part. IMHO. YMMV I'm totally against physical, mental or verbal abuse in personal relationships.
...just slip out the back, JAck. Make a new plan, Stan.

I think once he started beating her and raping her consent was off the table. Giving someone your wallet at gun-point isn't the same as giving someone your wallet so they can pay for pizza. And give your wallet back. Giving up the v-jay at threat of violence isn't consent. People who can't agree/compromise on a frequency without violence should part. IMHO. YMMV I'm totally against physical, mental or verbal abuse in personal relationships.
...just slip out the back, JAck. Make a new plan, Stan.

Right. Even if it happens once. The abuse and rape take all consent out if it. Now she's just a victim living with her attacker.
And this goes back to a time when people in authority still thought a man can't rape his wife. I doubt she got much help or support.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
single-episode spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't watched

i'm only halfway through S1, but the episode where they steal an old lady with alzheimer's from a nursing home to fool social security workers who were already suspicious of the whole situation comes to mind.

no ID asked for, no investigative work of any sort despite bringing in a federal agent on purpose to investigate. the lady was even reported missing from the nursing home and was on the TV news broadcast when she was returned.

so yea, the social security fraud is realistic, but the whole episode that revolved around stealing an old lady for the scam was not. but it was still hilarious.
What I had to suspend belief on was that they'd report her missing, but I had bad experiences with nursing homes and my grandparents. I get the idea, though.