Ontopic TV morality?

I think as a society, we are way too prudish. In other countries there's full on nudity in regular commercials all the time. I'm too busy to get offended by a song and performance that would have been shocking in 1950 but is commonplace in today's world. Madonna did this years ago. Actually, I'm too busy finding things I like rather than things to be offended by. And no, I don't an organization as immoral as the government has any business telling me what's moral and what isn't. I'd rather they butt out. I'm not in to censorship at all.

You're always so sensible and smert.

Kawaii_by_griffsnuff.png

Last edited:
It's Obvious that DB is just a horrible racist and has something against successful black women.

Surely to forgot my undying devotion to Beyonce and of course the incomparable diva herself, Diana Ross.

What sickens me more is the massive amount of violence that is on TV that no one seems to care about.

Show naked happy people running around, don't show them getting tortured and their heads being cut off.

What sickens me more is the massive amount of violence that is on TV that no one seems to care about.

Show naked happy people running around, don't show them getting tortured and their heads being cut off.

well yea, but then the news would have to make stuff up. instead they just report on whats going on.

I find so many things offensive that I didn't years ago. Guess I'm getting old or I'm more senitive with the kids. I'm into comics and my kids are getting there too. There's a show on cartoon network that features teenage superheroes. And of course they release a comic book based on the show.

So I'm reading the comic to them and at one point one of the heroes uses the word crap. Then later a villain uses the word pissant. Growing up every comic was G rated. I understand that with direct market we can have more mature subjects. I really felt though that a comic book based on a show on cartoon network should automaticly be G rated. No one agreed with me.

Off topic I guess, but they have this Batman cartoon as well. It really is geared to a grade school level. It's silly. But then they had a few things that kind of shocked me. The female heroes sang a song about the male heroes with a lot of sexual innuendos. And then there was another episode in which the Joker kills Batman and then brings him back to life to kill again. Over and over in some really disturbing ways.

So yeah, S&M as a song is kind of too much for me. I kind of like the song I just wish the lyrics weren't the way they are.

really?

pissant
1661, "an ant," from first element of pismire (q.v.) + ant. Meaning "contemptible, insignificant person" is from 1903.

it's like that guy who bitched about the word "niggardly"

I find so many things offensive that I didn't years ago. Guess I'm getting old or I'm more senitive with the kids. I'm into comics and my kids are getting there too. There's a show on cartoon network that features teenage superheroes. And of course they release a comic book based on the show.

So I'm reading the comic to them and at one point one of the heroes uses the word crap. Then later a villain uses the word pissant. Growing up every comic was G rated. I understand that with direct market we can have more mature subjects. I really felt though that a comic book based on a show on cartoon network should automaticly be G rated. No one agreed with me.

Off topic I guess, but they have this Batman cartoon as well. It really is geared to a grade school level. It's silly. But then they had a few things that kind of shocked me. The female heroes sang a song about the male heroes with a lot of sexual innuendos. And then there was another episode in which the Joker kills Batman and then brings him back to life to kill again. Over and over in some really disturbing ways.

So yeah, S&M as a song is kind of too much for me. I kind of like the song I just wish the lyrics weren't the way they are.

What is the logic behind your desire to shield your children from what you consider to be "too much" or taboo for them? What do you believe you accomplish or avoid by doing this? I'm really just trying to understand the other side to me.

I don't recall the comic books all being g-rated. Certainly not some of those half-dressed women. I also have gone back and watched some of the stuff I watched as a kid and I got very different stuff out of it as an adult. I just didn't 'get it' when I was little and I also didn't care. Take for example, the Muppet Show. Here's something that was very family oriented and G-rated and benign, but now that I have seen it as an adult I realize that the brilliance of that show was that there was enough fun stuff for kids and adults to both be kept interested without having anyone get too upset. Then again, in 1980 I don't think people were as busy being offended over stuff as they are now. Sex is sex and words are words and it's all part of life. What are we shielding our children from? If they grew up seeing naked people everywhere would it be as big of a deal? If they grew up knowing about sex would it be as big of a deal? Sometimes I think setting up all these rules is more harmful because it gives kids more ways to rebel. Setting the rules up in opposition to instinct doesn't make any sense. Maybe when I really am a parent I'll feel differently. I guess it is tough to navigate this world right now. If I educate my kids the way I'd like to, they'll probably get in trouble at schools for knowing too much, they'll probably have less friends because parents won't want their kids hanging out with mine. They'll probably have more issues rather than less because our society is so stigmatized. We really do come from puritans and it's so easy to see it. Land of the free? Enlightened society? Separation of church and state? I don't see it.