TOYS!!!!

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
Here are the top toys of each decade for the past 100 years, as listed in Forbes. It's funny to see just how long some of these have been around. For example, the Sorry boardgame debuted in 1934? :wtf:

So what were your favorite toys as a kid? (or maybe still today) Mine were definitely GI Joe and He-Man. I took those dang things everywhere. Cobra Commander had no clue he lived in Castle Greyskull, and Man-At-Arms loved to have garbage bags tied to him like a parachute and be thrown off my 3rd floor balcony.

Transformers were a close third. We used to bust out our best at birthday parties and try to one-up each other with the latest and greatest.

1_1202toys.jpg

1900-1909
Toy: Crayola Crayons
Year Introduced: 1903
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Lionel trains (1900), Teddy Bears (1903), Model T Ford die cast car (1906)
Forbes Fact
The average American child spends 28 minutes a day coloring and wears down about 730 crayons by the age of 10. Parents and schools purchase 2.5 billion crayons each year.

2_1202toys.jpg

1910-1919
Toy: Raggedy Ann Dolls
Year Introduced: 1915
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Erector Sets (1913), Tinkertoys (1913), Lincoln Logs (1916)
Forbes Fact
Lincoln Logs were invented by John Lloyd Wright, the son of architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright was inspired by the way that his father designed the earthquake-proof Imperial Hotel in Tokyo.

3_1202toys.jpg

1920-1929
Toy: Madame Alexander Collectible Dolls
Year Introduced: 1929
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Yo-Yo (1929)
Forbes Fact
Madame Alexander was the first to create a doll based on a licensed character (Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With the Wind), thus paving the way for the glut of movie dolls, figurines and action figures that accompanies contemporary Hollywood releases. She also created the first dolls in honor of living people, producing a set of 36 Queen Elizabeth II dolls to commemorate the 1953 Coronation celebrations in Britain.

4_1202toys.jpg

1930-1939
Toy: View-Master 3-D Viewer
Year Introduced: 1938
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Sorry (1934), Monopoly (1935), Betsey Wetsy doll (1937)
Forbes Fact
The View-Master was the brainchild of piano tuner William Gruber. During World War II, viewers were used in training for the U.S. military, and more than 1 billion have been sold thus far. The most popular View-Master reel? The scenic reel of Mecca.

5_1202toys.jpg

1940-1949
Toy: Candy Land
Year Introduced: 1949
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Tonka Trucks (1947), Magic 8 Ball (1947), Scrabble (1948), Slinky (1948), Clue (1949)
Forbes Fact
One out of every three American homes owns a Scrabble board. More than 100 million sets have been sold worldwide, and 1 to 2 million sets are sold each year in North America alone.

6_1202toys.jpg

1950-1959
Toy: Mr. Potato Head
Year Introduced: 1952
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Silly Putty (1950), LEGO Building Sets (1953), Matchbox Cars (1954), Play-Doh (1956), Yahtzee (1956), Frisbee (1957), Hula Hoop (1958), Barbie (1959)
Forbes Fact
The original Mr. Potato Head contained only parts--eyes, ears, noses and mouths--parents had to supply children with real potatoes to play with! Eight years later, manufacturer Hasbro decided to include a hard plastic potato "body" with the toy to replace the real spud.

7_1202toys.jpg

1960-1969
Toy: G.I. Joe
Year Introduced: 1964
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Etch-a-Sketch (1960), Game Of Life (1960), Troll Dolls (1961), Easy Bake Oven (1963), Operation (1965), Twister (1966), Battleship (1967), Lite Brite (1967), Hot Wheels (1968)
Forbes Fact
How does the Etch-a-Sketch work? Exactly the way it did when the toy was introduced 45 years ago. A stylus is mounted on a pair of orthogonal rails, which move when you turn the knobs. A mixture of extremely fine aluminum powder and beads (which help the powder flow evenly) lines the Etch-a-Sketch's interior. When you turn the device upside down and shake, this mixture sticks to the inside face of the glass. And when you then turn one of the knobs, the stylus scratches off the aluminum dust to create a line on the screen.

