toyota passes ford to become number 2 in US sales

itburnswhenipee said:
*slumps shoulders*

awwwww man... I thought you were making a cool movie reference. Well, shucks.

I was waiting for a good movie reference too :(

*slits effigy of jack nicholson's nose open w/switch blade*

KNYTE said:
There's a huge thread about this on ar15. People are arguing on the side of "Toyota makes a good, solid car" or "OMGWTF BUY AMERICAN! FORD 4EVA!!"

My stance: Ford makes an Ok large truck/SUV, but their cars are absolute trash longterm.

April, when was the last time Ford won anything where the vehicle wasn't put together entirely by hand and had no connection to Ford beyond them being a sponsor?

Toyota's Made in Kentucky
Honda's Made in Ohio
Some Ford's made in Mexico
Some Dodge's made in Canada
AFAIK all Chevy's are still American.

So what's more American?

Coqui said:
AFAIK all Chevy's are still American.
The Camaro was built in Canada since 1982. Every LSx series engine block has been made in Mexico since 2001. Chevy's most popular cars are based on Opel, Vauxhall and other European and Asian platforms.

FlyNavy said:
The Camaro was built in Canada since 1982. Every LSx series engine block has been made in Mexico since 2001. Chevy's most popular cars are based on Opel, Vauxhall and other European and Asian platforms.

I stand corrected then.

BUY AMERICAN!!!! GET A HONDA OR TOYOTA!!!

Coqui said:
I stand corrected then.

BUY AMERICAN!!!! GET A HONDA OR TOYOTA!!!
Indeed. The Tundra, for example, is one of the most American vehicles on the road. Created by American designers and engineers solely for the American market, assembled with mostly American made components, built completely on US soil by American workers and sold only in American dealerships.

To be fair all of Chevy and Ford's trucks are also built stateside. Dodge does the same but they're as much a German car company as Toyota is a Japanese one.

FlyNavy said:
Indeed. The Tundra, for example, is one of the most American vehicles on the road. Created by American designers and engineers solely for the American market, assembled with mostly American made components, built completely on US soil by American workers and sold only in American dealerships.

To be fair all of Chevy and Ford's trucks are also built stateside. Dodge does the same but they're as much a German car company as Toyota is a Japanese one.

True. I just know a lot of the non truck flagship models are built outside of the country.

KNYTE said:
There's a huge thread about this on ar15. People are arguing on the side of "Toyota makes a good, solid car" or "OMGWTF BUY AMERICAN! FORD 4EVA!!"

My stance: Ford makes an Ok large truck/SUV, but their cars are absolute trash longterm.

April, when was the last time Ford won anything where the vehicle wasn't put together entirely by hand and had no connection to Ford beyond them being a sponsor?
I've got a good friend that has been a Saleen Certified Ford mechanic for many years - he basically told me that the only Ford cars worth a shit are Mustangs and Focuses; and that trucks, explorers, etc. are shit and are in the shop all the time

take that for what it's worth

elpmis said:
I've got a good friend that has been a Saleen Certified Ford mechanic for many years - he basically told me that the only Ford cars worth a shit are Mustangs and Focuses; and that trucks, explorers, etc. are shit and are in the shop all the time

The trucks are understandeable though (assuming you're using it for it's purpose) They get worked harder than any vehicle.

Coqui said:
The trucks are understandeable though (assuming you're using it for it's purpose) They get worked harder than any vehicle.
If they were in the shop all the time for wear and tear issues I think he would have specified that - I think he was saying they are in the shop a lot for mechanical failures, but maybe it's all related

I'll send him an email

elpmis said:

Saleen Mechanic.... :drool: :drool: :drool: