Too sweet

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
Slashdot has banned the entire CNN IP range. No one on our network can see their page. That's awesome considering how much they link to us.

BigDov said:
What would the point of that be?? Too much news is bad for them or something? I'm confused.
Dunno, but the error message says ...
Either your network or ip address has been banned from Slashdot
...due to script flooding that originated from your network or ip address -- or this IP might have been used to post comments designed to break web browser rendering. Or you crawled us with a rude robot, especially one that doesn't understand RFCs very well.

If you feel that this is unwarranted, feel free to include your IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) in the subject of an email, and we will examine why there is a ban. If you fail to include the IP address (again, in the subject!), then your message will be deleted and ignored. I mean come on, we're good, we're not psychic.

If you think your IP number is different from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, tell us both.

If you are using a browser with some kind of add-on that crawls or caches pages for you, tell us what it is.

Since you can't read the FAQ because you're banned, here's the relevant portion:

Why is my IP banned?
· Perhaps you are running some sort of program that loaded thousands of Slashdot Pages. We have limited resources here and are fairly protective of them. We need to make sure that everyone shares. If your IP loads thousands of pages in a day, you will likely be banned. Please note that many proxy servers load large quantities of pages, but we can usually distinguish between proxy servers being used by humans, and IPs running software that is hammering our servers.

· Your IP might have been used to perform some sort of denial of service attack against Slashdot. These range from simple programs that just load a lot of pages, to programs that attempt to coordinate an avalanche of posts in the forums (often through misconfigured "Open Relay" proxy servers).

· You might be using a proxy server that is also being used by another person who did something from the above list. You should have your proxy server administrator contact us.

· Your IP might have been used to post comments designed to break web browser rendering.

Answered by: CmdrTaco
Last Modified: 7/02/02

How do I get an IP Unbanned?
Email [email protected]. Make sure to include the IP in question, and any other pertinent information. If you are connecting through a proxy server, you might need to have your proxy server's admin contact us instead of you.

Answered by: CmdrTaco
Last Modified: 3/26/02

eh, the three interesting articles a week will get posted on one of the forums i go to.

i stopped going there when it went from a pro-open source site into an anti-windows site.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Was that about 5 years ago? Cuz that's when I stopped going
between four and five years ago, yeah.

i check back once every couple months, but i've found no reason to read it daily.