8_1202toys.jpg

1970-1979
Toy: Rubik's Cube
Year Introduced: 1978
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Nerf Balls (1970), Uno (1972), Dungeons and Dragons (1974), Playmobil (1974), Star Wars Action Figures (1977), Strawberry Shortcake (1979)
Forbes Fact
Erno Rubik, inventor of the Rubik's cube, was a lecturer in the Department of Interior Design at the Academy of Applied Arts and Crafts in Budapest when he created his now-famous cube. The cube (which has 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 different possible configurations and only one solution) made Rubik the communist bloc's first self-made millionaire and Hungary's richest private citizen.

9_1202toys.jpg

1980-1989
Toy: Cabbage Patch Kids
Year Introduced: 1983
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Trivial Pursuit (1982), Care Bears (1983), My Little Pony (1983), Transformers (1984), Koosh Ball (1987), Pictionary (1987), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1988), Super Soaker (1989)
Forbes Fact
In 1985, the peak of the Cabbage Patch Kids craze, doll sales totaled $600 million (that's more than $1.1 billion in 2005 dollars).

10_1202toys.jpg

1990-1999
Toy: Beanie Babies
Year Introduced: 1996
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (1993), Lamaze Learning Products (1995), Tickle-Me Elmo (1996), Tamagotchi (1997), Furby (1998), Groovy Girls (1999)
Forbes Fact
Sales of the 1996 holiday season's "must-have" toy, Tickle-Me Elmo (which turned otherwise sane parents into angry, stampeding hoards), didn't take off until talk show host and comedienne Rosie O'Donnell pulled an old Groucho Marx gag on her unsuspecting guests. Every time a guest said the word "wall," Rosie threw one of the 200 Elmo dolls that manufacturer Tyco toys sent to her studio into the audience.

11_1202toys.jpg

2000-Present
Toy: Razor Scooter
Year Introduced: 2000
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Jumbo Music Blocks (2001)
Forbes Fact
More than 5 million Razor scooters were sold within a year of their debut. The original Razor Scooter was manufactured in the late 1990s by Taiwanese bicycle frame and specialty parts maker J.D. Corporation. President Gino Tsai, a mechanical engineer, claims that his legs were too short to move quickly around his large factory in Chang Hua, Taiwan, so he decided to give the classic scooter a sleeker, modern update.

Sarcasmo said:
2_1202toys.jpg

1910-1919
Toy: Raggedy Ann Dolls
Year Introduced: 1915
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Erector Sets (1913), Tinkertoys (1913), Lincoln Logs (1916)
Forbes Fact
Lincoln Logs were invented by John Lloyd Wright, the son of architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright was inspired by the way that his father designed the earthquake-proof Imperial Hotel in Tokyo.

5_1202toys.jpg

1940-1949
Toy: Candy Land
Year Introduced: 1949
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Tonka Trucks (1947), Magic 8 Ball (1947), Scrabble (1948), Slinky (1948), Clue (1949)
Forbes Fact
One out of every three American homes owns a Scrabble board. More than 100 million sets have been sold worldwide, and 1 to 2 million sets are sold each year in North America alone.

6_1202toys.jpg

1950-1959
Toy: Mr. Potato Head
Year Introduced: 1952
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Silly Putty (1950), LEGO Building Sets (1953), Matchbox Cars (1954), Play-Doh (1956), Yahtzee (1956), Frisbee (1957), Hula Hoop (1958), Barbie (1959)
Forbes Fact
The original Mr. Potato Head contained only parts--eyes, ears, noses and mouths--parents had to supply children with real potatoes to play with! Eight years later, manufacturer Hasbro decided to include a hard plastic potato "body" with the toy to replace the real spud.

