Hawt Trophy Case Design

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,810
Steam
asastang
So, with the team's third Top 10 finish, I realized we needed a trophy case.
fi0Nnfh.jpg

This is going to hang on the wall in our office. Exact dimensions are to be determined later, and we'd add some LED strips facing towards the back of the case to show the trophies off.

Anyone have any suggestions on stuff that might need to be changed? We have a couple other smaller trophies that will likely go in here, and one Top 3 trophy from our Baja days (which is huge) which may or may not end up in there

Grey pieces are a foam core, we'll do a carbon fiber interior and exterior, then machine some corner mounts and find some aluminum C-channels for the front. I'll likely laser cut some design for the front like I did for my speedo cover.
rjrvp2v.jpg

Why are you designing it for only 3 trophies? Is it a guarantee that this is the last year of competition?

I mean, I'd probably do it in wood, but that's because that's what I'm familiar with, but your plan seems fine; does carbon or foam change dimension with age or humidity or w/e? I'm not really familiar with the material.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee
Why are you designing it for only 3 trophies? Is it a guarantee that this is the last year of competition?

I mean, I'd probably do it in wood, but that's because that's what I'm familiar with, but your plan seems fine; does carbon or foam change dimension with age or humidity or w/e? I'm not really familiar with the material.
This is basically a rough draft. As i said we have another three or four total more trophies and by no means is this the last year. If we continue as we have we should get at least one trophy per year, hopefully a Top 3 win within the next 2-3 years.
I just wanted to show what it might look like, get people on the team talking.

The carbon fiber and its resin are pretty stable, but the foam out gasses as it breaks down, and doesn't have an extremely long life. However by the time it breaks down (5-10 years in the elements I think, and this will be inside in the AC) enough to need replacing we should need another.
I was thinking that some sort of cheap IKEA cabinet might be a better idea as the inner structure, then we can just clad it in carbon fiber. We have the foam board here, though.

Everything about how to design and build it is up for discussion right now.

Also, maybe you build something that's modular and easy to modify? You could do some sort of mortise and tenon setup where each side would be its own piece, and to extend, all you'd need to do would be build new sides and add a shelf... Let me see if I can come up with a (shitty) drawing to explain what I mean.

Use "codeboard" closed cell insulating foam instead of whatever the fuck you're planning to use, it'll last a lot longer and it doesn't outgas. Just make sure it doesn't react with the carbon fiber resin.

If the resin does affect the foam, just use wood. Or just use wood regardless, fuck it.

Use "codeboard" closed cell insulating foam instead of whatever the fuck you're planning to use, it'll last a lot longer and it doesn't outgas. Just make sure it doesn't react with the carbon fiber resin.

If the resin does affect the foam, just use wood.
I wouldn't use wood under CF. It'd end up cracking the resin with the seasons. MDF, OSB, particle board, or even plain old plywood is more stable dimensionally for that sort of application. I hate MDF with the burning passion of a thousand dying suns, but it's probably the best for this application.

I wouldn't use straight cut wood, it'll be expensive and tough to find wood that isn't warped, plus it'll warp/expand like you're saying.

Normally I'd use hardwood plywood for building a cabinet, but since it's being covered in carbon fiber, I'd save a few bucks and go MDF.

i once won a ribbon for drawing a duck really well.

Also, a gazillion and one swimming medals.