Ontopic Transportation costs

$8,000?! Holy crap. I spend roughly $2,400 not including maintenance.

for 9 years straight, will you only pay (including the price of your car(s)) will it only be $2400 a year? Each of those 9 years?

My car is $8000 less than that average, I am paying less interest than average, I get better gas mileage than the average, and my insurance is less than average, but I am still way more than $5000 a year. And that's before new tires and brakes and oil changes every so often.

But you are hardly an average US driver, you must admit. And you got the car you did for almost completely style reasons. If not you would have gotten an gently used Smart car.

I bought it because my boss made me an offer I couldn't refuse. it could have been a honda and for half off I still would have bought it.

I bought it because my boss made me an offer I couldn't refuse. it could have been a honda and for half off I still would have bought it.

In your case, I wouldn't blame you at all. It's a great car. I guess I just feel guilty taking myself to and from work every day or just chim and I going to dinner or visiting friends in the city and back in a fairly large car (Ford Fusion). I don't need a car to handle competitively or accelerate aggressively. I just need simple transportation that reliably takes me where I want to go when I want to go and I would be willing to pay what the average car owner pays for that privilege, around $8000 a year.

The price of your car, the insurance, the gas, and for $45K total for 9 years?

The price of the car varies waaaaay to much person to person. Way to variables in that factor.

I pay about $4,000 on gas per year, and about $1000 per year on insurance.

The price of the car varies waaaaay to much person to person. Way to variables in that factor.

I pay about $4,000 on gas per year, and about $1000 per year on insurance.
Right but my number included the purchase price of the car drawn out to the life expectancy of a car, 9.2 years.

Do you think you spend about $50K every 9 years in buying, maintaining, gassing, and insuring a vehicle?

Right but my number included the purchase price of the car drawn out to the life expectancy of a car, 9.2 years.

Do you think you spend about $50K every 9 years in buying, maintaining, gassing, and insuring a vehicle?

My car is very close to 9 years old. I predict I'll still be driving it for another 10 years. Hence the purchase cost shouldn't factor into this equation.

for 9 years straight, will you only pay (including the price of your car(s)) will it only be $2400 a year? Each of those 9 years?

My car is $8000 less than that average, I am paying less interest than average, I get better gas mileage than the average, and my insurance is less than average, but I am still way more than $5000 a year. And that's before new tires and brakes and oil changes every so often.

Okay including the cost of the car (paid for in cash back in 2004 and will drive it another two years for a total of nine years):

Bought car in 2004 for $7,500
Buy gas every two weeks $50.00 x 24 (average) $1,200 x 9 years = $10,800
Yearly insurance $1,200 x 9 years = $10,800

Total over nine years = $29,100
Over a year = $3,233

I'm still very inexpensive compared to you...wtf.

My car is very close to 9 years old. I predict I'll still be driving it for another 10 years. Hence the purchase cost shouldn't factor into this equation.

In those 10 additional years, do you think you will put in about $27K in maintenance? Like new clutch or engine or transmission or tires or brakes or repairs from accidents?

Okay including the cost of the car (paid for in cash back in 2004 and will drive it another two years for a total of nine years):

Bought car in 2004 for $7,500
Buy gas every two weeks $50.00 x 24 (average) $1,200 x 9 years = $10,800
Yearly insurance $1,200 x 9 years = $10,800

Total over nine years = $29,100
Over a year = $3,233

I'm still very inexpensive compared to you...wtf.

Do you see your car lasting another 2 to 3 years? Do you drive 12k miles?

My car was $20798 in 2010. My car should (cross fingers) run for another 8.5 years baring anymore drunks hitting my car.
My insurance for my car is $80 a month.
My interest is 3.9%
My average fuel consumption is 27.23mpg
I do drive a lot more, though. this year is skewed but my last car average was 18K miles a year without my road trip.

So that's $2260 a year for the car (no interest)
$2446 a year for gas using the national average
$960 a year in insurance.

Total: $5666 a year on my car. That is without interest or any maintenance or replacement parts like tires or brakes. I would still pay $8000 a year if I didn't have to worry about driving around a 16 foot long ton and a half hunk of metal and plastic bits with 1 million other bonzos every morning and evening to a from work, polluting and using fuel pointlessly. For $8000 a year, give me a pod that drives itself to every place I direct it to like my car and not have any other expenses or accidents.

Of course if I NEEDED the abilities of a truck, for towing for instance, that's one thing. But I think I have required the use of a large vehicle 3 times in my life.

We replace our mid- family size saloons new every 3 years.

Purchase cost per car around £21,000
resale value after 3 years £11,000

cost per year £3,333

20,000 miles a year fuel costs £2,400

Insurance per year around £350

servicing and tyres £300 per year

Cost per year £6383

Were we to keep the car for 9 years, the costs (excluding major repairs) would be £4161 a year or approx $6700. If our gas prices were the same as yours, my costs would be down to just over $4100 a year.

I ride to work on a chariot pulled by whatever hobos are around downtown

c584a5990cd807ae40b721483de12a75.jpg