7_1202toys.jpg

1960-1969
Toy: G.I. Joe
Year Introduced: 1964
Other Notable Toys Of The Decade: Etch-a-Sketch (1960), Game Of Life (1960), Troll Dolls (1961), Easy Bake Oven (1963), Operation (1965), Twister (1966), Battleship (1967), Lite Brite (1967), Hot Wheels (1968)
Forbes Fact
How does the Etch-a-Sketch work? Exactly the way it did when the toy was introduced 45 years ago. A stylus is mounted on a pair of orthogonal rails, which move when you turn the knobs. A mixture of extremely fine aluminum powder and beads (which help the powder flow evenly) lines the Etch-a-Sketch's interior. When you turn the device upside down and shake, this mixture sticks to the inside face of the glass. And when you then turn one of the knobs, the stylus scratches off the aluminum dust to create a line on the screen.

Of all these, I had the toys pictured and every toy/game listed :p

Shit, I forgot Legos. :egads:

Considering I ate a few as a kid and went to Legoland about 5 times in Denmark it's amazing that I forgot them.

I have a hard time believing that kids actually dug beanie babies. It was more like freaky house wives that were obsessed with them.

The fact there are no game machines on that list is kinda bs.

theacoustician said:
I have a hard time believing that kids actually dug beanie babies. It was more like freaky house wives that were obsessed with them.

The fact there are no game machines on that list is kinda bs.

I have never met a kid who played with Beanie Babies. I agree with you though, it was those weirdos and housewives who drive prices up past $2k a piece on Ebay. I never understood what the hell the deal with those things was.

Sarcasmo said:
Shit, I forgot Legos. :egads:

Considering I ate a few as a kid and went to Legoland about 5 times in Denmark it's amazing that I forgot them.
A buddy of mine and I went into Toys R Us over the weekend to get something for his son, and of course we had to check out the Lego aisle

They had a large Mars Rover set (almost 900 pieces) for, I shit you not, $2.48

On top of that, it was buy one Lego get one of equal or lesser value 50% off, so we got two of them for $3.72 :fly:

i had almost every toy on there. no razor scooter. my raggedy andy doll is sitting on my dresser upstairs. he's almost bald and his poor hat is hanging by a thread. literally.
i wish i still had my viewfinder. :drool: i remember staring into that thing and getting lost in the pictures.

ChikkenNoodul said:
A buddy of mine and I went into Toys R Us over the weekend to get something for his son, and of course we had to check out the Lego aisle

They had a large Mars Rover set (almost 900 pieces) for, I shit you not, $2.48

On top of that, it was buy one Lego get one of equal or lesser value 50% off, so we got two of them for $3.72 :fly:

This thing?

7471-0000-XX-23-1.jpg

"Sorry, item is not available in this country." (from shop.lego.com) :wtf:

I was a big fan of lego's. Also having six girls in our house we had plenty of barbie dolls, but my mom wouldn't buy us any ken dolls, still don't know why. I grew up a tom boy though and played with my neighbors GI Joes, dominoes, and X Men game pretty regularly.

Oh, I also had popples stuffed animal that has been through it all, I'm surprised that thing is still alive. Now I want to go find a popples movie.

elpmis said:
speaking of game machines, this morning a kid wrote a review for twilight princess, think it's shens?

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/thelegendofzelda/show_msgs.html?topic_id=25132393
Bullshit. The game hasn't gone gold yet so he isn't playing a final copy if he's playing anything at all. He mentions no specifics on boss names, the wolf feature, etc. He only got the game a week ago and he already beat it? Its supposed to be 100+ hours to beat. He'd have to play it for 14 hours a day, every day to finish it in that time.

kiwi said:
I was a big fan of lego's. Also having six girls in our house we had plenty of barbie dolls, but my mom wouldn't buy us any ken dolls, still don't know why. I grew up a tom boy though and played with my neighbors GI Joes, dominoes, and X Men game pretty regularly.

Oh, I also had popples stuffed animal that has been through it all, I'm surprised that thing is still alive. Now I want to go find a popples movie.

I had one ken doll and I used to make my barbies fight over him.....my ken definately got around. And I had a white popple, now that you mention it, I wonder what ever happend to it.