Towing with a Honda Fit

The pickup would be more to rent than a fullsize cargo van. Given that option, I would choose the latter.

incorrect .. you don't pay mileage on a rented pickup.

The fullsize van it would take to haul it is $535 for the week+ we would need it. Also, 12mpg isn't too appetizing for 1300 mile trip each way.

A pick up truck not a covered van. They rent Colorado's and F150s at Enterprise. Heck, I rented an Expedition for $60/day from Enterprise. Rent online .. it's cheaper than going to the store itself. You can also google "enterprise online coupons" and usually get 10-20% off coupons.

The money you spend renting a truck will be better than replacing your transmission on your brand new car later. Most trucks come with towing packages (except for the little "putt around town" ones) .. cars do not. Your trannie will take a beating if you tow that far with that much weight strapped to it.

It may not destroy it on your trip .. but you can be guaranteed problems not long down the road after the trip (if it doesn't act up on the trip). Towing puts great stress on the transmisson (especially automatics) .. and when doing it for any length of time with substantial weight .. you need a transmission cooler and another blower on your radiator as well (ie towing package) to keep things regulated and under control.

I stand by my original statement .. I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
I no longer want to have sex with you.

64746cfb72f8f90c.gif

incorrect .. you don't pay mileage on a rented pickup.
I would pay for the gas, though.

A pick up truck not a covered van. They rent Colorado's and F150s at Enterprise. Heck, I rented an Expedition for $60/day from Enterprise. Rent online .. it's cheaper than going to the store itself. You can also google "enterprise online coupons" and usually get 10-20% off coupons.

The money you spend renting a truck will be better than replacing your transmission on your brand new car later. Most trucks come with towing packages (except for the little "putt around town" ones) .. cars do not. Your trannie will take a beating if you tow that far with that much weight strapped to it.

It may not destroy it on your trip .. but you can be guaranteed problems not long down the road after the trip (if it doesn't act up on the trip). Towing puts great stress on the transmisson (especially automatics) .. and when doing it for any length of time with substantial weight .. you need a transmission cooler and another blower on your radiator as well (ie towing package) to keep things regulated and under control.

I stand by my original statement .. I wouldn't do it.

I called Honda and they said don't even think about it. I was looking for motorcycle shippers and I have been quoted with $555, which is very close to just renting the full van (not including the $400 in gas). This might be the best option.

(not including the $400 in gas)

ask for a Durango. I rented a Durango last year when me and my cousin BamaDJ and some friends went to NAshville for the weekend.

It was full when I got it. I drove it from the airport to someone's apartment, loaded it with 5 people plus all of our luggage, drove from Birmingham to Nashville (at 80- 90+ mph the whole way .. interstate), all around Nashville loaded with people all weekend, then back to Birmingham (80-90 mph) .. on 1 tank of gas. I filled up when I got to Bham before I took it back .. cost me $60.

Last edited:
man those 1 way Uhauls are usually expensive though .. and 2 plane tickets :lol:

I've been able to find them for around $500. But it's taken some looking and coupon finding. Also, the cheapest one bounces back and forth between Penske, Uhaul, and Budget.

I've been able to find them for around $500. But it's taken some looking and coupon finding. Also, the cheapest one bounces back and forth between Penske, Uhaul, and Budget.

Useless trivia, Uhaul (and probably others) prices are based on the popularity of moving between two cities, not the mileage. Gay, I know.

So, then how are you gonna get the furniture home?

You'll come out cheaper doing it yourself. Plus you won't be rushed or have time restraints.

The furniture breaks down and fits into a small car just fine.

One of the other options we are throwing around is just getting the bike shipped extra. It would be about the same price as just renting a fullsize van (not including gas).